Thai driver's license

henryalleman

If you have a 1 year license you may go for renewal on the final day. No problem. Seen it done.

You may not go a single day before, even if your expiration date is on a weekend or holiday.

You can go anytime after expiration, but you'd best not drive yourself to the office.

A 5 year license can be renewed up to three months in advance of expiration.

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

• Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)
  • Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)
  • Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)
  • Your old Thai driving license.
    I have only tourist visa, do they accept this, anyone.

I think they still require "certified" proof of residency from your embassy (??)

I'mmoving to Thailand and I have an International drivers licence and also an Belgium drivers license. What I have to do to obtain a Thai drivers license.

Thanks in advance for the information.

I believe Thai insurers recognise an International licence for 6 months only. To obtain a Thai driving licence just go along to your nearest test centre and either sit the test or pay a bit of tea money. I sat the test so have no knowledge as to the tea money price.

I'mmoving to Thailand and I have an International drivers licence and also an Belgium drivers license. What I have to do to obtain a Thai drivers license.

Thanks in advance for the information.

I believe Thai insurers recognise an International licence for 6 months only. To obtain a Thai driving licence just go along to your nearest test centre and either sit the test or pay a bit of tea money. I sat the test so have no knowledge as to the tea money price.

IDL can be converted to Thai licence without taking the written and driving tests. They only test your eye sight etc simple things at the office. Takes few minutes only. Also your Belgium licence can be converted if you get "translation" to english from your embassy. Other requirements are as above. Medical cert, proof of address PP & Visa copies etc.

I did not have motorbike licence from my home country so took the written and driving tests in Feb for both. Failed the car drive test :o and was told to come back after few days or so to renew the test or provide embassy translation for the car licence. Went back next day with embassy translation and was issued Thai licence without new test...

I had one year licences with me that expired few years back (2003 or 2004 i think) and was issued 5 years licences direct !

Edit: saw other farangs offering tea money to speed up the process or ignore some documents they did not have. All was politely turned down by the nice staff at Sukhumvit LTD office.

Edited by MJo

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

• Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)
  • Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)
  • Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)
  • Your old Thai driving license.
    I have only tourist visa, do they accept this, anyone.

Don't know if this is the case for all however in addition to the above list I had to have a doctor Certification.(?) (a five year renewal in my case) :o:D

.. I had to have a doctor Certification.(?) (a five year renewal in my case)

Yes, the100 baht "medical certificate" is needed for the 1 year license and for the 5 year renewal.

You do not need to present an IDL if your current valid license is in English (U.S., U.K., Oz, etc.).

My California license had not quite expired when I went for the 1 year license. Only needed to take the eye tests. One year and a day later I went back and did not have to take any tests at all.

I heard there are some new tests (written test??) one must take for renewing their Thai DL. I am due to renew my 5 year licence in April. I won't do this in BKK though - probably the Ratchaburi office, where I have done it before, even though I live in BKK now. Has anyone renewed recently?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't renewed in a long time (2004)

when I did it then it was very easy, just my passport, the pictures, old license, & the fee was all I needed.

I have to renew this year & it will be on a tourist visa.

It sounds like I am out of luck at getting a renewal

In addition to the above mentioned:

1) would anyone know how much the fees are for both written and driving test? (I am currently staying in Krabi Province)

2) I've been told that I would have to use "my own car" for the driving test, which doesn't really seem to make any sense :o Could anyone shed some light on that issue, please?!

3) Which way is quicker / easier - "transform" a European driving license into a Thai license or get a separate Thai driving license?

Thanks a lot

.. I had to have a doctor Certification.(?) (a five year renewal in my case)

Yes, the100 baht "medical certificate" is needed for the 1 year license and for the 5 year renewal.

You do not need to present an IDL if your current valid license is in English (U.S., U.K., Oz, etc.).

My California license had not quite expired when I went for the 1 year license. Only needed to take the eye tests. One year and a day later I went back and did not have to take any tests at all.

I renewed my 5 year licenses (both car & m/c) last month and did not need a medical certificate.

I heard there are some new tests (written test??) one must take for renewing their Thai DL. I am due to renew my 5 year licence in April. I won't do this in BKK though - probably the Ratchaburi office, where I have done it before, even though I live in BKK now. Has anyone renewed recently?

I didn't have to do a written test either.

:o:D

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a 5 year renewal in Rayong. If you have M.C. and Car license you need two photocopies of everything, each page signed of course, work permit, All relevant pages of passport, picture page, Visa page, last entry stamp page, , old licenses.

In Rayong I did not need any Photos as they have a "smart card" machine", or a Medical, just a lot of patience, 3 hours with the usual paper shuffle, had to do a little bit of a coordination braking test on an archaic machine. perhaps a drive up to pattaya next time.