Motorcycle Touring In Thailand

rideswings

I've found the following to be true about biking in Thailand. 10,000 km (city and country riding) and safe so far.

1. Trucks and buses are the biggest danger. Always have to make sure you have a double buffer zone to escape an erratic lane change.

2. Motorway U-Turns are a death trap. Always try to use a bigger vehicle as a shield. If passing a U-turn area solo, move left and watch out!

3. Ride slightly faster than the rest of the traffic. Then you can control more of your own destiny. If passing, do it fast and loud.

4. Be ready at any moment for other motorcycle to do stupid things.

5. Wear all the gear all the time.

6. Be very careful when stopping for a red light if you are near the first to arrive. Always stop at the edge of a lane. The closest I came to being a statistic was when I stopped for a red light on the motorway and a car blasted right past me (within inches) running through the red light. This also applies in the opposite. Be very careful when going on green ... 50% chance someone the other way will blow through the red light.

7. Avoid riding at night.

8. Watch out for animals. Large animals like Buffalo can be spooked by big bikes. I once had a buffalo charge me. That was scary! If I go down, my bet is it will be because of a dog.

9. Use your horn and ride with your brake covered.

10. Practice evasive maneuvers and emergency stopping. Know what you can't and can't do before you need to try to do it.

On the other hand, I've found Thai car drivers (not trucks or buses) much more aware of motorcycles than in the West. I also believe motorcycle touring is the best way to explore Thailand.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW -- yes there are risks involved in riding (anywhere in the world) but not nearly the risks like stated above "almost guaranteed to kill you or your fiance'" is a load of <deleted>

<deleted>?? Is that actually a word?Would you like me to put up the stats on people killed per week in Thailand,riding motorbikes? Would that be considered <deleted> also?And these are experienced Thai riders... :o What chance does a foreigner,new to Thailand roads have?

"these are experienced Thai riders" That's a joke in itself :D

On a yearly average there are some two +/- people killed on Thai roads every hour, 24/7, most are on motor cycles.

Edited by john b good

I will agree that if you ride in Thailand you have to be careful and look ahead. Ithailian had some good insights. trucks and sudden lane changes are the killer or certainly potential hazard.

Just last night i managed to have a relatively serious accident, i was travelling in the 3rd lane on highway 4 near the Rose garden in Samphran. I was slowing for the upcoming U-turn (renowned for accidents) when from out of a side soi a loaded pick up truck (ute for aussies) sped across all 3 lanes right in front of me and promptly started slowing for the U-turn, i braked but unfortunately not enough and slammed into the back of the truck. luckily i always wear as much protection as possible. to end this story. the bike is fuc_ked, forks bent and twisted, but other than bruises and sprained wrist i am fine.

the police arrived and thankfully a local shopkeeper had seen it all and told the police man it was the truck drivers fault. insurance came and sorted out that they will pay for repair. which is where the fun begins........where in Thailand do you get parts for a 20 year old bike :o

so biking CAN be dangerous BUT so can crossing the road or drinking milk. when biking ALWAYS where a helmet etc.

Allan

Thank you for all the great posts and warnings. I have spent many months in Udon on the back of my GF's 125 Honda which we used as our daily commuter around 60km per day. I am aware of many of the problems involved in riding including obstacles, drunk drivers and inattentive drivers. In the rural countryside I see maybe one in 10 people wearing helmets which surely contributes to the horrible statistic of injuries and fatalities. In BKK, I see moto-taxis weaving in and out of cars and in between buses and the like, and speeding through railroad crossings, tempting injury and death at every intersection. I also see so many people riding 4 or 5 to a motorbike many times with their babies on the handlebars. As cute as this is to see, I imagine many of those kids never reach maturity. Im guilty of not wearing anything on my head but sunglasses many times.

So, Im still planning on going, but where I will be able to find a ride is another question. I will look into the guaranteed buy-back, and thanks for the insight Jdinasia.

Good on you for not letting the fear mongers get you down! I've toured 13,000km in Thailand in the last 5 months without incident. Sure there are risks, but it sounds like you are a competent experienced rider and as others have well said, the statistics in Thailand are a load of <deleted>. I'd say 90% of the traffic fatalities in Thailand involve alcohol. Stay sober and don't ride during the evening hours and you'll be fine.

