Relaxation In Visa Monerty Requirements ?

randomchase

Hello fellow members

Due to the exchange rate, many friends are worried

if they can continue to abide by the monetary requirements for a visa.

ie 65000 baht per month. 40,000 per month married or retired, with 400,000 in bank

800,000, if have, ok as far as income, i suppose , but for at least 25 people i know.they are struggling to maintain 40,000 losing at least 13000 on exchange having to use savings to bolster lower transfers

So ARE there any plans to lower the requierments or is it, kick out time ??

there are a whole lot of foriegners in this trap. and they contribute a huge,

monthly income to Thailand random

icon9.gif

I could see the authorities increasing the monetary requirements,rather than decrease them.but yes i agree times are tough due to poor x rates,and diminishing interest being earnt on income/savings investments.only answer i see is to tighten the belt,or return home.

Yes, if you cannot afford a steak diet you have to fall back on hamburgers.

Which equates to, if you haven't got the dosh pull up stakes and move out.

Everyone is in the same boat (more or less)

Tighten your belt (perhaps it could be good if you shed a few kilos) and wait for things to bounce back.

These cycles happen round every few years. :o

The current global economic crisis is not the typical cycle we are used to, unless you lived through the great depression. There will be a recovery eventually for sure, but it won't be back to what it was. Things have changed fundamentally.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm trying to find out the options for a friend because of this problem

So far it looks like getting a double entry Visa in Asia outside of Thailand, and hope the exchange rate goes back up still looking/asking about other Visa Options without going back to the UK for it, as for many older people the journey to the UK is just to far.

The current global economic crisis is not the typical cycle we are used to, unless you lived through the great depression. There will be a recovery eventually for sure, but it won't be back to what it was. Things have changed fundamentally.

Agreed! "things have changed fundamentally"

But they sure need to change back a bit. Geo W Bush has left the world (not just the US) a legacy and a half.

If every one learned the basics "you can't spend money you haven't got" we wouldn't be in the shyt that we are in at present.

Geo W Bush has left the world (not just the US) a legacy and a half.

and left himself a nice little bank balance to boot... if he was a Thai PM there would have been a coup and he would currently be in ... well whereever he is now!

If every one learned the basics "you can't spend money you haven't got" we wouldn't be in the shyt that we are in at present.

once again, how very VERY true.. credit nation is over, and thank god it is, live within your means, its that simple.

as for the rates, i am assuming GBP to THB, going back to what they were before this, i wouldnt be too sure with that one either.

Hi, Randomchase,

Try a visit to the immigration office with all your previous documents, previous bills, bank books and so on, and explain your case. Unless the law is the law, if any problem the officers are ready to listen to you and can help or give some way to go... I heard already that it happenend, here in CNX.

IMHO: be well dressed, polite, courteous and explain what happens. If necessary, give with discretion some feed back on your situation here (previous visas, 90 days reports, your living...)...

Maybe they can sort you from the path for this time...

Maybe it will be a big NO-NO, but it worse a try... before going in expected hassles by oneself.

Good luck,

Gobs

Hello fellow members

Due to the exchange rate, many friends are worried

if they can continue to abide by the monetary requirements for a visa.

ie 65000 baht per month. 40,000 per month married or retired, with 400,000 in bank

800,000, if have, ok as far as income, i suppose , but for at least 25 people i know.they are struggling to maintain 40,000 losing at least 13000 on exchange having to use savings to bolster lower transfers

So ARE there any plans to lower the requierments or is it, kick out time ??

there are a whole lot of foriegners in this trap. and they contribute a huge,

monthly income to Thailand random

icon9.gif

The requirements are a bit scrambled in your post.

Retirement:

65,000 a month

or

800,000 in the bank for 3 months

or

a combination of income and money in the bank, totaling 800,000

Marriage:

40,000 a month

or

400,000 in the bank for 2 months

Must be the foreign husbands money in both cases. For old cases who do an extension before 29 Nov. 2009 immigration has the discretion to also take the wife's income or money into consideration.

As to your question, I can't see it happen that immigration will lower the requirements.

The law is the law. That's what immigration will tell you. And I would not expect it to be changed. Perhaps due to to political inertia. Perhaps due to a commonsensical understanding that there are always swings in the international monetary exchange rates. Unfortunately, it can be brutal. It certainly is now in some cases. And the fat lady ain't sung yet! Perhaps some people have lived on the misplaced reliance on the relatively favorable exchange rates between Thailand and a lot of the "expat" world since the "Thai bhat" crash. Don't know what that was?

