Got (almost) Robbed

kriswillems

Pepper spray is ok as long as its not windy, It can be blown back in your face and then the real trouble starts.

Its better to use a pepper gel spray ,this sticks to the attackers face and alot less chance of it landing on you.

colino

This is on sale in Thailand?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Thailand for quite a few years and never had a problem,

You have had one unpleasant encounter and now need advice,

would you seriously consider carrying a baton and pepper spray back home?

Some of the responses to the OP non violent request for money are over the top.

I suggest to the OP the next time some one ask's you for money “just say no”

If this is all it takes to freak you out, better stay home.

Situation:

It's dark.

You're alone.

There's no way to escape (all fences besides the road), for a few kilometers.

The thief screams he wants money.

The thief acts as he's pulling a gun and starts counting down.

After a few minutes, when I didn't see a gun, I understood this thief was not a professional. But I can tell you the first minutes I was scared like hel_l. I've told you I am not a macho guy and I am not used to fight. I think there are more people like this. Do we all have to stay at home?

I will buy the pepperspray. I have thought about the advantages and disadvantages. The other weapons seem more hard to use and much more dangerous. Pepperspray will also probably not permanently hurt the thief.

If the thief would have a knife, I would use the pepperspray. If he would have a gun, I will give him my money.

But most of all, next time i'll remember the license plate (if there's a license plate). I can read Thai, but I was so shocked I forgot to look.

The thing that freaked out the dog in my case was the flashing, very bright headlight with fresh batteries. When I put the light continuously on (not flashing) the dogs don't react, they think I am a motorcycle.

I am not so worried anymore about the dogs, I have been vaccinated already. I would advice people that often ride bicycle in Thailand to get preventive vaccinations. You'll need 5 shots over 1 year costing 250 baht/shot in a government hospital. If a dogs bites you after that you need a few more shots of 250 baht. The vaccine is called VERORAB.

If you don't get preventive vaccinations you need a serum that costs between 2500 baht (kind grown in horse, made in Thailand) to 18000 baht (imported kind) + the other vaccinations(VERORAB).

One very good way the reduce all risks (dogs and thief): don't ride bicycle at night.

Just act like you're crazy, nobody fawks with crazy people.

I had this in a certain situation one time many years ago, I was confronted with hopeless odds and all I did was act like I was a total lunatic, screaming shouting waving arms about, ripping my shirt etc etc, the guys left me alone thinking I was mad.

People are scared of crazy people, use it to your advantage.

This was not in Thailand by the way.

:o

Situation:

It's dark.

You're alone.

There's no way to escape (all fences besides the road), for a few kilometers.

The thief screams he wants money.

The thief acts as he's pulling a gun and starts counting down.

After a few minutes, when I didn't see a gun, I understood this thief was not a professional. But I can tell you the first minutes I was scared like hel_l. I've told you I am not a macho guy and I am not used to fight. I think there are more people like this. Do we all have to stay at home?

I will buy the pepperspray. I have thought about the advantages and disadvantages. The other weapons seem more hard to use and much more dangerous. Pepperspray will also probably not permanently hurt the thief.

If the thief would have a knife, I would use the pepperspray. If he would have a gun, I will give him my money.

But most of all, next time i'll remember the license plate (if there's a license plate). I can read Thai, but I was so shocked I forgot to look.

You have been given poor advice. Use on people at your own peril. There is alot more to owning a gun than just pulling the trigger!

If you are planning to use that spray, buy 2 cans, make sure you spray yourself several times at home & see how defenceless you become THEN hope that you never use it upon someone who is immune or that the someone never takes that can of you & uses it on you.

You DID get robbed, not almost - they stole 40Baht from you.

I always carry a throw away wallet (and I don't wear a watch). If they want my wallet, they get the throw away one. Fake or out of date/cancelled cards and a few small notes. I never had caried a wallet, so keep money either in a money belt (for real money) or squashed down in my jeans pocket. Wife told me a long time ago, never to wear your gold or carry anything that is not needed - then if you get robbed you losse very little. I have a cheap Buddha pendant that I wear day to day, the gold is for special occasions only.