For my two satang I'd recommend you guys tour the north by bike and then fly/drive/train down to the south, only because the drive in between is not terribly interesting on a motorbike, and in March it will be very hot, and you'd have to figure out how to get the bike back to the starting point unless you plan to ride it round trip or ship it back.

Don't worry about luggage- Thailand Post Domestic EMS is incredibly cheap, fast and reliable. If you know where you're going to stay just carry the bare necessities on the bike and mail the rest of your luggage ahead.

There are plenty of places in Chiang Mai that offer long term rentals, though I've never seen a BMW available for rent in Thailand. Two places I'd recommend for big bikes and excellent advice are Mr Mechanic and Tony's Big Bikes (not me, btw!)

Happy Trails!

Tony

No, "Tony's Big Bikes" is me! (Or at least half of it is). Some good and bad advice posted here IMO, the best by Tony above. If it were me, I'd try to get this buy back thing sorted in BKK then use minor roads to bimble up North (my choice would be to head east to Isaan then come up north via Petchabun NP and then Loei. Have a blast around the North then "post" your bike South. Both myself and LivinLOS recently did this - he paid 3000THB for a 400 Suzi Bandit and I paid 3,500 for an XR400 (it was higher so cost a bit more) - takes 3-4 days door-to-door.

Not preaching but a couple of other things - stay off the highways if at all possible - boring and potentially dangerous. Stay off the piss whilst riding (within reason!). Don't ride in rural areas at night - potholes, dogs pissheads e.t.c. Consider putting a post on GT-Rider asking for road condition info along your proposed route (e.g there is a f*cking huge hole near Mae Sot I think that you could easily hit and give yourself severe probs). Have FUN!!! :o

Cheers & the very best of luck,

Pikey.

I love riding about the country... But 'honeymoon' it isnt...

I will be the voice of dissent and say give the girl a luxury break near a stunning beach with on site spa and massage.. Let it be 'her' memory..

Then you get your tour next time round..

I've found the following to be true about biking in Thailand. 10,000 km (city and country riding) and safe so far.

1. Trucks and buses are the biggest danger. Always have to make sure you have a double buffer zone to escape an erratic lane change.

2. Motorway U-Turns are a death trap. Always try to use a bigger vehicle as a shield. If passing a U-turn area solo, move left and watch out!

3. Ride slightly faster than the rest of the traffic. Then you can control more of your own destiny. If passing, do it fast and loud.

4. Be ready at any moment for other motorcycle to do stupid things.

5. Wear all the gear all the time.

6. Be very careful when stopping for a red light if you are near the first to arrive. Always stop at the edge of a lane. The closest I came to being a statistic was when I stopped for a red light on the motorway and a car blasted right past me (within inches) running through the red light. This also applies in the opposite. Be very careful when going on green ... 50% chance someone the other way will blow through the red light.

7. Avoid riding at night.

8. Watch out for animals. Large animals like Buffalo can be spooked by big bikes. I once had a buffalo charge me. That was scary! If I go down, my bet is it will be because of a dog.

9. Use your horn and ride with your brake covered.

10. Practice evasive maneuvers and emergency stopping. Know what you can't and can't do before you need to try to do it.

On the other hand, I've found Thai car drivers (not trucks or buses) much more aware of motorcycles than in the West. I also believe motorcycle touring is the best way to explore Thailand.

Not sure that I agree with using a bigger vehicle as a shield at a u-turn. Better to see that the way is clear, then accelerate hard to match the speed of the traffic flow, than risk having a big vehicle pushed into you if he hasn't looked, or being caught on his inside blind spot and squashed under his wheels if he turns more sharply than you expect.

We should also add that you need to focus much more on the state of the road surface in Thailand than you do back home. There are various hazards like ruts and pot holes that can catch you out, not to mention piles of elephant and buffalo droppings ...

BTW -- yes there are risks involved in riding (anywhere in the world) but not nearly the risks like stated above "almost guaranteed to kill you or your fiance'" is a load of <deleted>

<deleted>?? Is that actually a word?Would you like me to put up the stats on people killed per week in Thailand,riding motorbikes? Would that be considered <deleted> also?And these are experienced Thai riders... :D What chance does a foreigner,new to Thailand roads have?