Why not? If you are skating so close to the edge that changes recently have affected you that seriously, then you were heavily into some wishful thinking. Yes, a lot of people (including me) are pinched, but if you can't come up with the ridiculously low requirements the Thai government imposes, then you are going to have to move or go underground. Why should the government of Thailand be sympathetic with your case? Perhaps you should first stop paying for internet access and eating hamburgers! You can get by here on a song!

The law is the law. That's what immigration will tell you. And I would not expect it to be changed. Perhaps due to to political inertia. Perhaps due to a commonsensical understanding that there are always swings in the international monetary exchange rates. Unfortunately, it can be brutal. It certainly is now in some cases. And the fat lady ain't sung yet! Perhaps some people have lived on the misplaced reliance on the relatively favorable exchange rates between Thailand and a lot of the "expat" world since the "Thai bhat" crash. Don't know what that was?

Why not? If you are skating so close to the edge that changes recently have affected you that seriously, then you were heavily into some wishful thinking. Yes, a lot of people (including me) are pinched, but if you can't come up with the ridiculously low requirements the Thai government imposes, then you are going to have to move or go underground. Why should the government of Thailand be sympathetic with your case? Perhaps you should first stop paying for internet access and eating hamburgers! You can get by here on a song!

You seem to have your Knickers in a Twist

Getting by here on a song - is a different matter from

qualifying under the financial requirements for a Visa.

Bill

You seem to have your Knickers in a Twist

Getting by here on a song - is a different matter from

qualifying under the financial requirements for a Visa.

Bill

No, my knickers aren't in a twist, but I did express myself very poorly. Consider this reality pertinent, I believe, to most regulars on TV:

Thailand: GDP - per capita (PPP): US$8,700 (2008 est.)

United Kingdom: GDP - per capita (PPP): US$37,400 (2008 est.)

United States of America: GDP - per capita (PPP): US $48,000 (2008 est.)

Australia: GDP - per capita (PPP): US $39,300 (2008 est.)

Right now, at the USD:bhat exchange rate, an expatriate is expected to show an income (using the 65k monthly baht rule) of about USD 22,000, less than three times the per capita income.

What exactly do you expect from Thailand? I suppose that there are other less-demanding places economically as "home" where the price of admission is cheaper. Sierra Leone? No, they've just gotten past chopping off limbs of people and creating armies of children. Somalia? No, not unless you like freelancing on the high seas to make up for any pension shortfalls. Burma? You think Thai visa runs are bad!! Zimbabwe?...................

I am sorry that people feel the pinch. I am one of them. But don't blame Thailand for the problem.

Edited by Mapguy

Mapguy...you KNOW that you should not be posting after midnight, let alone 2am !!

Your posts have been rarther cruel to the OP, who in fact says that it is not himslef but his "freinds" that could have problems.

Try adding something positive instead of "If you can't afford it get out"

That's no help whatsoever

Mapguy...you KNOW that you should not be posting after midnight, let alone 2am !!

Your posts have been rarther cruel to the OP, who in fact says that it is not himslef but his "freinds" that could have problems.

Try adding something positive instead of "If you can't afford it get out"

That's no help whatsoever

=Thaipauly Date= 2009-02-05 post 2511105 . Well thanks Sir for saying What I have been thinking It was not me who was in trouble. as you say, kind sir ..

dont Worry Mapguy, I have enough money to see that all, of my friends,

dont have to worry. But it is Helpine policy to get people to help themselves

++ Helpline.Chiang Mai Random

.I was just seeking knowledge we did get some good feed back. but a lot of stupidity

thanks again Sir nearly got the flame thrower out for the " richard"

Randomchase, sorry, that was a rhetorical "you," not meant personally. On a positive note, I appreciate that OP is willing to help his friends. Thailand is not trying to put the screws to anyone. Indeed, although there might be a tough nut or two in Immigration, you'll probably get a genuinely sympathetic ear if you approach folks politely (as suggested by gobs in #9 above). Nonetheless, they don't make the law, and the chance of getting some sort of "waiver" would, I think, be very, very slim at best. Finally, I would not suggest attempting doing something under the table.