Advice Needed On Self Employment Issues In Thailand

Hi there,

I am a newcomer here and have only just started researching Thai work permits/visa's etc, so excuse my naivety!

I cannot seem to find any specific information on the rules and regs on becoming a self employed westerner in Thailand (I am British). I would like to start a guitar teaching school in Bangkok (albeit from my apartment or by visiting schools to begin with) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding what I would need to do/have in terms of permits? Is there a base fee to becoming a self employed expat and if so, whats the criterea?

Any advice would be great, even if it will burst my bubble.

Thanks,

Hitthegroundrunning.

Start reading on the main ThaiVisa pages to get the basics then start looking at the forums. (Your bubble is very very likely to get burst if you are thinking you will be working legally in Thailand for yourself as a guitar teacher)

Start reading on the main ThaiVisa pages to get the basics then start looking at the forums. (Your bubble is very very likely to get burst if you are thinking you will be working legally in Thailand for yourself as a guitar teacher)

hey jdinasia,

ok, will do. just thought I'd get it out there first. Although being self employed would be ideal, I am also looking to teach in schools/music college's. I do know now that gaining a work permit through these schools is unlikely unless its full-time - which is also unlikely!

Thanks.

If you have the qualifications you MIGHT be able to get work with a Uni ... and a work permit. Otherwise you would have to comply with all the rather strenuous rules for owning a company in Thailand (minimum registered capital and Thai employees and partners etc .. and even then I don't know if you could call it a 'school' without having to jump through even more hoops!)

You might want to shoot a letter of to Sunbelt and see what they have to say.

If you have the qualifications you MIGHT be able to get work with a Uni ... and a work permit. Otherwise you would have to comply with all the rather strenuous rules for owning a company in Thailand (minimum registered capital and Thai employees and partners etc .. and even then I don't know if you could call it a 'school' without having to jump through even more hoops!)

ok, Sunbelt here I come...

If you have a bachelor's degree, you will be great shape to get Teaching English course and find jobs that pay a 1/2 decent salary, plus air fare and medical.

The pay is way better in Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

USE THE SEARCH Feature!!!???

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Learn-Play-Guitar-Find-Teach-t224999.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Guitar-Lessons-t198014.html

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/music-and-movies/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Guitar-Lesso...l&p=1547794

Sunbelt? you don't need a lawyer, yet, use Google --- sheesh all of your questions are answered 10,421,122 times at 342 sites!

Edited by eggomaniac

Sunbelt? you don't need a lawyer, yet, use Google --- sheesh all of your questions are answered 10,421,122 times at 342 sites!

Hi Eggomaniac,

Thanks for those links - although you seem to think my post was about where to find guitar lessons (I was specifically asking about the possibility of teaching guitar as a selfemployed expat, not being taught) it has provided me with a couple schools/contacts I can use.