jtp

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
One thing a Ph.D. gives you in Thailand is instant credibility.

It is easier to be presumed knowledgable then be presumed an idiot and have to prove knowledge.

Totally agree...Hence Dr Shinawatra :o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

The University of Toronto granted me an M.A. and Ph.D in British Imperial Studies (Thesis: Federated Shan States of Burma), Modern British History and the Politics of Southeast Asia.

Two years of my B.A. were spent at Chiang Mai University with the University of Wisconsin's 'College Year in Thailand' programme.

One thing a Ph.D. gives you in Thailand is instant credibility.  When in the US, I never use the "Dr." in front of my name.  No one cares, and unless I am in a classroom, it really isn't pertinent.

But since I work in Thailand, I do have the "Dr." on my business card, and when my friends introcduce me to someone here, they always use the "Dr."

It is easier to be presumed knowledgable then be presumed an idiot and have to prove knowledge.

In the US I had Dr. on my name cards, I "doctor" on my name cares here too.... I do not insist that people call me Dr and I really don't care if they do or do not. My father set that example for me.

Regardless, the degree does not seem to have opened any doors for me or made people quiver in their boots. Heck, I even earn less than I did with an MS degree....

Funny how an MBA seems to calm the seas, while a doctorate degree.... just means you went to school forever.

Edited by Dakhar

I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa(Kinda hard to miss them now...)called "Thailovelinks",and i thought to myself,what type of people use the internet to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?So i had a look at the men advertising on this site,and something odd stood out...Most had a MASTERS DEGREE?The majority of men on this site were from England,America,France and Germany,with a few from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.One chap had a masters degree and owned a bar in Pattaya....Another was a thirty something year old teacher,yet another was a diver...! My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?I have only met two people whom i know to genuinely have masters degrees,one was a Chinese nurse,another was a fifty five year old Engineer.Are these people just full of it,or do they really have these degrees?How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

BSc (Hons) Biology, MSc Biology, PhD Molecular Science, Diploma in Computing, 3 certs in online learning, a TEFL, a 50m swimming certificate and a cert for climbing Sydney Bridge. I'll see if I've got anything else. I'm unemployed.

My wife was doing her masters in Sydney for information systems and she said everyone but her were Chinese.

Also I go to a Thai learning class with this french guy who went to Uni in Melbourne and he was doind his masters also and he said everyone in his class apart from his and this Thai girl was chinese.

Whats with the Chinese and there masters? I remember in High School the most highest maths class had all chinese in them.

One thing a Ph.D. gives you in Thailand is instant credibility.  When in the US, I never use the "Dr." in front of my name.  No one cares, and unless I am in a classroom, it really isn't pertinent.

But since I work in Thailand, I do have the "Dr." on my business card, and when my friends introcduce me to someone here, they always use the "Dr."

In the US I had Dr. on my name cards, I "doctor" on my name cares here too.... I do not insist that people call me Dr and I really don't care if they do or do not. My father set that example for me.

Regardless, the degree does not seem to have opened any doors for me or made people quiver in their boots. Heck, I even earn less than I did with an MS degree....

Funny how an MBA seems to calm the seas, while a doctorate degree.... just means you went to school forever.

When I was in school, there was an article passed around which showed that MBA holders made more money, on the average, than people with doctorates in business.  Our general analysis of that fact was that perhaps employers thought that MBA holders were hard-chargers who went and earned an advanced degree to better enable him or her to compete in the business world, but people who pursued doctorates were ivory tower-types who were better served in academia than in the real business world.

Does a J.D. (juris doctorate) count? I have one and I'm teaching. I might try to work in the legal field here, but teaching isn't a bad way to make a living. About 10% of the teachers with whom I work have a masters, and one has a Ph.D.

Can't say I've ever tried a dating site. Seems like a scam to me, but some say it has worked for them.

So we are some sort of colleagues. I hold a J.D. too (University of Zurich, Switzerland).

My wife has Bachelor \Degree (political science) and my daughter will have her Master in September this year (also law).

When I was in school, there was an article passed around which showed that MBA holders made more money, on the average, than people with doctorates in business.  Our general analysis of that fact was that perhaps employers thought that MBA holders were hard-chargers who went and earned an advanced degree to better enable him or her to compete in the business world, but people who pursued doctorates were ivory tower-types who were better served in academia than in the real business world.

I am certainly not Ivy tower types, the doctorate, in my case, only means I am stubborn. I had the time, the money and wanted to hold the highest degree possible in my field...

I am certainly not Ivy tower types, the doctorate, in my case, only means I am stubborn. I had the time, the money and wanted to hold the highest degree possible in my field...

Being in school at the time, I don't think any of us considered ourselves ivory tower types.  We just came to the conclusion that employers might have the perception that doctorate holders were ivory tower types while MBA holders were merely hardcharging, capable business people who could acutally help a business.

I have found most "Ivy tower types" to be stupid to the point of being mentally challenged about real life and everything other than their particular subject. I can think of nothing worse.

