Type Of Visa Needed To Get Work Permit?

Hello

I was hoping someone in the know could help me.

I'm currently on a 12 months non immigrant O visa which runs out in May 2009. My Thai wife and I

are in the process of setting up / registering a Thai Limited Partnership company.

I've had conflicting advice from so called Thai lawyers, on if I can gain a work permit on my current non-O visa ?

Or if I have to change it now to a Business visa ?

One said I could remain on the non-O visa get a work permit and then in May change to a Business visa and the work permit would just continue.

Whilst someone else said that I would have to gain a Business visa first before I could get a work permit?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards.

You can get a work permit on your non-o visa or extension based upon marriage. This is common question and the same problem with lawyers. They should check with the labour department instead of giving bad advise.

You should also be aware that being married to a Thai reduces the number of empolyees to 2 and reduces the finacial requirement by half also to get a work permit.

After getting the work permit you can use your income by showing tax receipts to prove the 40,000 baht income needed for an extension based upon marriage.

Thanks for the fast replies !

There will only be my wife and myself as staff. I'm will be working as a sub-contractor for another company who will pay me for my services and it's over 40000B per month. Plus I can do other work on the side as I will have my own company and WP and I am not restricted to working at one employer as it were.

So it sounds like I don't need a business visa as I am married I can just apply for an extension on my O visa and show my income is that right?

Cheers

Thanks for the fast replies !

There will only be my wife and myself as staff. I'm will be working as a sub-contractor for another company who will pay me for my services and it's over 40000B per month. Plus I can do other work on the side as I will have my own company and WP and I am not restricted to working at one employer as it were.

So it sounds like I don't need a business visa as I am married I can just apply for an extension on my O visa and show my income is that right?

Cheers

Another question is the non-O extension for 12 months ? And will I still need to do Visa runs if I have a WP and paying taxes?

Can I sign at the immigration office every 3 months instead ?

Thanks again for your help.

Unless your lawyer can get the work permit without them you will need to have 2 Thai employees one could be your wife and the other could be a maid to clean the office. You need your lawyer to sort that out for you. Normally work permits are issued to work in only one location and one job description for one company or business.

You don't need to get a business visa or get an extension for work. Your 1 year extension based upon marriage is enough.

It is no longer a visa once you are in the country it is a permit to stay so the term non-o does not apply anymore.

When you get the 1 year extension of your permit to stay you will only need to make 90 days reports to immigration. Also if you want to leave the country you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your extension.