Refrigerator To Freezer

BillyBobThai

I have been looking for a small freezer to use at home in the Pichit area, with no luck.

Could a single door refrigerator with a freezer unit on the top be converted to a freezer? I need to have a temperature of 0/F or -18/C. If I was to change the thermostat to one that would go lower and put in a small fan, like goes in a computer, to circulate the air when the compressor is on, would this work? As these units do not have have a defrost circuit, it would seem to work. Sounds simple to me, but I am not a frefrigeration engineer. :o

I am not into refrigeration, but it won't work to get such low temperatures. There are upright and top door freezers of different sizes. If they are not that popular and not on the stock in the shop, you can order them from the shop owner or from the catalogue

I have been looking for a small freezer to use at home in the Pichit area, with no luck.

Could a single door refrigerator with a freezer unit on the top be converted to a freezer? I need to have a temperature of 0/F or -18/C. If I was to change the thermostat to one that would go lower and put in a small fan, like goes in a computer, to circulate the air when the compressor is on, would this work? As these units do not have have a defrost circuit, it would seem to work. Sounds simple to me, but I am not a frefrigeration engineer. :o

Any Makro near you.MAKRO

Forgive me for not knowing your area but here in Khon Kaen both Makro and HomePro sell Chest freezers - Sanyo (medium size I paid about 13,000 Baht for one or there was a slightly smaller or larger model). Works very well and does -18C.

Maybe you have one of these stores nearby. In Khon Kaen one or two of the bigger electrical shops can order one. Maybe one in your area can for you.

Regards

Dave

Edited by gdhm

You can't do it; the insulation isn't good enough on the fridge so it will gain too much heat from the outside, and the compressor can't compensate. Extra fans wouldn't help-- about all you can do is add insulation and extra door seals, and even then it will only work if you don't open the door very often.

i did something like this long time ago "converting" a small fridge when living in the african bush. adjusting the thermostat was a breeze, changing it was not necessary. unfortunately the lowest temperature i measured was -8ºC.

> I like to buy food when in season and on sale, and freeze.

Preserve in sugar ( or cut and dry in the sun) and leave on the shelf in jars.

Lower running cost as you appear to want to be saving money and not affected when the power goes out.

As for -18o C you should be looking at commerical equipment suppliers not domestic, smallest I have seen that does that is about 0.75m3, wasn't cheap.

HTH

Thanks all for the input. I like to buy food when in season and on sale, and freeze.

I will look at the places you all listed when I get moved in. :o

Off topic I know but in response to your last post, just what food would you freeze when in season ? Also, is food, perhaps such as meat, which you can freeze easily, on sale so often and for such a discount that purchasing a freezer and paying for the electric makes economic sense ?

I'm in Buriram at the moment and some foods are scarce. Most I would not think of freezing as I prefer fresh but I could see the point of purchasing in bulk for convenience (as you would not drive 100km for one steak pie !). In the end I decided against it and live with what we have, buy a few things for the freezer and grab some "luxuries" when in towns which have more selection.