Having said that I have never been mugged - have been pick-pocketed a few times (though in the UK and Phillipines, never in Thailand!). I rarely go placed on my own either - I don't ride a push bike - I am usually goin to 7-11 if I am, and only take enough to buy what I'm after.

Anything you want to take against someone is likely to cause you to get shot - either by the muggers or the police - so don't. Only thing that you can take to help with safety is some other people, friends or family.

If you have to ride a bike, is there not a club you can join to ride in groups?

Wolf is right, carry a decoy wallet. They really do allow you the element of surprise and the retaking of the initiative.

Carry pepper spray or a baton too if you really want to be armed.

My "friend" once sprayed me with a bangkok purchased can of "pepper spray" no label just black with red top. I was taken by surprise and it stung like CRAZY and my eyes would refuse to open for about 3 seconds, after which they wouldnt stop shedding water, but I didnt fall down and I did push him over where his head hit the table pretty hard, and I was not incapacitated by a long shot. Same effect could have been achieved my throwing sand in my face (and, as it happens, thanks to the same friend, has been). Now Im not saying anything about pepper spray as for all I know this was imitation knockoff stuff, but remember its an aggressive act and you want to be sure any aggressive act is immediately 100% effective in making your enemy give up one way or another, or its basically time to experience pain yourself.

My "friend" once sprayed me with a bangkok purchased can of "pepper spray" no label just black with red top. I was taken by surprise and it stung like CRAZY and my eyes would refuse to open for about 3 seconds, after which they wouldnt stop shedding water, but I didnt fall down and I did push him over where his head hit the table pretty hard, and I was not incapacitated by a long shot. Same effect could have been achieved my throwing sand in my face (and, as it happens, thanks to the same friend, has been). Now Im not saying anything about pepper spray as for all I know this was imitation knockoff stuff, but remember its an aggressive act and you want to be sure any aggressive act is immediately 100% effective in making your enemy give up one way or another, or its basically time to experience pain yourself.

Thats an interesting story Will & is just one example of what I was talking about. There has been in the past various OC sprays that are of slightly different concentrations, some cause a little more discomfort than others.

On the very first occassion I was sprayed, I was served a dose 3 x the recommended one & was able to fight through it for at least 2 minutes & did a fair bit of damage in the process. After that I entered a small world of hurt, have felt greater pain before & the main effect was litres of snot coming from my nose. The hurt didnt last long either & I am definately no special man, rather small compared to many farang.

I have used the stuff for years & have seen some very cranky people hurt others after being sprayed.

When they talk about only 90% of people being effected by it 90% of the time, they are not referring to people being trained to fight through it BUT in some people it just has little or no effect.

Theres heaps of other considerations regarding its use, I have seen many people suffer the effects of OC after deploying it & getting blow back from a gentle breeze (great, now your laying on the ground next to the person youve just hurt) and distance definately is a factor.

If you use the stuff, I hope you can run like all hel_l, there is a serious chance you may need to do that & YOU KNOW PAYBACK IS always a BIT#H!

Same goes with advice about running the streets with batons, knifes, chains, armoured tanks etc.....its one thing to possess the tool, its another to have it jammed up ur rectum.

Here OP, have a look at some more professional advice, it may help you: This is a small list of the 'don't do's' in your situation.ON'Ts

• Think you are too old, too busy or too tired to start training for self defence.
  • Wear Restrictive clothing and uncomfortable shoes when out at night.
  • Drink too much.
  • Go out without a mobile.
  • Use your mobile when you are walking back to your car alone.
  • Play your walkman at night on public transport.
  • Use ATMs at night.
  • Be tempted to purchase and carry a weapon.
  • Stop if you see something in the middle of the road. Call for help.
  • Don't use stairs if the elevator seems stuck on a floor. Call for assistance.
  • Draw attention to yourself by wearing lots of expensive jewellery.
  • Refuse to hand over your purse if you are being robbed.
  • Be taken to 'Second Location'.
  • Drive with low fuel as a detour may be necessary.
  • Stop Running.
  • Don't ever give up.

