Great Fish And Chips At Last

JimShortz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next you'll be telling us your country is a continent and not an island :o

Oh, the shame of it, to have one's country be a mere island.

My island's a lot bigger than your island and definitely has a lot better tasting real fish & chips. Even the long island of our cousins ( N.Z. ) has better tasting fish & chips ( much better ) than the island of U.K.

But, back on topic, there's really not been anything very exciting ( ranging from mediocre to much worse ) about the fish & chips in CNX. Why not ?...I wonder.

Cheers.

Next you'll be telling us your country is a continent and not an island :o

Oh, the shame of it, to have one's country be a mere island.

My island's a lot bigger than your island and definitely has a lot better tasting real fish & chips. Even the long island of our cousins ( N.Z. ) has better tasting fish & chips ( much better ) than the island of U.K.

But, back on topic, there's really not been anything very exciting ( ranging from mediocre to much worse ) about the fish & chips in CNX. Why not ?...I wonder.

Cheers.

95% of which is desert and uninhabitable. There's actually more lush, liveable land in the UK :D

Now you're just being silly, that's like me saying Wales has better sheep than Oz just to get a rise... which it does incidentally. Although on that tack, I did spend a fair amount of time in NZ and the food, as well as the beer, was a big improvement on its brash, noisy neighbour. :D

We gave Chili Belle another go last week as we were shoping at Rimping and I was starving, a few things have changed.

Their chips are no longer wedges , still thick, better but I find it very difficult to enjoy a meal with plastic cutlery, my fork broke and had to be replaced. Also by the time I am finished I seem to have consumed half the tissue placed at the bottom of the basket.

Also the price of their Snapper has gone up from 59 baht to 159 baht. :o

My wife had the snapper , she said my cod was much better though. The snapper was curled up and looked as if it had died in agony.

The couple that own it seem nice , (my wife talks to everyone) both went to the same uni, this is their first business venture so they must be doing OK if they have two branches, I reckon they could make it and I wish them well ....who eats snapper anyway???

But real cutlery would certainly be a very inexpensive addition as would mushy peas :D

95% of which is desert and uninhabitable. There's actually more lush, liveable land in the UK :o

Where did these two classic gems come from?

I reckon most Aussies would consider that the British weather makes the whole place unlivable. not me though, I especially enjoy the British summer, it's just making sure you visit that particular week that makes things difficult. :D

95% of which is desert and uninhabitable. There's actually more lush, liveable land in the UK :o

Where did these two classic gems come from?

I reckon most Aussies would consider that the British weather makes the whole place unlivable. not me though, I especially enjoy the British summer, it's just making sure you visit that particular week that makes things difficult. :D

At any one time there are around 400,000 Australians living in Britain, that's what makes it unlivable! :D

We gave Chili Belle another go last week as we were shoping at Rimping and I was starving...

... by the time I am finished I seem to have consumed half the tissue placed at the bottom of the basket.

Crikey, mate, you must've been hungry. Can you order tissue as a sidedish, too? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked to forward on the following message by Charlie, owner of Cheerful Charlie’s Fish and Chip Restaurant, in Chiang Mai.

Greetings to all my customers from Charlie.

I want to thank all of my customers who have supported the restaurant, Cheerful Charlie’s Fish and Chips, over the last few years.

It is so wonderful meeting and greeting all of my customers, friends and fans of Charlie’s Fish and Chips. I am happy to hear how many of you enjoy my delicious real authentic English fish & chip meals and a pleasure to be of service.

As for my critics, just wish to say that the atmosphere and food at Charlie’s Fish and Chips restaurant is 100% traditionally English, there is no mixture of Thai or continental foods. This is what makes my restaurant unique in Chiang Mai. Perhaps some have been eating exotic foods for too long and lost their appetite for good delicious traditional English Fish and chip meals.

I look forward to welcoming everyone to my fish and chip restaurant and hope that you will find Cheerful Charlie’s fish and chip restaurant in Chiang Mai, the best you’ve seen yet!!

