Thai Womens Swimsuit Styles

rideswings

Can someone tell me what is up with Thai women and their old fashioned swimsuits? It seems that most Thai women prefer not to wear swimsuits at the beach but opt for the more conservative tshirt and shorts instead. Either that or a one piece which would have been worn in an early 1960's beach movie. Thus has been the story with my fiancee as well as the the last few women I have dated. Their bodies would have made proud any any string bikini but I was sadly disappointed when they chose to overdress.

I took my fiancee to Suan Siam and we rented swimsuits. What they gave us was something my grannie and gramps would have felt comfy in. Rats!

Edited by rideswings

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is the same. She loves shopping for bikinis, but I have only seen her wear one once. Thai girls are very shy in public, if you can find a deserted beach, then they usually don't mind. They also don't like being in the sun even if you apply 10 layers of sunscreen, so best to find a shady deserted beach...

Its not overdressing if everyone else is doing it, its just overdressing for you.

The average Thai woman is modest and does not feel comfortable displaying alot of skin. That attitude is changing in the cities (but not so much in rural areas) so don't ask her to do something she clearly feels very uncomfortable doing.

Yep its always mummy time when we go to the beach - quite amusing especially slapping on layers of sun screen when you are covered up from head to toe. Any consolation - have the old lady wear the bikini around the flat - they don't seem to mind that too much. :o

It isn't just a Thai woman thing. Most Thais have a signficant degree of body-shyness. Even in the gym, Thailand is the only place I have been that always has individual shower stalls with doors.

You must be joking! :o A large percentage of Thai women wear clothes as revealing as possible on Phuket! Funnily enough though, they still wear shorts and T-shirts on the beach!

I don't know any local woman where I live, young or old, who would wear a bikini on the beach. To assume that the girls you see wearing skimpy clothes in Phuket is somehow indicative of Thai women as a whole is either extremely naive, blinkered or ignorant.

I don't know any local woman where I live, young or old, who would wear a bikini on the beach. To assume that the girls you see wearing skimpy clothes in Phuket is somehow indicative of Thai women as a whole is either extremely naive, blinkered or ignorant.

If you bothered reading my post you'd see that I said that even the Thai women on Phuket stick to shorts and T-shirts on the beach! As for the rest of your post, I suspect that most people on TV live in tourist areas or Isaan. Either way, to suggest that the Thai women in these areas are very shy and virtuous is extremely naive, blinkered or ignorant.

If you bothered reading my post you'd see that I said that even the Thai women on Phuket stick to shorts and T-shirts on the beach! As for the rest of your post, I suspect that most people on TV live in tourist areas or Isaan. Either way, to suggest that the Thai women in these areas are very shy and virtuous is extremely naive, blinkered or ignorant.

I believe the term I used was modest. Suggest you take your prejudices out for an airing every now and then. :o

Seems I am not the only one who doesn't read people's posts in their entirety.

I recall a trip to Nakorn Nayok where we stayed at a resort with a stream running through it. All the Thais were bathing fully clothed. Shy or scared of a suntan, that is just plain weird.

I found many Thai women also went to bed fully dressed , right down to the padded bra and panties , however , some managed to take off thier chastity belts so they could breath(did i spell that correctly ? ) more easily :o .

I recall a trip to Nakorn Nayok where we stayed at a resort with a stream running through it. All the Thais were bathing fully clothed. Shy or scared of a suntan, that is just plain weird.

I found many Thai women also went to bed fully dressed , right down to the padded bra and panties , however , some managed to take off thier chastity belts so they could breath(did i spell that correctly ? ) more easily :D .

Can you tell us how you found out about this???

Must admit wife used wear t. shirt/pants etc to bed now wears nothing......... reason "ant" might crawl in her "gim" when she was asleep!!!! :o:D:D

Funny you should ask that question , I had read an article that stated Thai were down at number 59 when it came to the sexual connection , albeit number 1 when garnering 'Duck food ' . I decided to do a door to door poll to find out how true this was , well , what a shocker , when the lady was alone I was invited to find out for myself how false this was , the survey was incorrect . Whilst in the bedroom , the majority excused themselves for a couple of minutes , finaly out of curiosity I asked one lady why the delay , Öh "she said , "Had to remove this "holding up a leather thingy , "Hubby does not know I had a spare key cut , learned that off my friends " :D:o

modestly in public has very little to do with private bedroom behavior.

