Riding A Motorbike/scooter

jackinbkk

Hi,

I am a british expat living in Thailand with a mult entry non-o visa. I'm about to start a new job that will require

me to take a 20 minute ride to work. I have a UK/EU driving license. What do I need to legally ride a scooter

in Thailand? I am living in Phuket, but that probably makes no difference???

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to get a thai license for a bike???

Thanks

-J

post-71011-1233656528_thumb.jpg

post-71011-1233656569_thumb.jpg

I would advise to get one. Not that you will probably need it, but it is a useful piece of ID to have.

Take your Europe license to a test center along with you passport and a letter from immigration showing that you have a non-im visa. Take part in a couple of simple tests inside the center and bingo you have a Thai license.

Does your UK license qualify you to ride a motorcycle, I can only see a picture of a car on it? If not then yes you need a license. Although I would recommend getting one anyway, in case of an accident/insurance claim.

John.....

Yes true,it didn't cross my mind that the op might not actually have a bike licence already,so he would need one.

1. Copy IDP (international driving permit)

2. Copy passport.

3. Copy Visa (non-immigrant)

4. Copy entry stamp.

5. Medical certificate.

6. Two photos (not needed anymore, but bring anyway)

7a. Letter from immigration stating your address .

or

7b. Yellow tabien bahn

or

7c. Copies of your WP.

Double copies everything if you want to have both for car and MC.

And as posted you'll probably have to take the test for MC.

You can take it in English.

Edited by PoorSucker

I've only ever been stopped twice in Thailand and that was one of those 'STOP FARANG' road blocks they had on the Patong -> Karon road in Phuket.

Showed my UK drivers licence (Same as yours and they let me carry on every time, quite satisfying).

I don't think it matters whether you have a picture of a motorbike or/and a car on it, it's a driving licence.

I'd just use that and take the other guys advice of getting a Thai licence also.

Chances of getting pulled over and if you do get pulled over how much you're going to have to pay? Just make sure you wear a helmet and you'll probably be alright anyway!

Or get an international drivers licence,and have it translated and stamped in Thai.

I never had my International licence translated. Was also never a problem whenever I got a tug by the BiB.

An international licence is just that....a legalised translation, so why would you need to get a IDL translated ?? or are you talking about your own countries DL ??....if so this is not an International DL

If you are not a "tourist" in Thailand, you should have a Thai drivers licence for car and or motor bike, shouldnt be driving around on an international DL or your own countries DL...

Edited by Soutpeel

Or get an international drivers licence,and have it translated and stamped in Thai.

I never had my International licence translated. Was also never a problem whenever I got a tug by the BiB.

An international licence is just that....a legalised translation, so why would you need to get a IDL translated ?? or are you talking about your own countries DL ??....if so this is not an International DL

If you are not a "tourist" in Thailand, you should have a Thai drivers licence for car and or motor bike, shouldnt be driving around on an international DL or your own countries DL...

An international drivers licence,obtained in my home country,will NOT HAVE THAI LANGUAGE on it,soooooooooooo it needs to be translated in Thailand,otherwise the Thai BIB cannot read it....And if you don't get a government stamp on the translation,it is just another piece of paper....You can legally use your IDL in Thailand,my wife works in that government department. :o

That's because they cannot read it,and if they pursued the matter AND it turned out that the licence was in fact correct and legal,then it would be a lose of face for them,so easier to let you keep riding....... :o This is very common in Thailand. :D

Hi,

I am a british expat living in Thailand with a mult entry non-o visa. I'm about to start a new job that will require

me to take a 20 minute ride to work. I have a UK/EU driving license. What do I need to legally ride a scooter

in Thailand? I am living in Phuket, but that probably makes no difference???

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to get a thai license for a bike???

Thanks

-J

We would also strongly suggest you take voluntary insurance as the compulsory Government cover (CTPL) has very low coverage and does not cover such things as theft.

Please inquire at Thai Visa Insurance : http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Just a point of information. It's not an international license, it's an International Driving Permit. If it's filled in properly, not out of date, and your home country license is not out of date, the two combined are recognized by many, but not all, countries. The inside cover of the IDP lists the countries where it's accepted. Yes, Thailand is on the list, but according to this list, Thailand only regards it as legal for three months.

But if you have both of those, yeah, getting the license is a piece of cake, don't need to contribute to the tea fund.

Just a point of information. It's not an international license, it's an International Driving Permit. If it's filled in properly, not out of date, and your home country license is not out of date, the two combined are recognized by many, but not all, countries. The inside cover of the IDP lists the countries where it's accepted. Yes, Thailand is on the list, but according to this list, Thailand only regards it as legal for three months.

But if you have both of those, yeah, getting the license is a piece of cake, don't need to contribute to the tea fund.

Thanks for clarifying this....I have been saying this all along....I thought the validity of a IDP (or IDL if you prefer) was 6 months in Thailand, but if its 3.... ok....The point is if you are not here as a "tourist", you should not be driving around in Thailand forever and a day on a IDP(IDL)

As regards getting a Thai licence based on another countries DL, If your current DL is valid and you have a valid IDP (IDL) the process is very painless indeed

However as I do 90 day visa runs.. its still valid.. Tho I have Thai ones too.

Also as others are saying IDL's and IDP's are not interchangeable terms.. The IDL is a (kind of) scam thats just a translation of home country license.. The IDP is a legal document issued based on your home country license and is legal here for visitors.

I bought some 10 year IDL's online, very handy for waving at 3rd world cops, you can even let them confiscate it instead of a fine or problem, you will wish it was in any wallet you lose !!

The whole motorcycle drivers license is one of the biggest mysteries in Thailand, not so long ago I was having dinner with two friends who are Thai police officers. One of them is Traffic police captain and the other has little to do with traffic, but the question was what can somebody ride without a drivers license.

After a large amount of telephone calls we came to the conclusion that if you are at least 15 years old, you can ride a motorcycle with a engine which not exceeds 105cc (it is possible that this is 110cc, we never figured that out for 100%).