Thank you again for all your support, good reviews, and friendship.

post-11344-1237877405_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1237877418_thumb.jpg

Now, I ADORE fish and chips, and when served with malt vinegar, would be willing to eat my (ever increasing) body weight in them. But perhaps they could add just one wee dish of baked or BBQ'd fish? Cod is God to me, but I'm looking for "healthy" alternatives...

Anyway, I like this thread as much as the burgers ones!

Hubster loves Shepherd's pie. Should we start a thread?

I think that The Duke's has the best fish and chips. I tried Charlies and a couple of other places mentioned and found them to be not very good and expensive.

I was sadly disappointed with the fish and chips at Charlies. Tasted okay, but pricey, and small proportions.

silly boy can't u see the fish??!!

Of course you old turd, but there's not much of it there. Looks like he used a box of batter and a couple minnows.

Steady on sonny boy. Box of batter mmmm............ still can't see it can we. :o

Off topic, but I noticed last year that in one top 10 UK chippies contest the top 2 prizes went to shops in Scotland and Wales.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3204370.ece

Anstruther_Fish_Supper.jpg

Ugh..Is there any fish in that mass of batter?

Not true sir the Times article was written one week before the announcement of the winner, the 10 Chippies listed were regional winners. I did a bit "o" googling and found the top 3...yes the haggis bashers did get number one spot. Also another Scottish chippie has just won the 008 award. :o

National Winner of the 2007 Fish & Chip Shop of the Year Competition

Mr Gordon Hillan

Townhead Cafe

185 High Street

Biggar

ML12 6DJ

Tel: 01899 221001

2nd place

Andy’s Fish Bar

53-55 Market Street

Church Gresley

Swadlincote

DE11 9PR

Tel: 01283 224761

3rd place

Alastair Horabin

Seniors

91 Fleetwood Rd North

Thornton-Cleveleys

Lancashire

FY5 4AB

Tel: 01253 858585

www.seafish.org/plate/fishandchips.asp?p=gf184

... snip ... haggis bashers did get number one spot ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BasinBoy,

Forgive me for going slightly OT here, but as someone fascinated with language and slang, I was mesmerized by the term "haggis bashers" ! I did already know what a haggis was, but what intrigued me was the connection with the term "bashers" which implies aggression, and, for me, resonates with American slang like the BAD (Black American Dialect) "in 'yo face," or the contraction of "attitude" : " 'tude," as well as more enduring English origin mainstream American phrases like cock-sure. Or the more high-falutin' terms like braggadocio, an Italian import, surely.

While I've never seen a haggis in the flesh, as it were, I imagine it must be relatively soft, so the idea of someone bashing or hitting a cooked sheep's stomach full of tasty pasties seems off; so my guess is the term "bashers" is used as an independent noun here; the two nouns in conjunction having specific references to Scotch cultural identity. Used by non-Scots as a term of derision, or as "fighting words" ?

Appreciate any clarification !

thanks, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I was at the Chili Belle recently and there was a fellow there, I'm assuming he was British, who claimed to be an expert on fish and chips. Was it one of you guys? He had a lot of tatts, a shaved head and a kind of round face with a ring through his nostril with a small chain attached. My wife thought he looked quite a bit like a bath plug. I could barely understand his accent, but his knowlege of fish and chips apparently came from being from "a little place 'bar awl'(?)". I could be wrong on the name of the place but it sounded something like that. In between sips of Chang from the bottle, he treated me to an English riddle:

Q.: What's black and eats fish and chips?

A.: About 80% of Bradford.

As I have never been anywhere close to Bradford I don't get it but he enjoyed it. I have googled Bradford and am still in the dark, can anybody clue me in?

I was at the Chili Belle recently and there was a fellow there, I'm assuming he was British, who claimed to be an expert on fish and chips. Was it one of you guys? He had a lot of tatts, a shaved head and a kind of round face with a ring through his nostril with a small chain attached. My wife thought he looked quite a bit like a bath plug. I could barely understand his accent, but his knowlege of fish and chips apparently came from being from "a little place 'bar awl'(?)". I could be wrong on the name of the place but it sounded something like that. In between sips of Chang from the bottle, he treated me to an English riddle:

As I have never been anywhere close to Bradford I don't get it but he enjoyed it. I have googled Bradford and am still in the dark, can anybody clue me in?

Bradford is one of the towns in England that is heavily populated by muslim (and other) immigrants, along with their 2nd and 3rd generation offspring. White people are the minority in many areas.

Not enough food topics recently so I feel obliged to start one!

In search of the best tasting and best value Fish and chips in town. I think I have the winner - unless you can tell me otherwise...

I've just discovered "Chilli Belle fish and Chips" on the side of the new Rimping Supermarket (the one next to Airport Plaza). To find it just pull into the Rimping car park, walk past the door to go into the supermarket about 20m and there you are. Lucky you!

I've been twice this week and in my, not very humble opinion (as a Brit - and therefore Fish and Chip expert!), it's delicious and ridiculously cheap. It really is better than 80% of the now mostly non-British owned chippies in Blighty; Thai owned I think, but they sure know how to make batter and how to fry British styley...they even have cod if you want to fork out for it. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it: the snapper is delicious, as are the battered shripms and calamari rings. You don't get many chips (unless you buy a seperate large portion) but they are lovely - crispy onthe outside, but fluffy in the middle.

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

DO YOU OWN SHARES IN THAT DUMP?? IT WAS SWILL PURE SWILL ,I AM AT A LOST ON THIS TOPIC.. NOTHING EVEN EARTHLY ABOUT THAT FOOD MUCH LESS ENGLISH....

Not enough food topics recently so I feel obliged to start one!

In search of the best tasting and best value Fish and chips in town. I think I have the winner - unless you can tell me otherwise...

I've just discovered "Chilli Belle fish and Chips" on the side of the new Rimping Supermarket (the one next to Airport Plaza). To find it just pull into the Rimping car park, walk past the door to go into the supermarket about 20m and there you are. Lucky you!

I've been twice this week and in my, not very humble opinion (as a Brit - and therefore Fish and Chip expert!), it's delicious and ridiculously cheap. It really is better than 80% of the now mostly non-British owned chippies in Blighty; Thai owned I think, but they sure know how to make batter and how to fry British styley...they even have cod if you want to fork out for it. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it: the snapper is delicious, as are the battered shripms and calamari rings. You don't get many chips (unless you buy a seperate large portion) but they are lovely - crispy onthe outside, but fluffy in the middle.

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

DO YOU OWN SHARES IN THAT DUMP?? IT WAS SWILL PURE SWILL ,I AM AT A LOST ON THIS TOPIC.. NOTHING EVEN EARTHLY ABOUT THAT FOOD MUCH LESS ENGLISH....

Thats a harsh comment :D

It's not swill and its not pure swill in my opinion.

and don't shout...there's a good chap :o

Look guys, lets bring this to an end OK? Chilli Bell food is absolutely crap, disgusting, an insult to the words fish and chips, but the owner clearly keeps coming on here bulling it up. Thats it. Crap. Rubbish. End of story, OK?

... snip ... haggis bashers did get number one spot ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BasinBoy,

Forgive me for going slightly OT here, but as someone fascinated with language and slang, I was mesmerized by the term "haggis bashers" ! I did already know what a haggis was, but what intrigued me was the connection with the term "bashers" which implies aggression, and, for me, resonates with American slang like the BAD (Black American Dialect) "in 'yo face," or the contraction of "attitude" : " 'tude," as well as more enduring English origin mainstream American phrases like cock-sure. Or the more high-falutin' terms like braggadocio, an Italian import, surely.

While I've never seen a haggis in the flesh, as it were, I imagine it must be relatively soft, so the idea of someone bashing or hitting a cooked sheep's stomach full of tasty pasties seems off; so my guess is the term "bashers" is used as an independent noun here; the two nouns in conjunction having specific references to Scotch cultural identity. Used by non-Scots as a term of derision, or as "fighting words" ?

Appreciate any clarification !

thanks, ~o:37;

Truth is I haven't a clue why I called the Scots haggis bashers, I think it was the first thing that came into my head. Indians being called "curry munchers" makes more sense I suppose.

