Can One Extend Stay In Thailand After Marriage?

I was at the Bang Rak registry recently and married a Thai whilst holding a 30 day visa exempt stamp and UK pp. The registrar said I could go to immigration and get a year long stay permit (presumably I guess he meant a non Imm O visa?), but I thought one needed to apply for this outside Thailand and I am only allowed to stay 30 days on my visa exempt? Can anyone clarify please?

I was at the Bang Rak registry recently and married a Thai whilst holding a 30 day visa exempt stamp and UK pp. The registrar said I could go to immigration and get a year long stay permit (presumably I guess he meant a non Imm O visa?), but I thought one needed to apply for this outside Thailand and I am only allowed to stay 30 days on my visa exempt? Can anyone clarify please?

You can get a 12 month extension if you have 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR A monthly salary of 40,000 Baht.

To give you some breathing space you an get a one off 60 day extension to visit you Wife for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Yes it is possible without leaving if you meet all the requirements. The big one is 40,000 baht inome per month or 400.000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months.

See 2.18 of the police order for info. police_order_2008.pdf

The problem you probably have now is that you do not have the 21 days left on your entry needed to do a change of visa status. But have a look at 2.24 of the police order that is for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. For this you only need your marriage certificate and copies of your wifes ID card and house book.

To give you some breathing space you an get a one off 60 day extension to visit you Wife for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Thanks for the feedback. So I can get a 60 day extension anytime I come here with a 30 day visa exempt I guess?

I often travel in / out country for work elsewhere with stays of 30 days or sometimes longer - but never more than 3 months. It sounds like the easiest solution for me as there is no easy access to a consulate overseas where I work.

Thanks for the feedback. So I can get a 60 day extension anytime I come here with a 30 day visa exempt I guess?

I often travel in / out country for work elsewhere with stays of 30 days or sometimes longer - but never more than 3 months. It sounds like the easiest solution for me as there is no easy access to a consulate overseas where I work.

The police order says only once for this extesnion which I think means back to back. But I would not count on getting it on a regular basis. They could refuse your application.

In your case it might be better to get a multiple entry non-o at KL or Penang. They will want to see a bank book withs some money in the account (last report was only 79K in bank). They issue the visa the next afternoon after appying in the morning.

Several reports on this in the topic at the top of page one of this forum about visa reports.

As long as you have 21 days left on your stamp you can apply for a Non-O Marriage Visa by changing from Tourist to Non-O. They will give you 90 days ONLY to start. For the 90 day Visa you DO NOT have to provide proof of income. That is only required for a 1 year extension, which you can apply for in the last 30 days of the 90 day Non-O Visa.

As long as you have 21 days left on your stamp you can apply for a Non-O Marriage Visa by changing from Tourist to Non-O. They will give you 90 days ONLY to start. For the 90 day Visa you DO NOT have to provide proof of income. That is only required for a 1 year extension, which you can apply for in the last 30 days of the 90 day Non-O Visa.

They won't change to a Non-"O" visa unless you are applying for, and meet the requirements for the "extension of stay". Correct?