An Act Of God?

Darknight

If there is a God, then his part in the tsunami was creating the set of rules that govern this corner of the universe and, therefore, the behaviour of the Earth. The planet does what it's always done and disasters happen as they always have. If the tsunami was the "will of God" then it wasn't as a direct result of his will but as a result of the universal principles set in motion by the Creator.

I don't think there is a God so I think this is just one of those things this planet does on a regular basis.

hi'

Angry is an emotion... I don't think the earth has any emotions.
more said as a feeling, and they also say we are just passing by like the way we may rent a place.

they and I do too, consider our planet alive.

it's a bit different when you consider things this way.

how do you use to leave the place when you change place?

I'm use to leave it as clean as possible, but you or me don't me the entire planet ...

those who decide for us are acting nonsens ... me think :D imvho..

it just does what it does.

like a reaction to something like in chemistry ... boomm :o

francois

Edited by francois

hi'

?????

hmm ...

let's say it again ...

Indians says "Mother Earth" and refer to "her" as a person or a spirit ...

they do consider "her" as alive like you and me ...

so, we 'humans" make things against "her" well being and without thinking to consequences for far too long ... Indians says ! (not me, even if I agree)

france did as many other countries nuclear tests for years and years ..

do you think that it hasn't got any impact on the planet?

I do :o

it's just a thought ...

francois

imho, god has got nothing to do with this.

Edited by francois

With reference to tuk tuk driver and the 7 ghosts, a taxi driver in patong told me a similar story on 12th jan. 3 europeans knocked on the door of a taxi driver they had used before at 10pm on the boxing day night and offerred the driver 5000 bhat to take them from kao lak to pucket aerport. They were begging to go home and were dressed in shorts and t shirts, the driver agreed as he knew the men and the normal fare was 2000 bhat. The driver chatted to the men all the way which was approx 1 hour, however when he arrived at the aerport there was no one in the taxi, the driver freaked out and went to the nearest temple.

The taxi driver that told me that story was genuine and the expression and sorrow on his face said it all. Wether he was told the truth I do not know, but that driver was totally convinced and you could not fake his facial expressions or deny the pain both in his face and as he told me the story. I am a quite open minded person and been around a bit, but have to admit it gave me a shiver and I will never forget the look on that drivers face.

Darren

hi

It does not matter whether we study sub atomic particle physics, or the outer reaches of space and time... there is always something smaller, larger, further or older... until It goes beyond human comprehension.

have you ever think that may be the way humans "study" things is sometimes done in a very wrong way ...

take a look at china's nuclear tests :o

nothing disturb you there?

we don't need God to destroy the planet ... just some nuclear tests,

add to this a pollution's level that's almost impossible to reduce, and the greed of some states and here we are!

catastrophies, storms, earthquakes, tornados, etc ...

and "they" still go on saying, "don't worry" :D

it's only a climate change ... :D

francois

Edited by francois

We are told that we must not question God... but as I am a non-believer, I can and do question.  :D

You ask questions of something you know doesn't exist? Talks to blank walls as well, no doubt? :o

yeah - I wanted to make the same comment. what's the point to question someone or something who or what doesn't exist (in one's opinion)? and continuing this natural logic : what's the point to talk about that at all ? :D

otherwise: let's discuss an existence (and a Tsunami as an act of those or whatever connection can be imagined...) of ..... purple with pink spots edible eeerrrhhh car's tyres with wings for flying in the sky ! huh? why not? :D:D

Well... Mother Earth, a 'She' person or spirit, is no different to a 'He' God imho.

The question is, 'Was the tsunami and 'Act' of God? 'Act' implying that it was purposeful. It would not make sense, for any God to punish His/Her 'innocent' children... only the 'guilty'. That is if it were a 'fair' and 'just' God. No? (that is 'supposing' there is a God.)  This 'Act' whatever 'casused' it, was indescriminate. Therefore I could only see it as a 'natural disaster'... and not an Act of any God, even if such a God exists...?

If a God does exist, then it is powerless against natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis. The God in question cannot, or does not, protect it's children or followers, or animals that perish... Therefore is not an Almighty God.

We are told that we must not question God... but as I am a non-believer, I can and do question.  :o

You've just touched on two of the points posed in the Riddle of Epicurus. No one yet has come up with a better/more concise argument against the existence of God than Epicurus did, over 2000 years ago.

Tsunami was 'divine visitation upon Sabbath pleasure seekers'

Thu 10 Feb 2005

IAN JOHNSTON

A FREE Presbyterian minister has caused outrage by claiming that the Asian tsunami was a "divine visitation" on "pleasure seekers" breaking the Sabbath.

Writing in the Free Presbyterian Magazine, the Rev John MacLeod compared the disaster to the biblical flood "on the world of the ungodly" in the time of Noah.

In the article, Mr MacLeod wrote: "Possibly ... no event since Noah’s flood has caused such loss of life by drowning as the recent Asian tsunami.

"That so many of our fellow creatures should have perished in so short a time, and in so awful a fashion, was a divine visitation that ought to make men tremble the world over."

More than 160,000 people - mostly ordinary Indonesians, Sri Lankans, Indians and Thais - have been confirmed as victims of the disaster on Sunday 26 December.

Mr MacLeod said: "To rule out the hand of God in this ... is to forget that He is in sovereign control of all events. If the sparrow falling to the ground is an event noted, and ordered, by Him, how much is this the case when the souls of so many thousands are parted from their bodies?"

He went on to say that some of the places most affected by the tsunami "attracted pleasure seekers from all over the world".

"It has to be noted that the wave arrived on the Lord’s Day, the day that God has set apart to be observed the world over by a holy resting from all employments and recreations that are lawful on other days," he said.

"We cannot but fear that it found multitudes unprepared for the eternity into which they were ushered so suddenly."

Mr MacLeod told The Scotsman he stood by the article but said he had concluded by saying such acts of God did not necessarily claim the worst sinners. "None of us has reason to be complacent, including myself," he said.

He said people should "of course" give to the tsunami appeals but refused to say if he had made a donation.

Other churches disagreed with his views. The Catholic Church said: "The view that the tsunami was some kind of divine retribution is utterly alien to the Catholic world view. Our belief is in a God of love, who suffers with us, not an avenging deity."

A Church of Scotland spokesman said the tsunami was "a natural disaster" and dismissed Mr MacLeod’s comments about the observance of the Sabbath.

Keith Charters, of the National Secular Society, said: "It would be a strange and vengeful God who acted in such a way."

Last night a tsunami survivor said Mr Mcleod should be ashamed of himself.

Alasdair Stewart, 51, was scuba diving off Phi Phi island in Thailand with an instructor when the wave crashed against rocks above him and swept the optician from Dollar, Clackmannanshire, and his terrified female guide over 30m underwater in seconds.

While Mr Stewart battled to save his instructor, his wife, Gill, 50, ran for her life to the roof of the couple’s beach-side hotel as the wave crashed against it.

The couple were only reunited after several agonising days helping the relief effort while each presumed the other had been killed.

Mr Stewart, who runs his own optician’s practice in Stirling said: "I feel Mr Macleod’s comments should be treated with total contempt. He has no idea what we went through.

"The man is a disgrace and should be ashamed of himself."