And I have to admit, I find these "stories" of men's "conquests" to be 1. in poor taste and 2. most likely an exaggeration

Gentlemen don't spread stories :o

I think I've mentioned this before but it is relevant so here we go again.

Back in the early 90s my then Thai teacher invited me over to a family gathering at her home. (She was in her early 40s and so would have been at University around the late 60s/early 70s). During the gathering she got out her photo albums to show us the various family members at different times and ages. All interesting stuff. Then her daughter starts commenting on her mother's beach photos - Her mother pointing out that times have changed.

The photos under discussion depicted beach scenes, which was explained to me to be student party, in which my host, a couple of the other middle aged women in the house that day and their friends of the time where all wearing bikinis.

We then had a discussion on how attitudes have changed and how bikinis went from being something that middle class women with what was then regarded as a western outlook would wear bikinis and that no derogatory comment of assumptions were made for them doing so, but that attitudes changed in the seventies as the image of a Thai woman in a Bikini became associated with Thai sex workers with foreigners visiting beaches and hotel pool areas.

So it would seem that were Thai women to really wear a 1960s swim suit then it might very well be a bikini.

Edited by GuestHouse

modestly in public has very little to do with private bedroom behavior.

And I have to admit, I find these "stories" of men's "conquests" to be 1. in poor taste and 2. most likely an exaggeration

Gentlemen don't spread stories :o

Sorry mod , please lighten up , did you not get the humour in my exagerated conquests survey ? Being a Brit , I guess i should keep a 'Stiff upper lip' and all will be quiet on the Asian front . :D

Can someone tell me what is up with Thai women and their old fashioned swimsuits? It seems that most Thai women prefer not to wear swimsuits at the beach but opt for the more conservative tshirt and shorts instead. Either that or a one piece which would have been worn in an early 1960's beach movie. Thus has been the story with my fiancee as well as the the last few women I have dated. Their bodies would have made proud any any string bikini but I was sadly disappointed when they chose to overdress.

I took my fiancee to Suan Siam and we rented swimsuits. What they gave us was something my grannie and gramps would have felt comfy in. Rats!

Context is everything. Europe, Australia, America, always willing to wear a bikini, anywhere there are Thai's around out comes the full coverage.

I believe the term I used was modest. Suggest you take your prejudices out for an airing every now and then. :o

Seems I am not the only one who doesn't read people's posts in their entirety.

F1finatics husband of 20 odd years ran off with a BG after they made there dream move to phuket? Need i say more?

OP best thing for you is to ask your wife rather than ask a bunch of people who think they know more about thai culture than thai people!

GH very similar to Korea and Japan today also. There are some topless beaches in China today and it is a big socio-governmental issue. Why was Victorian England placed as some kind of paradise of social morals?

Trying to reconcile fashion and culture is in itself probably gaining some young PHD student a thesis today. However, none of these countries have the level of western tourism as Thailand.

But in itself, it has to be mentioned that no one ever got into trouble for being over dressed!

Edited by Thai at Heart

Funny you should ask that question , I had read an article that stated Thai were down at number 59 when it came to the sexual connection , albeit number 1 when garnering 'Duck food ' . I decided to do a door to door poll to find out how true this was , well , what a shocker , when the lady was alone I was invited to find out for myself how false this was , the survey was incorrect . Whilst in the bedroom , the majority excused themselves for a couple of minutes , finaly out of curiosity I asked one lady why the delay , Öh "she said , "Had to remove this "holding up a leather thingy , "Hubby does not know I had a spare key cut , learned that off my friends " :D:o

I hope this hasnt traumatised you and keep up the good research :D:D:D

I don't know any local woman where I live, young or old, who would wear a bikini on the beach.

When I was staying on Pha Ngan for a few months a couple of years ago I became friends with quite a few local Pha Ngan residents (one of whom would later become my wife). We'd go to the beach quite often, sometimes in quite a large, mixed group. All the Thai girls in the group, all Pha Ngan locals, would always be wearing bikinis.