Seven Lazy Little Meter Taxis All In A Row

fishhooks

Having not been to Pattaya for about 12 months, it was interesting to see all these new Meter Taxis around and about.

So, me thinking that when we check out of the Royal Twins Hotel, opposite Royal Garden Plaza, it would be nice for wife and I to ride to the Bus Station in one of these:

"Right" NO "Wrong"

First up, the phone number proudly displayed on the side of these little cars did not respond after about 15 minutes of trying, just rings out.

Next, clever me remembers often seeing several of these little cars parked, like in a Taxi Rank, just down from Royal Garden P. in 2ND Road.

So should we venture out of the hotel, bags in hand and approach said Taxi Rank, quick decision, yes, so off we go.

As we approach the 7 little parked machines, with drivers various, a couple of them come bounding toward us: Where you go?

Just to the Bus Station please: Two of them shouting 200Baht, 200Baht. But I say what about the METER........ no.......200Baht

So we cross the road and into the good ol' Baht Bus and to the Bus Station for 100Baht, I think in the past I have got for about 80, leaving the 7 little Taxis whose drivers are obviously very rich and don't have families to support to lounge around on the sidewalk, doing whatever 7 taxi drivers normally do when they could be earning a quid!

At the Bus Station we had quite a wait for our bus, so I thought I'd go out front and watch what type of vehicles bring customers to the Bus Station.

Strangely over a long period, only one Meter Taxi arrived, the type with the extended back for extra luggage.

Questions:

Is there a type of Ma... operating here whereby Meter Taxis are banned from taking customers to the Bus Station, in favor of Baht Buses?

Was the ONE Meter Taxi I did see at the Bus Station a "Bullet Proof" type?

Just ignore 'Meter' taxi drivers in Pattaya. They are just waiting for mugs like Koreans or Russians.

A baht bus direct to the bus station like you said is 100 Baht maximum, a Thai would bargain down to 60-80 Baht.

But you could have taken a baht bus to dolphin for 10 baht, then another baht bus to the bus station 10 baht. Total cost for two people 40 baht.

We made a visit a few months, per advice of friends and local stay with the baht buses(with care of surrounding(few pick pocket)) ride them or a hotel taxis when possible. :D We were approach by a meter driver, seem a very nice guy but breath smell of beer. :o:D

The point I still can't get over is, what the f... do these guys want to do?

With 7 of them just sitting around, it seems that income is just not an issue here, probably like the thousands over the country who throw away money every day for not bothering to simply put a helmet on their scone.

Their function is to "prove" that Bangkok style taxi meters cannot work in Pattaya. They are a show fully owned by the baht bus mafia which hopes to have a stranglehold on Pattaya public transport for another 100 year reich. Competition (REAL Bangkok style taxi meters) from another company is not allowed. They have put on a grand show of trying out a taxi meter system that to the untrained eye appears like a taxi meter system, but it is nothing of the kind. What is needed is some Thai people with some balls to change this. Maybe in 100 years.

The drivers that do exist as said will never use the meters (and yes they have meters) but are only waiting for tourist suckers. They are happy to sit most of the day in their shiny unused cars. I wonder how long it takes for a meter to break from lack of use.

Oh Oh...get ready for JingJing to start slamming the meter taxis again...

The name is Jingthing. That's MR. Jingthing to you, sir.

Edited by Jingthing

Their function is to "prove" that Bangkok style taxi meters cannot work in Pattaya. They are a show fully owned by the baht bus mafia which hopes to have a stranglehold on Pattaya public transport for another 100 year reich. Competition (REAL Bangkok style taxi meters) from another company is not allowed. They have put on a grand show of trying out a taxi meter system that to the untrained eye appears like a taxi meter system, but it is nothing of the kind. What is needed is some Thai people with some balls to change this. Maybe in 100 years.

The drivers that do exist as said will never use the meters (and yes they have meters) but are only waiting for tourist suckers. They are happy to sit most of the day in their shiny unused cars. I wonder how long it takes for a meter to break from lack of use.

Because the meters would show a traceable income on which the lazy <snip> would have to pay a tax on.

Any police officer with a "set" could stop any of them at any time for a number of violations, most prominently Drinking and Driving, but guess what??? TIT !! :o

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote tags and removed obsenity.

Its not so much that they dont turn on the meter - in BKK you also meet these types (well ok, you can always call their boss and complain).

What bugs me the most is that these idiots take up the best parking of The Avenue and they simply DO NOT WANT TO WORK! - I even offered 100 just to go to the Naklua Roundabout and was turned down with "no - 200!", and there was 8 meter taxis waiting.

How can we find the phone number of the responsible person for this. I would like to give him a call and I would also very much like to use his taxi-METER service. I would actually use them very frequently if they used the meter.