Its not my favourite list, im still looking for that. I not speak thru my bottom....ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO ARM YOURSELF.

Just act like you're crazy, nobody fawks with crazy people.

I had this in a certain situation one time many years ago, I was confronted with hopeless odds and all I did was act like I was a total lunatic, screaming shouting waving arms about, ripping my shirt etc etc, the guys left me alone thinking I was mad.

People are scared of crazy people, use it to your advantage.

This was not in Thailand by the way.

:o

Maigo, I see you still use this same tactic when posting on thaivisa? :D

OP, heres another list of TO DO'S:

Keep Fit.

Visualise different scenarios of possible attacks in your head.

Keep it simple.

Commit yourself to the attack if you have started to defend yourself.

Try one technique and if it doesn't work try another. NEVER STOP

Report the incident no matter how minor it is.

Be alert and keep an eye on your surroundings and others at all times.

If you see someone in danger, call for help rather than helping yourself.

Follow your intuition, some situations or people just don't 'feel' right.

Assess the situation quickly and make a decision straight away on how you will respond.

Always lock your car, even if it's just to return a video or pay for petrol.

Kick low and Punch High so as to not lose your balance.

Invest in a pocket alarm.

Have your car keys ready before leaving for your car.

Walk with purpose and confidence.

Use your lungs as a weapon; scream for help.

Stay in crowed areas.

Carpool at night

Edited by neverdie

Apart from some things best not to mention here :D I have never been in a confrontational situation like the one you mention.

However I would recommend just handing your money over - 40 baht, 400 baht, 4000 baht, 40000 baht... who gives a sh*t if you get out of it alive and then just carry on... alive!

I'm sure you feel angry but seriously just move on. In a few months it'll just be an adventurous story, rather than just getting out of hospital in a few months... or worse :D

If you want a defensive device you are bound to be entering the point of no return. The safest bet, if you must, is learning to use a staff - not legally a weapon so no crime and very difficult for someone with no training to use against you... but I don't recommend any form of violence! Also, it looks a bit funny walking around with a staff :o:D

I would NOT suggest arming yourself if you are the least hesitant about using what ever weapon you choose to carry. I carried concealed firearms in the US for most of my adult life, and never once had to draw down on someone, but I would have had no hesitation about drawing and discharging my weapon if it came to that. Thankfully it never did.

Hesitation in any plan of defense against an attack can and often does lead to dire consequences.

The list posted by "neverdie" is a good one; follow as many, if not all, of the things on it as you can. Learn to be ultra aware of your surroundings and any possible threats which might be approaching. You mention you had seen the moto-driver pass you the other way, and then waylay you in a more secluded area, so you were aware you just didn't perceive a possible threat.

I have never had a problem with a thai here (knock wood), but I have had several with too-drunk foreigners who thought they were "6 feet tall and bullet proof" (an idiom); they turned out to be neither.

I am sorry for your run in, and I hope this is a valuable lesson for awareness and safety in your surroundings.

Good luck

Edited by tod-daniels

My uncle started learning karate at 60 years old. He eventually became a black belt. My aunt did it with him, but she only got to brown. They didn't just give it to him either, he worked for it. Needless to say he ended up pretty fit and healthy looking.

That is an awesome acheivement Gravelrash! He should be very proud & you should be very careful not to upset him :o . Your aunt did well too!

George Burns was held up at gunpoint, "Your money or your life", demanded the guy.

"C'mon, C'mon hurry up"

"I'm thinking about it" , said George.

Actually that was Jack Benny, his schtick was being cheap.

That's correct. You beat me by 8 hours.

http://oldtimeradio.vintagelibrary.com/?p=13

I remember when a robber said to Benny "If you don't give me all of your money, I'll break both your legs." - Benny said "Does it have to be BOTH legs?"

This evening I wanted to do so sports so I went out for a bicycle ride.

I always take my wallet with credit cards, bank cards, drivers license and identity card with me.

I don't know why, but I had a strange feeling today, so for the first time I decided only to take money and 1 bankcard with me. I had a watch on.