I have tasted haggis many years ago on a trip to Scotland it was from a fish and chip shop deep fried in batter, not at all soft, also the Scots do have a reputation for being aggressive, perhaps subconsciously I put these two factors together to come up with "haggis bashers".

Now you've got me intrigued I shall certainly discuss it with my analyst. :o

Cheers,

Basinboy

back in Chiang Mai for Songkran, looking forward to revisiting Cheerful Charlie, but reading above may give the Chilli a miss.

Well it certainly wasn't me, sound a frightful type.

I actually went to grammar school in Bradford, it is certainly has one of the UK's heaviest concentration of Asians mainly Pakistani's I just did a Google search and actual estimates put the Asian population at about 20% (73,000) mind you they seem to make up 95% of all taxi drivers. To be honest the place is a bit of a dump, but at least there's loads of good curry restaurants

silly boy can't u see the fish??!!

Of course you old turd, but there's not much of it there. Looks like he used a box of batter and a couple minnows.

Steady on sonny boy. Box of batter mmmm............ still can't see it can we. :o

If you think that's a real set of fish and chips, the UK is in sad shape. You really should try a set from New England, or even my local pub in Vegas makes that set look like...well he used box of batter and a couple minnows.

Edited by damian5000

Off topic, but I noticed last year that in one top 10 UK chippies contest the top 2 prizes went to shops in Scotland and Wales.

Not true sir the Times article was written one week before the announcement of the winner, the 10 Chippies listed were regional winners. I did a bit "o" googling and found the top 3...yes the haggis bashers did get number one spot. Also another Scottish chippie has just won the 008 award. :o

Mr Gordon Hillan

Townhead Cafe

185 High Street

Biggar

ML12 6DJ

2nd place

Andy’s Fish Bar

53-55 Market Street

Church Gresley

Swadlincote

DE11 9PR

3rd place

Alastair Horabin

Seniors

91 Fleetwood Rd North

Thornton-Cleveleys

Lancashire

FY5 4AB

Ok...Things make more sense now. I didn't think it possible that set could of won best fish and chips in the UK.

Not true sir the Times article was written one week before the announcement of the winner, the 10 Chippies listed were regional winners. I did a bit "o" googling and found the top 3...yes the haggis bashers did get number one spot. Also another Scottish chippie has just won the 008 award. :D

Mr Gordon Hillan

Townhead Cafe

185 High Street

Biggar

ML12 6DJ

2nd place

Andy's Fish Bar

53-55 Market Street

Church Gresley

Swadlincote

DE11 9PR

3rd place

Alastair Horabin

Seniors

91 Fleetwood Rd North

Thornton-Cleveleys

Lancashire

FY5 4AB

Ok...Things make more sense now. I didn't think it possible that set could of won best fish and chips in the UK.

Sonny boy you are hilarious, I mean, really really funny............. 'things make more sense now'............ :o 'try a set from Las Vegas or New England' :D ............... Do you know or have u been to England or the UK for that matter? Have u eaten English fish and chips in England? Tell us your experience if any outside of the old USA. Otherwise stick to the <deleted> you might call US cuisine.

Look guys, lets bring this to an end OK? Chilli Bell food is absolutely crap, disgusting, an insult to the words fish and chips, but the owner clearly keeps coming on here bulling it up. Thats it. Crap. Rubbish. End of story, OK?

NO :D

The owners are a Thai couple who don't speak much English, there is no way they could be the OP's ....apart from the breaking plastic cutlery its not half bad.....I take it you have been there and been non-plussed. I was the first tme I went there, but they have definatley improved their chips since then.

Your comments could be the difference between a hard working couple making it or not...think about it pal? :o

I would give you a right flaming but then I would suffer..so I won't...but you are barking up the wrong tree buddy

The Thai version of fish-and-chips can sometimes be quite novel, I recall ordering the dish in Pattaya when I first visited, and having the fish sliced into 1cm batons, dipped in batter & cooked. OK it was finger-food, not a traditional piece of fish, but it was also tasty ! :o