Buffalo Mozzarella?

dave9988

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozzarella_di_Bufala_Campana, it is manufactured in Thailand. Also, this website mentions it too http://www.expatica.com/fr/lifestyle_leisu...n-Thailand.html

Do they actually make real mozzarella here? I have never seen it in any of the stores or delis. And I am almost certain that, despite this article, Pizza company does not use buffalo mozzarella.

It should be porcelain white in color, stringy, soft, and melt in your mouth.

add salt, black pepper and eat with tomato, pepperoni and olives. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

And I am almost certain that, despite this article, Pizza company does not use buffalo mozzarella.

The Pizza Company does not, but the chain Scoozi has buffalo mozzarella pizzas. Haven't tried their buffalo pizza yet though.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozzarella_di_Bufala_Campana, it is manufactured in Thailand. Also, this website mentions it too http://www.expatica.com/fr/lifestyle_leisu...n-Thailand.html

Do they actually make real mozzarella here? I have never seen it in any of the stores or delis. And I am almost certain that, despite this article, Pizza company does not use buffalo mozzarella.

It should be porcelain white in color, stringy, soft, and melt in your mouth.

add salt, black pepper and eat with tomato, pepperoni and olives. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Dave, picked some up at Villa on 33 over the weekend, not cheap 249 baht for a ball of it.

Buffala mozzarella (made from cows milk) is available here. As mentioned, some of the pizza delivery places use it (Big Pizza has it on several of their pizzas as does Scoozi) However, real buffalo mozzarella made from buffalo milk i've never seen here.

The taste is far superior, but it goes bad very quickly so cannot be processed/packaged etc and usaually gets consumed close to source.

Buffala mozzarella (made from cows milk) is available here. As mentioned, some of the pizza delivery places use it (Big Pizza has it on several of their pizzas as does Scoozi) However, real buffalo mozzarella made from buffalo milk i've never seen here.

The taste is far superior, but it goes bad very quickly so cannot be processed/packaged etc and usaually gets consumed close to source.

i bought it today at paragon. crazy expensive. i think 380 baht for 125 grams.

does anyone know if there is a cheaper source for restaurants, as opposed to these individual packages?

regular, low moisture mozarella is not expensive. even ricotta is fairly reasonable at 270 baht for a decent sized tub.

does anyone know if there is a cheaper source for restaurants, as opposed to these individual packages?

regular, low moisture mozarella is not expensive. even ricotta is fairly reasonable at 270 baht for a decent sized tub.

See my above post.

Local stuff can be found at Central Chitlom for a fraction of the price of imported.

I remember another thread mentioning it could be bought in Makro for 620 baht per 2 kilogram package.

Never tried it though... maybe I'll check it out soon.

Just came back from Makro and bought mozzarella brand "Aro" for 315 baht for 1kg, already shredded and pre-frozen.

Microwaved some with slices of pepperoni in order to sample the cheese's "gooeyness" (as mozzarella should be) vs. its "creaminess" (as mozzarella should not).

Came out quite good! :o

Just a few days ago The Bangkok Post ran an article about a guy who has a farm in Chachoengsau where he makes real Mozzarella di Buffala from real buffalos.

He sells his mozzarella in his shop/restaurant on Ramkhamhaeng Soi 112.

BTW, usually you don't use mozzarella di buffala for pizza. Normal mozzarella is usually used, both here and in Italy.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a few days ago The Bangkok Post ran an article about a guy who has a farm in Chachoengsau where he makes real Mozzarella di Buffala from real buffalos.

He sells his mozzarella in his shop/restaurant on Ramkhamhaeng Soi 112.

BTW, usually you don't use mozzarella di buffala for pizza. Normal mozzarella is usually used, both here and in Italy.

I bought a while ago 2 buffalo's mozzarella from the Central Store, one imported from Italy and one made here in Thailand which was about 100-150 baht cheaper, the thai version (Murrah Dairy Farm in Chachoengsao) was something really horrible, something that really hasn't got anything to do with the taste of a real mozzarella, i read they inseminated a local buffalo with the semen of a BULGARIAN buffalo, so i don't know if that's from where the problem with the taste originated from, however, that something i will never eat again for sure, not even if they give them away for free, i am sorry for all those who try this and think that's how an italian buffalo mozzarella tastes like....not even close to it....in the end, better you spend that little bit more but make sure is coming from where it supposed to(Italy) untill someone will come up with a good one locally.

you get it at murrah café (left side, about 50 meters after swiss corner) in moobaan sammakorn, ramkamhaeng soi 112. really tasty and not made out of cows´ milk.

don´t buy it at villa market, yo´ll pay at least double...i had a laughing fit seeing the price!

has good buffalo yoghurt (non-sweetened), ricotta...as well.

I had some at a Royal Project demo.

The demo guy said it was buffalo mozzarella, but was made from some kind of Indian buffalo milk.

It is mentioned in this article:

http://www.muantae.com/index.php?option=co...1&Itemid=30

The Royal Project is also working on a water buffalo dairy programme to produce mozzarella cheese.

They also had some feta that was quite good.

Not sure what it was made from, but I recall the guy said it wasn't sheep.... goat, I think.

So you might check at the Royal Project website or local store.

www.royalprojectthailand.com

• 3 weeks later...

went to the Murrah coffee shop to find out about the rest of the productions as well, noticed that there the mozzarella was priced just 80 baht (against the 300-350 of the Central Store for the same product), either they realize that there is no way this can compete with the taste of the "real" stuff imported from Italy (priced around 400-500 baht) or Central was having some kind of nice profit from it, i don't know, however, the youghurt was just ok, nothing special, milk ok, ricotta a big no-no hard like a stone and poor in taste and texture a fresh ricotta should have, in other words is a bit like comparing eating at McDonald with a classy restaurant.