Snake In The House - What Is It?

Thai at Heart

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snake In The House - What Is It?

In my not so professional opinion, I would say" f****d" sums it up nicely.

Poor old thing, suppose if you have kids and no knowledge of snakes then battering it is the first thing that springs to mind.

Edited by Cobalt60

If folks would buy a small snake book and keep it handy it is an easy matter to find out if it's dangerous or not before beating it to death with a golf club.

Make snake hook or something then you can easily lift them up and put them out. They got got a place in this world as well as us.

WOW!

I didn't realise that there would be SO many here supporting my view that snakes should not be killed on sight, in fact 100% of you!

I only hope that the message will spread...

give the OP the benefit of doubt,....he was probably scared stiff of snakes like I am,....but I suppose your right and we should release them if poss

WOW!

I didn't realise that there would be SO many here supporting my view that snakes should not be killed on sight, in fact 100% of you!

Absolutely agree.

Why do idiots have to kill these wonderful creatures?

They all make the same excuses: I have children, don’t know enough so kill first and ask later.

I have had many snakes visit my home; I just spray them with water, than they slide away never to return.

Below is a photo I took a little while ago of a beautiful tree snake sun bathing on top of my main gate. These are venomous, again a few bursts with the garden hose and it was soon gone.

post-11344-1233942632_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1233942725_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

Sassenie, brilliant pic of the wet snake! It looks not amused ...

Agreed, i cracked up at that! Good idea about the water too.

Bringing my dog over soon, so doubt I'll have many visitors anyway (he is big and never seen a snake before, but I would guess it looks enough like a rope toy to convince him its for chewing!) Hope they just stay away from him - I neither want him to kill them nor them to bite him.

I disagree with most people here. If I would know the snake was not dangerous, I would not kill it. But I just don't know it.

There are so many kinds of snakes and about 50% is venomous. Some kinds look very similar. I've looked at pictures in a book, but I still can't recognize the snakes. I just don't know which one is dangerous and which one not. My baby of 1 year old likes to play with everything that moves. So, I prefer to kill every snake that comes to our home. I don't want to take any risk, even not a very, very small risk. Most of the times the snake is scared and I am scared (I don't dare to come very close) so I don't succeed in killing it.

Sassenie, brilliant pic of the wet snake! It looks not amused ...

agreed.. the close up is superb. :o

why don't you add it to the 'wildlife of Thailand' thread in the Photography section, and any more if you have them..

it looks like a Whip Snake..

So unfriendly replies of the wikipedia of snakes guys here. He is asking about it because he have no knowledge of it, he is not asking for anyone to be mean to him, just to explain him what is it. If I see a snake I would also freak out as I don't have knowledge of them. He is nice enough to at least get info first of what is it.

and about 50% is venomous

10% is closer to the mark :o

Whilst never having killed a snake myself, I do sympathize with the OP. If you do not know snakes and have kids in the house, what are you supposed to do? Get out the guidebook and try and find a match?

With kids around, I can't afford to take the risk.

The neighbours have found many in the last few weeks, one was obviously a cobra, and the gardener has probably cooked them for dinner. But when it is in the house, I am sorry, but it had to go.

I know this wasn't a cobra, but after checking on the web for about an hour I still couldn't match it, so resorted to TV. There are several venomous one's around, and rationalising getting bitten or worse one of the kids getting bitten is a simple decision for me.

The neighbours have found many in the last few weeks, one was obviously a cobra, and the gardener has probably cooked them for dinner. But when it is in the house, I am sorry, but it had to go.

I know this wasn't a cobra, but after checking on the web for about an hour I still couldn't match it, so resorted to TV. There are several venomous one's around, and rationalising getting bitten or worse one of the kids getting bitten is a simple decision for me.

hate to say it.. but you probably made the right decision.

Somebody in your same predicament/case who knows nothing of the wildlife/reptiles of Thailand would be as well (again, hate to say it) killing the snake..