When I came back it was already dark. A motorcycle tried to stop me, but it didn't stop. The area was deserted, there were no houses. He asked for my money. I said: "I have no money" (in Thai). I could keep him busy for a while by giving 2 times a 20 Baht bill. He acted several times as he would pull a gun and even counted down for the moment he would shoot. But I think he didn't have a gun. After that he tried to "ask" for my watch. I said I didn't want to give it. I could keep him busy a bit longer by trying to stop the cars that were passing (all while I was riding bicycle). Finally we passed a big gass station and I entered there. He got bored or scared and went away.

I had 2000B with me. He got 40 baht.

The owner of the gas station called the police. The police brought me home (about 15 kms down the road).

I live in Thailand for 1 year now. This is the second time I got robbed.

Do you have tips how you can protect yourself without violating the law and without making the situation more dangerous?

Where can I buy these things?

The most important issue has been pointed out that it is foolish to carry all your cards and money around any city unless you have a direct purpose in mind.

I have used my bycycle for latter 7 years around Pattaya and I have at times noticed guys eying me up so you always have to be aware.

I never carry any valueables other than a copy of my ID and a enough baht for a meal or a drink.

As for offensive weapons it is definatley illegal and could result in you having the bigger problem if you use them. Just imagin you have beaten the guy and he needs medical trestment, gues who pays.

How about simply filling a spray bottle with tomato juice and water. You can threaten to spray them with HIV infected blood. You could also clip a golf club to your crossbar as it is perfectley logiacl to say you have just been to the putting green if challenged later by police.

I hope you continue to cycle as you cannot let the sods get you down.

Cheers

This evening I wanted to do so sports so I went out for a bicycle ride.

I always take my wallet with credit cards, bank cards, drivers license and identity card with me.

I'd suggest the best way to protect yourself from getting robbed is NOT TO CARRY THESE VALUABLES WITH YOU whenyou go cycling,

A long heavy torch Yes, got that.

Pepper Spray Yes, got that. Canon, The best!

Telescopic Baton Yes, got that.

Leather Billy <deleted>? Sounds faggoty. :wai:

Electric Shock Baton Not yet

Flapper :D a What?

Sap Gloves :D a What?

Jeez Clayton, where are you from? :o:D:D

Here's a Leather Billy.

2009_0206Leather_Billy0183.jpg

Flapper - sorry typing error - should read Slapper, also known as a Blackjack. It's basically leather strap with a lump of lead in it. Extremely discreet & as with the leather billy, you don't need much force to lay your assailant out cold - be careful not to hit too hard with either of these potent weapons.

Sap Glove - surely you've heard of these. In use by many enforcement agencies, they're basically a leather glove that's loaded with steel shot in the knuckles. You can buy these both as a full glove or fingerless. Not only do they add power to your punch, but they also protect your hands from attack. No training required for these; especially for those already 'handy' with their fists. Ride a bike with the fingerless variety & everyone will assume you are just wearing a pair of track mitts!

A favourite of mine which I didn't mention is a Shillelagh - I've got two of these at home.

If you're worried about the consequences of using a specified weapon; improvisation is the way forward; tyre thumpers; bicycle chains, wrenches....the list is endless.

Of course just as others have mentioned, unless you're willing to use a weapon; you possibly are better off without one. Though I'd suggest that in most opportunistic situations as described by the OP, merely brandishing it would scare off the assailant.

It's interesting the comments regarding pepper sprays; of course no spray works on everyone, but 90% are very good odds. Not all pepper sprays are the same either; the cannon anti-attack is PAVA rather than OC. I've never seen either Mace, or CS sprays in Thailand; perhaps someone else has? In the US you can buy pepper spray rings - remember it'll soon be Valentines Day. :P

With sprays you can improvise too; ammonia (especially industrial strength) in a water pistol - a 16oz plant sprayer of this can be considered a valuable tool for home security.

Even if your uncomfortable with weapons; I'd advocate that anyone who's concerned about their personal safety should carry a spray & a personal alarm; at the very minimum; it will buy you time to run away.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour