Once Depord Can You Ever Return?

Ten years ago a friend was back-packing around Thailand and caught with a tiny bit of pot. He didn't have very much money for a bribe, or else he was arrested by an honest cop, because he ended up being charged. The judge fined him a total of 80 baht, given the small amount of pot, but he was deported too.

He wants to return now for a friend's wedding. My question is, once deported can you ever return? I suggested that he apply at the Thai embassy in Australia for a visa in advance, but he is worried that even if he gets the visa, he may still be refused entry at the border. He would be coming with his 12-month-old son so he really does not want to have any problems when he lands at the airport.

Does anyone know how he can find out whether he is on an immigration blacklist? Or if he gets a visa in advance can he be reasonably sure he will be allowed entry.?

Thanks!

This is a topic that has beend discussed before and the same question is asked, But no definitive answer has been given.

Even getting a visa gives no guarantee he won't have a problem.

The best advise I can give is for him to contact a lawyer here and hire them to do a check with the police/immigration to see if he is on the blacklist. I don't think the cost would be that much.

Sunbelt a sponsor of this forum might be a good one to contact. They do a lot of immigration work and may have the contacts to find out quickly.

Yes, as has been stated on the Forum and other written sources, there is a distinction made between deportation and black-listing as person. There are many crimes (some rather minor like a a short over-staying a visa) which can result in deportation. However, such people can apply for a new visa immediately upon their return home and return forthwith.

Some crimes, like lese majeste, drugs, and crimes related to children and sex can result in jail time, and then deportation and blacklisting. When one is blacklisted, then one cannot return.

Take Joe the Moderator's advice if your friend is really concerned...but my inkling is that a pot bust that resulted in an B 80 fine would not cause one to be blacklisted.

A little info from the MFA website. Just posting the relevent parts.

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(6) Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations.

(11) Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2487

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(6) Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations.

(11) Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

So there are no foreign criminals in Thailand (other than petty criminals)?

So there are no foreign criminals in Thailand (other than petty criminals)?

His post did not state that.. it only provided the relevant official information

Totster :o

Thanks for the advice. I passed on Sunbelt's email to my friend and he will contact them for more info. Cheers!

I think that is the only way he can be sure.

Gvie us a post back on the results with Sunbelt. It would be good for future reference.

Fortunately a conviction in a Thai court for ANY drug case will automatically get you black listed for 100 years.

Yes, you can appeal this in a court of law and there is a good chance in this case that your friend will get his name taken off the back list and be allowed to come back Thailand.

I have been through this with a friend who was caught with 2 grams of medicinal weed in a 7/11 at the Tong Lor BTS station at 2 am in the morning!

No I am not joking about the 100 years bit as well!

Sounds like your friend was lucky with a good judge he didn't get 3 months in the slammer or did he.

They are serious about drugs in this country. Abuse them at your own peril!

BB

Fortunately a conviction in a Thai court for ANY drug case will automatically get you black listed for 100 years.

Yes, you can appeal this in a court of law and there is a good chance in this case that your friend will get his name taken off the back list and be allowed to come back Thailand.

I have been through this with a friend who was caught with 2 grams of medicinal weed in a 7/11 at the Tong Lor BTS station at 2 am in the morning!

No I am not joking about the 100 years bit as well!

Sounds like your friend was lucky with a good judge he didn't get 3 months in the slammer or did he.

They are serious about drugs in this country. Abuse them at your own peril!

BB

So I guess you would kind of say that its a life long ban!