B.A. (History) M.A. (International Affairs) Ph. D (Political Science). Only knowing two people with an M.A. would be unusual in Bangkok, not to mention elsewhere, unless your circle of friends is quite small. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

• 2 months later...
I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa....My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?

Hi! I don't know whether the OP is still reading this after 8 pages, but my answer is YES, Master degrees have become easier to obtain in recent years and may not be all they seem.

I read History at Cambridge and received a Bachelor of Arts upon graduation. However, six years after every graduate matriculates (joins) the University, they receive an MA. Of course this is only a mark of status within the University and is not by examination. I received an MA certificate (almost identical to my BA) at the Senate house in Cambridge, in exactly the same manner as I received my BA. Therefore, I can, like every other Cantab Alumni justifiable write MA(Cantab) after my name even though I clearly only completed a BA.

My point is; if Cambridge is doing this, why wouldn't everywhere else follow suit? Of course they have!

Many people, of course, do have real postgraduate qualifications – I have an M.Phil – and I think it's easier to get funding and there are simply more institutions offering such courses – thus you find people with MA's working everywhere.

In the current economic climate; many in the financial sectors will undoubtedly have enrolled in night-school to get an MBA or similar and many graduates will have continued to further study given the limited availability of career opportunities at present.

Certainly a fair few people that I know have obtained a Masters degree.

Me MSc Forensic Mental Health @ University of Birmingham. Lot of use it is here :)

I don't know, the mental health part of it might be quiet valuable, especially when posting here in TV!

Certainly a fair few people that I know have obtained a Masters degree.

Me MSc Forensic Mental Health @ University of Birmingham. Lot of use it is here :)

I don't know, the mental health part of it might be quiet valuable, especially when posting here in TV!

BB you may have a point, but not sure for either my own sanity, or some of the others around here. :D

Hi

I have been selling hi-end electronics to people with masters degrees for over 20 years. I'm a 10th grade high school dropout and never spent a

nickel on education. I have never made less than 6 figures U.S...A good salesman can BS the smartest of ya. I YOU YA

Patron

Takhli

I dont think anyone suggests that having a Higher Education and being smart are the same thing Patron. If you like to BS people, and feel great about it, thats your choice. I dont really see what point your post is trying to make, other than you want people to know you earned good money, and, because you dont have a higher education, you feel that its somehow one in the eye to the higher Educated folks ..well, good for you. :) But, really, if anything it just suggests you have some kind of chip on your shoulder, otherwise, why even make the point?

I dont think anyone suggests that having a Higher Education and being smart are the same thing Patron. If you like to BS people, and feel great about it, thats your choice. I dont really see what point your post is trying to make, other than you want people to know you earned good money, and, because you dont have a higher education, you feel that its somehow one in the eye to the higher Educated folks ..well, good for you. :) But, really, if anything it just suggests you have some kind of chip on your shoulder, otherwise, why even make the point?

Beat me to it, Ms. Eek!

eek

Chip on my shoulder? OK maybe alittle. When(SOME) people of higher education buy stuff from me they tend to treat me like some kind of clerk.

The funny thing is when I do the financing for their large purchase, the husband and wifes combined income is less than mine.

Does this make me better, smarter,a nicer person. I hardly think so. Am I lucky, you bet i am. I can sell ice cubes to eskimos.

eek... I quess what i'm trying to say is that when I dropped outta high school in 10th grade. everyone said I was a loser and a loser forever.

I knew they were wrong. I don't have a education to brag about here and I also know jn my heart I'm not a loser.

Patron; if you were Bill Gates and making your rant you may have a small audience. But I have no knowledge of Mr Gates nor people in his economic league, even throwing out this type of BS. I would guess that your 6 figures is pocket change to people of this economic accomplishment, although to be honest I have not had this success on a consistent basis for quite some time, nor do I know people who have, that would talk about it.

eek

Chip on my shoulder? OK maybe alittle. When(SOME) people of higher education buy stuff from me they tend to treat me like some kind of clerk.

The funny thing is when I do the financing for their large purchase, the husband and wifes combined income is less than mine.

Does this make me better, smarter,a nicer person. I hardly think so. Am I lucky, you bet i am. I can sell ice cubes to eskimos.

eek... I quess what i'm trying to say is that when I dropped outta high school in 10th grade. everyone said I was a loser and a loser forever.

I knew they were wrong. I don't have a education to brag about here and I also know jn my heart I'm not a loser.

Patron, I don't think that Eek is suggesting that you are a loser by not having a higher education. For me, it makes no difference is some one is a high school drop out or has a Doctorate, it's about ethics and respect to others. I guess you have just missed the point that is being made. Well done for being succesful, and stop being so insecure about it.

After 20 yrs I decided to go back to school and get a Masters.

I thought it would be difficult to get back into the swing of things but my opinion is that education has gone backward in that time and a Masters is surprisingly easy.

Perhaps the Masters seemed easier because you were 20 years older and wiser/smarter/more cunning and less easily distracted than you were as a new graduate.

Or perhaps... it's due to the creation (i.e. popularization) of what is now called a "notebook" computer? :)

Edited by junkofdavid2

eek

sigh... you can't buy class, though, can you