Bank Transfer Taking Long Time

Hi everyone

I tend to do a bank transfer in pounds sterling every month to my girlfriends bank account and iam over there in march to see her, i sent tuesday last week and still has not arrived normally 3 days, my bank lloyds tsb and her,s is Bank of Ayudhya all here details and mine are ok my banks saying its been slow in thailand has anyone had the same problem.

cheers

mick

Edited by billybong38

Hi everyone

I tend to do a bank transfer in pounds sterling every month to my girlfriends bank account and iam over there in march to see her, i sent tuesday last week and still has not arrived normally 3 days, my bank lloyds tsb and her,s is Bank of Ayudhya all here details and mine are ok my banks saying its been slow in thailand has anyone had the same problem.

cheers

mick

Sometimes the banks here have a problem with transfers and they end up in a head office holding account and they dont do anything to track down who the cash belongs to... :o

I transferred $US 20,000 from my account in Singapore to a business account in Thailand and the money disappeared for 26 days..checking with my Singapore bank, money had left the account, account details, branch in Thailand all ok, but cash never arrived in the account...

After a lot of frustration and p*ssing around with the Thai bank....they finally owned up that the money was in a head office holding account and they had f*kced up......but I believe if the issue hadnt been forced they would have just left the money sitting in the holding account...

cheers for reply

whats by best option my lass is a bit anoyed about this ive chased up with my bank 3 times and they said it was being changed from sterling to baht, what gets me is ive had no probs even last month straight through and all the other times then there is a cockup

cheers

mick

Edited by billybong38

cheers for reply

whats by best option my lass is a bit anoyed about this ive chased up with my bank 3 times and they said it was being changed from sterling to baht

cheers

mick

Mick...the only thing you can do is walk into the bank with your transfer receipt from your UK bank, which proves the money left your account and confirm all the Thai bank details are correct and start harrassing the Thai bank them to tell you where the money is..

Its a pain in the ar*e I know, but unless you stay on top of the Thai bank....mai pen rai will creep in and you will never get anywhere if the Thai bank is left to its own devices...

well ive got the recipt from my bank the other day everything matches up only prob is iam not in thailand till 26th march to go chasing up the bank and i dont if my lass can do anything,the paying bank is hsbc bank plc international branch then ens up at bank of ayudhya

cheers

mick

Edited by billybong38

well ive got the recipt from my bank the other day everything matches up only prob is iam not in thailand till 26th march to go chasing up the bank and i dont if my lass can do anything,the paying bank is hsbc bank plc international branch then ens up at bank of ayudhya

cheers

mick

Mick...all you can do is send your lass the receipt (or copy) from HSBC and let her go into the Thai bank and harrass them..guessing here this was a SWIFT transfer, and the Thai bank has f*kced up that same way they did with me....the cash will be sitting in a holding account controlled by the head office...they will find the transaction and them come up with some lame excuse or try and blame HSBC...

When my transfer went missing they tried to blame my bank in Singapore and obviously I told my bank that the thai bank was blaming them, in the end believe my Singapore bank got in touch with the Thai head office and told them to basically shove it up their a*se, My relationship manager from Singapore phoned me afterwards and said the Thai bank were basically incompetant and very unprofessional.

Hi everyone

cheers

mick

Definitely not. I phoned my bank, Halifax-Bank of Scotland-LLoyds, late on Tuesday afternoon and my money was sitting in Bangkok Bank on Wednesday morning.

hi everyone

go it sorted she went to her bank and had a go at them,the bank contacted the main branch i presume in bangkok and the money was there and she go it 30mins later a bit of a p**s take i say but iam glad maybe have 2 find a different way of sending

cheers

mick

Hi everyone

cheers

mick

:o I make wire transfers (via SWIFT thru Bangkok Bank in New York to Bangkok Bank in Thailand) and it usually takes 3 days. Sometimes if it leaves the states on a Wednesday, it won't appear in my Thai account until Monday or Tuesday next week...due to the weekend I guess.

If you have problems you may have to have someone go to the head branch with proof of the funds leaving your country. The head branch is more responsive than branch banks usually.

The fastest transfer I ever did was from a Danish bank to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. From the time it was sent from the bank in Denmark to recieve confirmation (electronic) from Thailand was about 34 minutes. It cost me about 50 dollars for the wire transfer and confirmation.

I think that may be a world's record.

Hi everyone

cheers

mick

Sometimes the banks here have a problem with transfers and they end up in a head office holding account and they dont do anything to track down who the cash belongs to... :o

I transferred $US 20,000 from my account in Singapore to a business account in Thailand and the money disappeared for 26 days..checking with my Singapore bank, money had left the account, account details, branch in Thailand all ok, but cash never arrived in the account...

After a lot of frustration and p*ssing around with the Thai bank....they finally owned up that the money was in a head office holding account and they had f*kced up......but I believe if the issue hadnt been forced they would have just left the money sitting in the holding account...

The simple truth is that international money transfers between banks in different countries dont have a particularly robust system. Each country has a clearing house that uses the relevant code for that country to track where to send the money. For the UK they use SWIFT Codes, but in Thailand its simply the name and address of the bank and so if there is a slight problem in the transfer details your money will sit with the clearning house for upto a month before they decide they dont know what to do with it and return to sender.

I have found the best way to transfer money internationally is through a money transfer company as the funds then go through their own system.

BKK Forex is a pretty reliable one for transfers to Thailand and they tend to give you a better exchange rate than your bank because of the volume they are dealing with in Baht.

Hi everyone

cheers

mick

The simple truth is that international money transfers between banks in different countries dont have a particularly robust system. Each country has a clearing house that uses the relevant code for that country to track where to send the money. For the UK they use SWIFT Codes, but in Thailand its simply the name and address of the bank and so if there is a slight problem in the transfer details your money will sit with the clearning house for upto a month before they decide they dont know what to do with it and return to sender.

I have found the best way to transfer money internationally is through a money transfer company as the funds then go through their own system.

BKK Forex is a pretty reliable one for transfers to Thailand and they tend to give you a better exchange rate than your bank because of the volume they are dealing with in Baht.

Thai banks have a SWIFT code, anyhow Kasikorn have. But you have to put the correct name and address of the branch, in this way the money go straight to your branch and will not be hold in some account in head office, and the transfer never take longer than 72 hours.

Thai banks have a SWIFT code, anyhow Kasikorn have. But you have to put the correct name and address of the branch, in this way the money go straight to your branch and will not be hold in some account in head office, and the transfer never take longer than 72 hours.

Not completely true....in my case, was a SWIFT transfer, all details were correct and it still ended up in a H/O account and basically disappeared for 26 days...

I think what sometimes happens is the anti-money laundering agency in Thailand semi-randomly freezes transfers to see who shows up. In about 10 years of making transfers that happened once about 5 years ago. They admitted it was done at behest of the police that noticed regular transfers over about a year into the same account and this one was for a larger amount.

These days, I get a SWIFT transfer in my Bangkok Bank account (main branch) within 24 hours of the request (same US day). If it goes through the NYC branch, they are very fast.

TH

Not completely true....in my case, was a SWIFT transfer, all details were correct and it still ended up in a H/O account and basically disappeared for 26 days...

What's the name of your bank?