Thai Nationality Of Half Thai Child Born Abroad

keestha

A Dutch friend of mine has a 6 year old half Thai son, who was born in Holland. A bit more than 4 years ago, he divorced the boys mother, who went back to Thailand. Ever since he raised the boy alone.

He has joint custody with the ex wife, but she signed a paper valid under Dutch law fully authorizing him to act alone on behalf of the child.

Presently the boy only has Dutch nationality. If I understood correctly from previous threads on this subject, it should be possible to claim Thai nationality for the child. My friend wants to know how to go on about this: could it be arranged at the Thai embassy in Holland, or would he have to go to Thailand, where he presently is on a holiday?

Thanks for any useful replies, and sorrry if this has been covered before.

Edited by keestha

If the child was born in Holland & has his birth certificate issued from that country then he should approach the Thai Embassy there first. With the right paperwork proving he has sole rights over the child then he should be able to get a Thai passport & birth certificate issued. If it is the same as the Thai embassy in London he will need to show proof of the mothers thai nationality (copy of her ID card, tabien baan, marriage/divorce certificates etc) but call the embassy & ask them direct what they will need.