But, now you know what to expect/& can happen, it would be a good time to start and learn a little bit more about these creatures & how to recognise them..? you agree..?

and about 50% is venomous

10% is closer to the mark :o

Whilst never having killed a snake myself, I do sympathize with the OP. If you do not know snakes and have kids in the house, what are you supposed to do? Get out the guidebook and try and find a match?

I think 50% is correct. Pilot guides. com says there are 163 species of snakes in Thailand of which 85 are poisonous to some extent. I had thought the numbers were 150 species of which 50% were poisonous to some degree.

Somebody in your same predicament/case who knows nothing of the wildlife/reptiles of Thailand would be as well (again, hate to say it) killing the snake..

But, now you know what to expect/& can happen, it would be a good time to start and learn a little bit more about these creatures & how to recognise them..? you agree..?

Absolutely, but in the end it comes down to an "expert" opinion when venom is involved wouldn't you think?

Why do idiots have to kill these wonderful creatures?

Because it is the will of God:

14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this,

"Cursed are you above all the livestock

and all the wild animals!

You will crawl on your belly

and you will eat dust

all the days of your life.

15 And I will put enmity

between you and the woman,

and between your offspring [a] and hers;

he will crush your head,

and you will strike his heel."

:o

Absolutely, but in the end it comes down to an "expert" opinion when venom is involved wouldn't you think?

precisely.. which is why i suggested you ought to be learning to identify dangerous Thai snake species right now !

not many of the notably venomous, if any, are particularly agressive here so once you can recognise them.. there's no need to immediately kill them..

an "expert" is only one who took the time to learn.. so it's 'up to you' as is often heard.. gow jai mai.

On the basis that another answer I had was that this was possibly a common Krait, I will read up, but in terms of becoming an expert in identifying snakes, seems there are so many variations that a lifetime of working with them is probably never enough to become expert.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-off-road...-snakes-11.html

Below is a photo I took a little while ago of a beautiful tree snake sun bathing on top of my main gate. These are venomous,

That's a green vine snake (Ahaetulla nasuta). The venom is mild and causes swelling. Symptoms will subside within three days.

Beautiful pic.

Edited by adjan jb

WOW!

Absolutely agree.

Why do idiots have to kill these wonderful creatures? Maybe the snakes visit because of your charming way.

They all make the same excuses: I have children, don't know enough so kill first and ask later.

I have had many snakes visit my home; I just spray them with water, than they slide away never to return.

They only visit once then? How do you know it's not the same snake(s)?

Below is a photo I took a little while ago of a beautiful tree snake sun bathing on top of my main gate. These are venomous, again a few bursts with the garden hose and it was soon gone.

Yes killing anything needlessly is wrong but give the OP the benefit of the doubt, its obvious that his quest for a answer here is a good sign for future sa-nake encounters.

I think 50% is correct. Pilot guides. com says there are 163 species of snakes in Thailand of which 85 are poisonous to some extent. I had thought the numbers were 150 species of which 50% were poisonous to some degree.

OK, I'll rephrase that: the percentage of snakes that are capable of causing serious injury to a human being is below 50% and certainly well below the 90% quoted by somebody here. (Though admittedly above the 10% I mentioned :o )

Edited by hanno

If folks would buy a small snake book and keep it handy it is an easy matter to find out if it's dangerous or not before beating it to death with a golf club.

Make snake hook or something then you can easily lift them up and put them out. They got got a place in this world as well as us.

Ok I gonna buy a small snake book and when a snake appears in my house near my children I gonna quietly sit down and search the book if the snake is dangerous or not.Never mind if in the same time I'm reading the book the snake kills everyone in the house. :o

Ok I gonna buy a small snake book and when a snake appears in my house near my children I gonna quietly sit down and search the book if the snake is dangerous or not.Never mind if in the same time I'm reading the book the snake kills everyone in the house. :D

Better a big snake book then you can drop it on the snake :o