"these are experienced Thai riders" That's a joke in itself :D

On a yearly average there are some two +/- people killed on Thai roads every hour, 24/7, most are on motor cycles.

You don't think a person who rides a bike as their only form of transport is experienced? :o

After riding for many years both in Australia countryside and here i would agree with JD on most of the points that the statistics aren't that bad, having dodged Kangaroos and Wombats on the ride home from work each day on a zx9r at umm highish (150k+) speeds and windy country roads compared to what i ride here and these obstacles are a lot less predictable than anything on the road here and have never dropped a bike once touch wood, the risks are there wherever you ride is what i am trying to say, just don't be complacent, having a lot less motorcycles on the road where i was from means people were also thinking about them less and never gave a hoot about bikes, the thing that saved me there more than anything was having a real loud carbon fibre exhaust that people could here you there, whereas here they seem to look for bikes more.

BAZMLB,

:D I'm just wondering how many of Victoria's finest were tailing you or attempting to tail you?? :o

To the OP, I've got one for you. I was born on a motorcycle & was riding them within seconds of being able to sit up....I've covered a sh*tload of miles in the land of smiles & even had one accident years ago where I got off my ride & fell down a flight of stares and broke my shoulder...don't worry the bike is okay.

My advice.....TAKE AN AIRCONDITIONED CAR on your honeymoon!

Edited by neverdie

I have been riding big bikes in Thailand since 1993 and never been in serious danger. It all comes down to experience and driving attitude.

If OP is experienced biker and tours country slowly he won't have much trouble. There are thousands of experienced bikers in Thailand who never got involved in serious accident.

How careful do you have to be to not be hit by a drunk driver?As i said,i love bikes but common sense tells me it's a bad idea to travel so far on these roads.The more outside your safety zone you get,the more likely something will happen.The amount of close calls is a warning... :o But it is possible to not have even one accident in all your riding history,but seems unlikely.I have not been so fortunate as to have walked away unscathed after seventeen years on the road. :D

After riding for many years both in Australia countryside and here i would agree with JD on most of the points that the statistics aren't that bad, having dodged Kangaroos and Wombats on the ride home from work each day on a zx9r at umm highish (150k+) speeds and windy country roads compared to what i ride here and these obstacles are a lot less predictable than anything on the road here and have never dropped a bike once touch wood, the risks are there wherever you ride is what i am trying to say, just don't be complacent, having a lot less motorcycles on the road where i was from means people were also thinking about them less and never gave a hoot about bikes, the thing that saved me there more than anything was having a real loud carbon fibre exhaust that people could here you there, whereas here they seem to look for bikes more.

BAZMLB,

:D I'm just wondering how many of Victoria's finest were tailing you or attempting to tail you?? :o

To the OP, I've got one for you. I was born on a motorcycle & was riding them within seconds of being able to sit up....I've covered a sh*tload of miles in the land of smiles & even had one accident years ago where I got off my ride & fell down a flight of stares and broke my shoulder...don't worry the bike is okay.

Why is it i get a picture of a "Funniest home video moment" with you riding a pee wee 50, with dad chasing you down the paddock at full speed,as a 6 month old baby? :D

Well, I would second those who warn you of long distance bike tours. But I would rent a big bike locally. There is a large selection in Chaing Mai, I saw in another thread. Or on some island.

I'm getting really irritated by everyday traffic issues loke folks changing lanes without looking or using indicators or others pulling out in front of you, forcing you to break hard. You might make it, only to get rear ended by some car. It happened to me and it sucks.

Try the overnight train if one is available. Line down, read a book and use the cheap service and a good basic shower. Even car and van travel is not that relaxing.

I would rent a big bike for a few days, but not make the whole trip on 2 wheels. Enjoy your trip!

I have been riding big bikes in Thailand since 1993 and never been in serious danger. It all comes down to experience and driving attitude.

If OP is experienced biker and tours country slowly he won't have much trouble. There are thousands of experienced bikers in Thailand who never got involved in serious accident.

How careful do you have to be to not be hit by a drunk driver?As i said,i love bikes but common sense tells me it's a bad idea to travel so far on these roads.The more outside your safety zone you get,the more likely something will happen.The amount of close calls is a warning... :o But it is possible to not have even one accident in all your riding history,but seems unlikely.I have not been so fortunate as to have walked away unscathed after seventeen years on the road. :D

Ability to anticipate all the worst scenarios is one of the things what makes experienced bike rider or car driver.