Most of them hand out cards and have regular customers. The lack of meter use aside, I personally found them a nice alternative for traveling. 200 baht from central pattaya to jomtien aint that much. We generally used them for "going home", and used the same driver every time. Personally I've never trusted the meter use anyway and like to have a set price before I get into the car.

Think I was explained the drivers rent these cars for 1000 baht a day.

Its not so much that they dont turn on the meter - in BKK you also meet these types (well ok, you can always call their boss and complain).

What bugs me the most is that these idiots take up the best parking of The Avenue and they simply DO NOT WANT TO WORK! - I even offered 100 just to go to the Naklua Roundabout and was turned down with "no - 200!", and there was 8 meter taxis waiting.

How can we find the phone number of the responsible person for this. I would like to give him a call and I would also very much like to use his taxi-METER service. I would actually use them very frequently if they used the meter.

Try Pattaya City Hall. That is the joint that approved the scheme where the baht baht mafia collective owns the taxis. They don't call Pattaya the most corrupt city in one of the world's most corrupt countries for nothing.

To the people who say lack of meter use is not the problem have it wrong. If it was known they use the meters and they ROAMED and picked up fares anywhere , they would not be jamming their current lazy-vulture-like gathering points nearly so much! And we the public would have a USEFUL service, not just a service for clueless tourists.

Maybe they are closet green activists, as they would rather sit in their cars than take honest fares. Save the planet!

They are real taxi meters in the same way that katoeys are real women, my apologies to the lady boy fans.

Edited by Jingthing

Kha-tort Pee Jingthing :o

We will all owe you a great debt of thanks and you shall accrue much good karma when your crusade to get the taxis to use their meters is successful.

I used one guy very regularly to BKK 1500bht......expensive but the car is clean, the guy is pleasant, always on time, safe, knows BKK very well and if i need a return he will wait and do the return for 2500bht total. I even got him to take my wife to the airport a few times.

Last month we called and again a good service to BKK. We told hime we would require him to take us back to Pattaya in another 4-5 days time..... when we called for the return he quoted us 1900bht. What a complete wank*r who like more and more locals lately has done himself no favors. I for one will never use him again.

No brainer :o

:o

I called 038 368 113 and talked to a Thai guy who apparently was the boss.

He said that they MUST use meters and promised to give the driver a call and tell him to turn on the meter.

Lets see if it helped - I doubt it, but if enough of us keep calling/complaining I believe that eventually things will change.

He said that they MUST use meters and promised to give the driver a call and tell him to turn on the meter.

Lets see if it helped - I doubt it, but if enough of us keep calling/complaining I believe that eventually things will change.

Do you really think things will change?? In Pattaya!!!

:o:D

It would be easier to solve the Israel/ Palestinian problem.

It would be easier to solve the Israel/ Palestinian problem.

Yes. Bring Hilary Clinton to sort out Pattaya first, and then the Israel/ Palestine problem will be a walk over for her.

:o:D

You guys sound like all the people who told me "ha ha ha you want to make money investing in Pattaya? ha ha ha that is impossible ha ha" - and today these people don’t laugh anymore :o

I am Danish, and we are brought up to believe that you can change anything if you put your mind into it.

Imagine if 5 people called this taxi boss every day and complained, if that didn’t work, then we get 20 people to send complaints to the city council, if that doesn’t help then we spam the newspapers with complains... etc..

We have a Danish saying... "publicity and transparency kills corruption".

You guys sound like all the people who told me "ha ha ha you want to make money investing in Pattaya? ha ha ha that is impossible ha ha" - and today these people don’t laugh anymore :o

I am Danish, and we are brought up to believe that you can change anything if you put your mind into it.

Imagine if 5 people called this taxi boss every day and complained, if that didn’t work, then we get 20 people to send complaints to the city council, if that doesn’t help then we spam the newspapers with complains... etc..

Don, do you want to take over my unwanted role as a leader against the local baht bus collective mafia (which owns the taxi no meters)? I am more than happy to relinquish that thankless position to you! Is your life insurance current?

post-37101-1234532460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Publicity of certain cartoons in Danish newspapers has cost millions of Kroner (or have you succumbed to the Ruro beast?) in the Middle East. Many shops and other businesses display notices in their windows confirming that they do not sell Danish products.

British Alfa Laval change all the identification on their machinery, but I still had problems with import into Saudi.

But I agree that it is etter to complain to the company, rather than just write whingeing posts in this orum.

Kjennar (or Danish equivalent) HB

You think the company doesn't already know that the taxis don't actually use the meters? If they were going to do something about that, they would have done so long ago. I still think the taxis are only a show to guarantee the monopoly of the baht buses. They do not WANT a successful taxi meter system here and the best way to ensure that is to own everything.

Edited by Jingthing