Crashed Me Bike Last Nite. Bloody Crap Thai Drivers.

thaicbr

One other thing I was going to ask you, "Did your helmet hit anything" If it did mate, throw it in the bin & get a new one. If it didnt hit anything during the crash, I'm surprised you didnt use it to adjust the car drivers view of the world! Idiot! :D:o

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neverdie it did hit. and yes i know what ya supposed to do. but seeing as how it was the 1st time i wore it and the fact its a 8,000 baht helmet. it aint going in the bin ( it only got a little bit scratched) i do need to get a new visor for it though.

i believe a lightly scratched proper helmet is still loads better than the shit you buy here eg index etc.

Allan

Talking about the other driver......it seems that straight after the accident, i caused a sensation. because the audience were suprised that i got up so quickly and ran after the truck to make sure it stopped. the thai english teacher even told my girlfriend when she turned up, they were laughing about it.

Edited by thaicbr

You'd think that the locals especially would be more aware, having grown up in this environment. How could they not develop some road sense after living here all their lives ? Or they just don't care ?

If we get to vote, I'd say they just don't care...

Glad to hear that you are OK and good luck on getting your bike repaired.

Hi Allan, just got to reading this - glad you are okay, like all have said the bike can be repaired or tossed. And good to see you are taking it all in perspective. Good luck on getting the bike fixed. Lots of lessons to be learned here. Hope to meet up in Pattaya, with or without bike!

Gus

Edited by Netfan

LTGTR. When you get away from tourist places you can be very surprised at what Thais are like a few years ago i broke down (puncture) along a quieter road, an old boy came along in his pickup not a word of english, but with sign language and pointing told me 'put bike in pickup' then off we went about 20kms to the next town to a little bike shop. the guy waited until it was fixed. and refused the 50 baht i offered him for the ride. he was just all smiles that he had helped the 'falang'

also it was in my own town as well, the people knew were i worked.

Allan

LTGTR. When you get away from tourist places you can be very surprised at what Thais are like a few years ago i broke down (puncture) along a quieter road, an old boy came along in his pickup not a word of english, but with sign language and pointing told me 'put bike in pickup' then off we went about 20kms to the next town to a little bike shop. the guy waited until it was fixed. and refused the 50 baht i offered him for the ride. he was just all smiles that he had helped the 'falang'

also it was in my own town as well, the people knew were i worked.

Allan

It's amazing that the same guy (or girl) that drives like a maniac will stop and help if you're in trouble. On my way to Hua Hin immigration one day i made the mistake of slowing down on the main road there and my front wheel sank in the mud up to the axle. A family in a pick up stopped, and dad, mom and the 5 year old son all helped me get it out. They also refused any reward, despite it being a messy job.

Depending on their mirrors?Most thais consider that as an accessory to be able to puke hair out of their nose at a traffic light.

edit:changed your nose to their nose as that would be more practical.

:o Classic

Shouldn't that be pulled rather than puked.

This all reminds me of the words of my teacher when I got my bike license in the old country:

When you go out in the traffic, always assume that all the others are

• Deaf
  • Blind
  • Probably drunk.... AND
  • Out to kill you

So take care, wear protective gear and happy riding.

Chris

Hi all. Thanks for the responses. it looks like i will get the bike back early next week. the girlfriend phoned them today (Thursday) and the mechanicals have been done its just being prepped for a repaint. gonna go down and check the place out on Saturday. cos bugger me they are fast. goody. Allan

They are repairing it. most done just waiting for them to source the downpipe and muffler. i was hoping to get back today, but they are now saying next week. arseessssss

Hows your insurance coming along ?? They get parts or give you $$

They are repairing it. most done just waiting for them to source the downpipe and muffler. i was hoping to get back today, but they are now saying next week. arseessssss

Bummer about the delay- I imagine finding a downpipe for that bike could be quite a challenge no? After all I can't imagine there were many CBR250s in Thailand to begin with. Hope they can track one down for you. If not you might have to source one from overseas. Muffler should be no big deal as any aftermarket can will do the job if the shop is half way competent to tune the bike appropriately. I guess you won't be trying to sell it at the Burapa Rally this weekend after all? :o Still hoping to see you there- should be a good one!

Happy Trails,

Tony

I was behind a girl in a Tesco queue recently and she bought a helmet. 80 baht!! Say no more-I'm sure it wasn't for her bicycle.

Hubby(Thai) and I have just come back from a round trip Bangkok-Lampang and boy did he do a lot of swearing!!!(In English so I could enjoy the moment too) Both having driven in Australia for nearly 30 years we feel here that everytime we go out in the car there's always some "richard cranium" on the road and up north was no exception. Just feel like drivers do what they want to do when driving"because thats what they want to do" and "thats where they want to be" No they don't use their mirrors. The only good thing in the country is at least they hang back at the U-turns -we knew when we were near Bangkok as the traffic stick their nose out much further giving you a momentary heart attack. From what we saw-if the police would do their job along with driver education then it might be a bit safer. When I went for my license here all I did was sit in a room.Apparently for 1st time licenses they go out into the car park for their test. I reckon it starts with giving the cops a decent wage .... I know, I'll wake up soon.

1 week on my bike here and i have been scared off, i loved riding the open roads in samui, but here it is a nightmare , no matter how cautious i am there seems to be no regard for others with thai drivers. It is not safe no matter how good a rider you are.....i just don't enjoy riding here, it has actually made me consider moving again!

1 week on my bike here and i have been scared off, i loved riding the open roads in samui, but here it is a nightmare , no matter how cautious i am there seems to be no regard for others with thai drivers. It is not safe no matter how good a rider you are.....i just don't enjoy riding here, it has actually made me consider moving again!

Where is "here"? Just wondering :o

doh.sorry BKK

doh.sorry BKK

LOL- no worries dude! Indeed riding in Bangkok takes some getting used to! Not my idea of a good time and I avoid riding in town as much as I can. In fact about the only time I do ride Bangkok's mean streets is when I'm taking my bike to Rama 9 for service or hitting various Bangkok bike shops. But anyway- it's not so hard to escape the city and there are quite a few places you can go for good one day or overnight rides.

Happy Trails!

Tony

doh.sorry BKK

Never been to samui, but after living/riding in hua hin for 7 years, i'm actually enjoying riding in bkk :D .

i don't like being really stuck at a light for 10 minutes - like at ramkamhaeng and rama 9 today!- but i think bkk is much less dangerous overall than hua hin. drivers in bkk have some idea of what they are doing and they have a bit of respect for bigger bikes - you gotta be heard though :D . they let you by, look before turning out from a side street, and the dogs stay out of the middle of the roads. try doing 130 on petchkasem road outside hua hin and seeing a dog just standing in the middle of the road- <deleted>??? oh, and no one in bkk has time to get into a road rage thing. i look at it as like being in a live video game. its taken a few months to get to this point and i try not to ride at night. don't get me wrong- i'd rather have a nice twisty road with no traffic, but bkk aint so bad.