Perhaps some of you find it hard to believe but I always look in my mirrors, anticipate actions of drivers behind me. Pretty much able to recognize driving pattern of intoxicated drivers. 500-600 meters down the road I notice people far away from the roadside but still anticipate they might try cross the street. Same goes if I spot an animal, large or small.

Car or another motorcycle in front, using left signal light, I expect in moment of madness they might turn right. Paying attention if driver looking into his passengers instead of road in front or talking on cell phone. Unruly children jumping up and down in car in front of me and so on. It saved my life dozen times, especially here in South East Asia.

Yes, there are close calls all the time, it's part of the game for all motorcycle riders and they know it.

No alcohol or any other intoxicating substances consumed at least 24 hours prior to trip, not to mention good night sleep. Rest your body and your mind will be sharp.

Light excersize i.e. 100 push ups 1-2 hours prior to long open highway ride will help a great deal.

Yes, never had a bike accident because I always follow these rules above. Fell of the bike only once, right in front of my house at speed of 25-30 km/h. Why? I just came back from very long trip and upon seeing my family I relaxed for 1 second and lost control on slippery road.

Ok, how much more dangerous is riding in Thailand compared to your home country? I have had 3 accidents in the USA and none in LOS (thank goodness), one out of my own stupidity, and the others due to stupidity of others. I am aware of the hazards to motorcyclists everywhere. So, in a nutshell, is Thailand just unsafe place to ride a touring bike compared to UK, Auss, USA, and Europe?

In the USA the single biggest road hazard is the infamous "soccer mom" who drives her enormous Ford SUV in a complete state of oblivion while talking on her phone, handing a bottle to her baby, and trying to navigate.

Edited by rideswings

You don't think a person who rides a bike as their only form of transport is experienced? :o

Not in the least.

Just because you do something all the time doesn't mean you have proper experience. Experience is what keeps you alive in an emergency situation. I doubt most of these everyday riders would react well in an emergency situation, simply because they don't have the knowledge or experience.

Doing something wrong every day doesn't make it right.

Ok, how much more dangerous is riding in Thailand compared to your home country? I have had 3 accidents, one out of my own stupidity, and the others due to stupidity of others. I am aware of the hazards to motorcyclists everywhere. So, in a nutshell, is Thailand just unsafe place to ride a bike compared to UK, Auss, USA, and Europe?

Bangkok is unsafe mainly because of the sheer volume of traffic. It's usually the chain reaction that gets you. Driver sees obstruction, driver switches quickly so he doesn't have to slow down, driver doesn't look. If there was less traffic said driver would have more time to check around him, but as it is if you slow down because you have to change lanes you'll get stuck for a while. I reckon riding outside the city is much safer.

Edited by Zzinged

BAZMLB,

Why is it i get a picture of a "Funniest home video moment" with you riding a pee wee 50, with dad chasing you down the paddock at full speed,as a 6 month old baby? :D

Hold on to that thought brother....BUT it wasnt dad chasing me it was some annoying men in mini cooper S and charger HWP cars....I never did stop to see what they wanted :D:D

Not sure that I agree with using a bigger vehicle as a shield at a u-turn. Better to see that the way is clear, then accelerate hard to match the speed of the traffic flow, than risk having a big vehicle pushed into you if he hasn't looked, or being caught on his inside blind spot and squashed under his wheels if he turns more sharply than you expect.

Well ... Maybe we are saying the same thing ... I just hate passing U-Turns without other cars in-front of me. The thing about U-Turns here in Thailand is that drivers about to enter the roadway from the U-turn don't expect motorcycles to be anywhere but in the far left lane The idea of a big bike hurling along at the speed of traffic in the middle or right lane is an anomaly so, drivers here just assume any lone bike approaching a u-turn isn't a worry (afterall ... that bike must be right because they want to make a U-turn too!). If I'm behind a big car as I approach a U-Turn, I feel much, much safer. I guess I should have said .. trucks and buses at U-Turns are the biggest danger.

