Media Demonizing " Red-shirts"

HorseDoctor

Were you actually in Thailand to see the front page?

I know that not being in Thailand might make it difficult to understand but the UDD is not the only group wearing Red. They are the most active and somewhat the leaders of much of the red shirted movement but there are other groups involved as well.

Given that this appears to be one of the terms they apply to themselves, I am not so sure this is a valid point, HD

Red-shirted protesters will stage a mass rally at Sanam Luang tomorrow under the slogan "Red in the Land" before laying siege to Government House, organisers said yesterday.

Sorry to disagree with you, but it does make a difference and professionals know it. If you want an example, just read some of the articles on the Rohingyas. There is a big difference between articles which refer to them as refugees and those that refer to them as illegal aliens or illegal migrants.

It shows bias and that may be very much what they want to do. Unfortunately, for the English press, I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the vast majority of Thais and I don't think it will influence them.

Again this is about the red shirts (a broad coalition of different groups that can't even tell you what their goals are; NOT the Rohingya which are a group of illegal aliens in that they have not applied for refugee status in Thailand :o

Thailand's media self-censors. If it doesn't it is leant on.

It happened very much when Thaksin was PM. And now it's happening in the other direction.

as usual Briggsy is again right on the button.

It's always amazed me that otherwise seemingly intelligent people use quotes from Thai newspapers to argue about Thai politics. The Thai newspapers are good for wrapping eggs and excellent for rippening mangoes and in a pinch can be used for a good laugh, but not more than this.

... it is about the fact that the Red Shirts are more than just the UDD.

Blimey! I agree with JD. HELP! :o

I wish I knew all the acronyms for the different groups that wear the red shirts, but it surely isn't just the UDD.

It happened very much when Thaksin was PM. And now it's happening in the other direction.

It's always amazed me that otherwise seemingly intelligent people use quotes from Thai newspapers to argue about Thai politics. The Thai newspapers are good for wrapping eggs and excellent for rippening mangoes and in a pinch can be used for a good laugh, but not more than this.

Exactly.

That's why the Yellow Shirts are not happy with foreign press.

Truth hurts.

Things were so much better when Thaksin was in charge.

The redshirts refer to themselves as the เสื้อแดง (red shirts); it's written on their banners (and t-shirts?). The PAD always refer to themselves as พันธมิตร (alliance), never as เสื้อเหลอืง (yellow shirts). The media are not demonizing either side over nomenclature.

Exactly.

That's why the Yellow Shirts are not happy with foreign press.

Truth hurts.

Things were so much better when Thaksin was in charge.

So what has Thaksin got to do with mangoes Frank?

Edited by dee123

Sunday Nation in a front page story ( Sunday Feb 1,) does not once refer to UDD as anything other than " Red Shirts", yet the PAD are consistently referred to as PAD

What an obvious PADophile reporter Kittipong Thavevong is, or the Editor....

It appears the Nation nor the Bangkok Post have no competent editors, so what do you expect? If you can't spell or conjugate verbs, how could you be expected to get the facts right.