Beerlao In Chiang Mai

Chuckler

Had one in the Old Bell about a year ago.....Ok but nothing to shout about...back to Henie... :o ...

The Pub itself (OB)however was fine with a friendly and easy going Landlord.

Yes, the Olde Bell does have Beer Lao and so does The Garden on walking street.. In fact the Dark Beer Lao is the nearest thing you can get here to a real English Beer. Delicious. But all this other stuff: Leo, Chang and so on is like gnat's piss to me. Actually I have never tasted gnat's piss so I may be wrong.

Edited by ianf

Beer Lao is most definitely not cheaper than Thai beer (at least in Phuket anyway).

I'm very partial to it and know many others who would never drink alternatives if beer Lao is available. I would strongly disagree it is piss / not a good quality beer. It kicks the arse out of singha, chang and leo which are the same crap with a different label.

Beer Lao amber and dark are for sale most of the time at Makro. Bars & restaurants that typically stock it not previously mentioned are Spanky's and Euro Diner.

Have not seen any at Makro or Rimping for some time. At least 6 months.:unsure:

Gary at Euro Diner seems to be finding it there most times he goes. We put quite a few darks away last night

Thanks all. Just saw Beerlao Dark at Makro (Payap Univ side of town) amidst the hard liquor shelves, and not with the pallets of beer cases. A case of 24 small came to 1298 Baht or just over 54B per bottle. Thanks for your help. Cheers

Thanks all. Just saw Beerlao Dark at Makro (Payap Univ side of town) amidst the hard liquor shelves, and not with the pallets of beer cases. A case of 24 small came to 1298 Baht or just over 54B per bottle. Thanks for your help. Cheers

I'll have another look. Two years back that same case of was 900 baht.

I'll have another look. Two years back that same case of was 900 baht.

I have only found the dark available once before: at Rimping for 95 a bottle! And all of five bottles on the shelf! A case at less than 1300 is wonderful! So, I got one today at Makro. Beats hel_l out of carting it over the Maekong in a pirogue! Curiously, today a very, very popular box wine at Makro was actually more expensive than found at Rimping! Who's to figure?!

P.S. The fish on ice at Makro must have been caught last July! And the "fresh" vegetables were obviously from last year's crop. Oy!

Near Chiangmai Gate there's a drink and liquor wholesale where they used to sell the Lao beer for Chiangmai, but haven't been there for a while. at Chiangmai Gate turn 90 degrees left (so not 135) pass the hospital and after you see Chiangmai Gate hotel, opposite there's the wholesale store.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Near Chiangmai Gate at the beginning of silver street there's a drink and liquor wholesale that sells the beer Lao, this is where the bars buy it.

For the time being. Over the past 4 years I can count of 6 so called distributors of Beer Lao in Chiang Mai. They all would have it brought in from Nong Khai as that was where the only authorized distributor for Beer Lao in Thailand was based.

http://www.beerlao.co.th/