Edited by Ithailian

BAZMLB,

:D I'm just wondering how many of Victoria's finest were tailing you or attempting to tail you?? :D

Why is it i get a picture of a "Funniest home video moment" with you riding a pee wee 50, with dad chasing you down the paddock at full speed,as a 6 month old baby? :wai:

Hold on to that thought brother....BUT it wasnt dad chasing me it was some annoying men in mini cooper S and charger HWP cars....I never did stop to see what they wanted :D:D

You're showing your age mate,mini cooper police cars.......... :o

Ability to anticipate all the worst scenarios is one of the things what makes experienced bike rider or car driver.

Perhaps some of you find it hard to believe but I always look in my mirrors, anticipate actions of drivers behind me. Pretty much able to recognize driving pattern of intoxicated drivers. 500-600 meters down the road I notice people far away from the roadside but still anticipate they might try cross the street. Same goes if I spot an animal, large or small.

Car or another motorcycle in front, using left signal light, I expect in moment of madness they might turn right. Paying attention if driver looking into his passengers instead of road in front or talking on cell phone. Unruly children jumping up and down in car in front of me and so on. It saved my life dozen times, especially here in South East Asia.

I used to tech this as a part of the "Defensive Driving" program in Canada. We called it "Situational Awareness". Too many people get tunnel vision and are easily distracted while doing what could be the most dangerous thing in their lives, operating a motorvehicle.

I tell everyone when they decide they want to ride in Thailand, keep your head on a swivel and always expect the unexpected. Western drivers are used to having "their piece" of the lane, and other drivers (for the most part) respecting the rules. They've also become accustomed to the police enforcing those rules a fair bit more than is done in Thailand.

Danger can come at you from literally every angle when riding in Thailand. From in front, the sides, behind, below and possibly even from above. You can't rely on a simple "shoulder check" and ocassional glance in your mirrors to keep you safe. You've got to be constantly checking, and thinking ahead.

As long as you remain aware of all the potential dangers and keep alert, you should be fine. We have a large group of guys that ride from Pattaya to Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and back to Pattaya every year with no problems (at least not in the last couple of years that I know of). Others drive all over the country, all the time, and seem to make it back in one piece no worse for wear.

I don't know that I'd do it as a honeymoon trip though. Are you sure the Mrs will get as much out of a trip like that as you will ?

BAZMLB,

:D I'm just wondering how many of Victoria's finest were tailing you or attempting to tail you?? :D

Why is it i get a picture of a "Funniest home video moment" with you riding a pee wee 50, with dad chasing you down the paddock at full speed,as a 6 month old baby? :P

Hold on to that thought brother....BUT it wasnt dad chasing me it was some annoying men in mini cooper S and charger HWP cars....I never did stop to see what they wanted :wai::D

You're showing your age mate,mini cooper police cars.......... :o

Ohh alright then....how bout XD Falcons then :D

I will be getting married in march and my fiancee wants to honeymoon for a few days in Chiang Mai, but I want to go to Phuket after that for some sun and water. She currently owns a 125cc Honda, but thats not suitable for long range touring. Is there a place in Thailand that I can rent a bigger bike, maybe 1000 or up thats good for touring? I want to try and avoid buying one because I would not want to keep it. The best bike for the job would be a Goldwing, Harley Ultra, or BMW R or K 1200 with bags and top box.

Also, does anyone have anything bad to say about long range touring? Dangerous? Any pitfalls?

The alternative would be renting a car or taking the bus or plane to Phuket, but to me thats not as much fun.

Well it, like most things in life, depends on a zillion factors.

How good a rider are you?

Are you scared and rattled easily?

Are you used to biking on the 1 litre roadships like HDs and Goldwings?

People harp on about its dangerous out here in Thailand, it is but not if you keep you wits about you and be wary of EVERYTHING!

Long-range touring bad things?- Depends on the highway you are going to be using. How far you want to go each day and the speed you go at.

Highway 1 isn't too bad overall, don't hammer it between Tak and Khampaeng Pet as it's in sht state there.

Highway 4 between Pranburi, Prachuap Kiri Khan and Bang Saphan is pretty sht as well. In fact I fcking hate that stretch, even on a big bike!

Don't take the bus man, those things are as risky as bikes IMO. Train is safer but sucks unless you get a sleeper.

The Cagers crowd (cars only people) will harp on about doing it their way, don't listen to them, do it on a bike and experience some of the wild sht on the roads of thailand.