Where To Buy Premium Non-supermarket Cat Food?

SGDude

I am planning to get a good brand name cat food for my cats. Any idea where to buy them from? The supermarkets carry Whiskies, Purina Friskies and Big-O?

Whiskies is a big no no for me. My oldest male cat almost died from an urinary tract disorder after my sister fed him loads of those sticky and fatty food.

I bought a pack of Friskies as a stop gap replacement till I get a better brand. I used to give my cats Science Diet. However, I am re-considering my usual choice because my friend feeds her cats another brand of cat food and her cats have the softest fur ever!

I used to feed my cat Whiskas canned cat food, but the price kept going up and the quality wasn't that good and lots of gelatin.

Then I tried Big C and Tesco Lotus brands.....basically the same except for the label...........surprisingly they are much better quality and her

favorite is the sardine and chicken which has lots of fish and chicken in it. She loves it and her fur is super soft. The vet that comes to treat our

dogs says she is really healthy and her vet says the same.

So sometimes the house brands are worth a shot.

post-13353-1234686511_thumb.jpg

beachbunny

I used to feed my cat Whiskas canned cat food, but the price kept going up and the quality wasn't that good and lots of gelatin.

Then I tried Big C and Tesco Lotus brands.....basically the same except for the label...........surprisingly they are much better quality and her

favorite is the sardine and chicken which has lots of fish and chicken in it. She loves it and her fur is super soft. The vet that comes to treat our

beachbunny

I'm sure Thailand is no different to the UK when it comes to cat & dog foods. 1 or 2 major factories who produce and then different lables on the tin. My guess is that Thailand does exactly the same. The 'own label' tin is cheaper because it doesnt carry the cost of advertising and brand promotion.

Ive found the Me O brand,tinned and dry quite acceptable to my cats.Their product looks to me just the same as Whiskas but 3-5 baht cheaper.

I feed them a half and half meal..wet & dry.Soft shiny coats on them all.

beachbunny

I'm sure Thailand is no different to the UK when it comes to cat & dog foods. 1 or 2 major factories who produce and then different lables on the tin. My guess is that Thailand does exactly the same. The 'own label' tin is cheaper because it doesnt carry the cost of advertising and brand promotion.

Ive found the Me O brand,tinned and dry quite acceptable to my cats.Their product looks to me just the same as Whiskas but 3-5 baht cheaper.

I feed them a half and half meal..wet & dry.Soft shiny coats on them all.

Yes you are quite right about store brands. You feed your cats the way we feed ours (unless she's being picky) half 'n half.

I have learned to try store brands for us too; sometimes they aren't too good, but lots of times you might be surprised.

If the OP wants science diet though, any vet carries it if he wants to pay the price......We get a local brand of dog food that has the same ingredients

as the high priced ones and our dogs are very healthy. We are particularly careful what we feed them because they had an immune deficiency when young.....

So I think the main thing is read the label.....check out the contents, and if your cat likes it, you're sitting pretty and saving a few baht to boot.

If you are at the supermarket, why don't you buy your cat fresh fish or meat?? there shouldn't be a difference in price !! I prefer buying fresh meat and bones for my dogs than buying over-priced tinned food... just a thought :o

Exactly.

When you feel hungry do you consider a nice juicy beef steak some peas and gravy, with a side order of boiled brown rice, then before eating it - whzz it all up in a blender and either put it in a tin or bake it to a biscuit type slab? Because that is the process most cat/dog food under goes.

As touched on in a doggie thread recently, cats would probably benifit from eating real food rather than 25% aminal protien, 8% fats, with 50% cereal filler - take a look at the contents list on the side of the tin/bag of biscuits.

Even if you only avoid factory made 'pet' food because of the green issues of energy used to creat this convienance food or the effective cost of water to bulk out the tinned stuff. You woudl do better by your pet to arange fresh (frozen) supplies of fish (the oils are great from my dogs' coats) and chicken. Chewing the bones (raw) are great for teeth.

Too much effort, we just include doggie items on the shopping list - as they eat real food like we do it's not a hassle as it comes from the same market stalls our food does - so the trader sees us as a 'better' customer as we buy more, my tab has been rounded down a number of times - how often does that happen here?

So I think the main thing is read the label.....check out the contents, and if your cat likes it, you're sitting pretty and saving a few baht to boot.

Reading the label doesn't tell you that much. It may say there's so much crude protein in the bag or can, but that consists of animal AND vegetable protein. Vegetable protein are much less bio-available than animal protein. Plus that the heating process reduces the animal protein bo-availability as well. So, although the bag.can so much crude protein it is a lot less protein that your pet actually can digest, with a protein deficiency as a result.

Vitamins and mineral contents are calculated before the ehating process. Some of these natural vit's and minerals are destroyed, others are changed. To cover the lack often synthetical vit's and min's are added.

Alsot here's a LOT to say about the contents written on the bag or can. And that the pet likes it is often NOT because of he goodies in the food, but for example due to process rancid oils.

If you would read up on what's REALLY in pet food you're stomach turns. You can find info on the internet. Here two links:

one link to a study done on pet food by a Harvard student: http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html

and another article that gives you a good insight on what's in petfood: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/downloads/pdf/P...eport_05-07.pdf

Edited by Nienke

You can get royal canine or science diet at any pet shop or vet. You can even go the the sanamluang 2 market in Thawi Watthana. There's also a pet shop in the basement of the central pin klao. 1.5kg cost somewhere around 450-500 baht. Compared to 130 baht for whiskas or friskies.

I tend to mix the food up for my cats with many different brands. I try not to stick with one brand. Just to give them a mix. Because I would be bored if I ate the same brand of food my whole life.

I however never feed them fresh food. It a no no. No fresh chicken or fish or meat or bones. Well maybe once in awhile.

My cats (nine) only eats Mee-O.

Nothing else is good for them except canned-tuna.

Cheap supermarket stuff, try it.

Also Tesco has cheap canned catfood.

Also all my cats like Mee-O (Tuna) so much but 3 different local vets advise me to not feed them just with Mee-O because it's too salty and this could demage the pet's health. I'm not a doctor so I cannot judge this advise but I get it already from 3 different sources