Sukhumvit Hwy Buses

MattFS218

Does anyone know where I can get information on the loads of buses that cruise Sukhumvit Hwy 3 at all hours of the day?

I'm trying to get to Rayong by 7am in the morning from Sri Racha and want to know how often the BKK-Rayong (the one that cruises Sukumvit Hwy 3) or the ???-Rayong bus runs.

I am told I can catch a bus from Pattaya to Sri Racha at all hours of the day...but how about Sri Racha - Rayong?

I'm talking about the bus that you have the waive down and toots its horn to get passer byer's attenion.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple more questions about the buses that run along Sukumvit

If I am trying to go north from Pattaya to Sri Racha what is the lattest time I should I arrive at the bus stop on Sukumvit (lets say the one on Pattaya Kleang/Central & Sukumvit) so I don't have to wait too long to catch a bus?

Last night I arrived there at around 10:15 and there wasn't ANYONE at the bus stop except for the guy trying to sell me a (300 baht first, then 100 baht, and finally a 50 baht) taxi/songtheaw ride to Sri Racha. He claimed the last bus stopped at 9 pm. The taxi driver even convinced the 10 or so Thais that showed up while I was there to take his taxi. After waiting for over 45 minutes I finally gave in and paid him 50 baht for a songtheaw ride to Sri Racha with a few other Thais.

Are the buses that cruise Sukumvit at all regulated by the government? What other options are there for traveling nort to Sri Raca late at night? I thought the buses were suppose to run 24/7 on Sukumvit (north and south). Anyway...thanks for your help.

Matt

You should have stuck it out. The 'last' departure from Rayong is 3 am, the first is 4.30 am, so they are pretty much 24/7 but bear in mind some won't leave until full. There could only be one an hour or so but they are running.

I wonder if they bus crews are geting a kick back from the taxi mafia!!!!??

I have a couple more questions about the buses that run along Sukumvit

If I am trying to go north from Pattaya to Sri Racha what is the lattest time I should I arrive at the bus stop on Sukumvit (lets say the one on Pattaya Kleang/Central & Sukumvit) so I don't have to wait too long to catch a bus?

Last night I arrived there at around 10:15 and there wasn't ANYONE at the bus stop except for the guy trying to sell me a (300 baht first, then 100 baht, and finally a 50 baht) taxi/songtheaw ride to Sri Racha. He claimed the last bus stopped at 9 pm. The taxi driver even convinced the 10 or so Thais that showed up while I was there to take his taxi. After waiting for over 45 minutes I finally gave in and paid him 50 baht for a songtheaw ride to Sri Racha with a few other Thais.

Are the buses that cruise Sukumvit at all regulated by the government? What other options are there for traveling nort to Sri Raca late at night? I thought the buses were suppose to run 24/7 on Sukumvit (north and south). Anyway...thanks for your help.

Matt

The last bus north to sriracha IS at 9... (GOSH!... an honest songtheaw driver). :o

so not many options if you want to stay late in Pattaya. You just have to plan accordingly.

The only option is the way you went, which was cheap as others will want B200.

You should have stuck it out. The 'last' departure from Rayong is 3 am, the first is 4.30 am, so they are pretty much 24/7 but bear in mind some won't leave until full. There could only be one an hour or so but they are running.

I wonder if they bus crews are geting a kick back from the taxi mafia!!!!??

Does the Rayong-Nokthania (I'm totally butchering the spelling) run up to Sri Racha? I'm positive there's a 9pm departure from Rayong...arriving Pattaya at like 11am....but does this go to Sri Racha?

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has any information that relates to the varying speeds of buses that run along Sukumvit. Sometimes I get lucky and catch one that has a crazy driver and other times I seem to catch a slow one that waits 15 minutes at each of the major stops on the way to Si Racha.

I seem to have slightly better luck with buses that are "full" as opposed to half empty. Often times there's a bus waiting at the bus stop but I usually wait to board because often times another bus will come along that will actually leave before the first bus.

Are there any other indications (like color, or some Thai writing) that could possibly indicate an "express" bus or a normal bus? Sometimes the conductors wear offical looking "Thai government bus" uniforms and sometimes they are just wearing normal clothing. Any ideas?

thanks

matt

I was wondering if anyone has any information that relates to the varying speeds of buses that run along Sukumvit. Sometimes I get lucky and catch one that has a crazy driver and other times I seem to catch a slow one that waits 15 minutes at each of the major stops on the way to Si Racha.

I seem to have slightly better luck with buses that are "full" as opposed to half empty. Often times there's a bus waiting at the bus stop but I usually wait to board because often times another bus will come along that will actually leave before the first bus.

Are there any other indications (like color, or some Thai writing) that could possibly indicate an "express" bus or a normal bus? Sometimes the conductors wear offical looking "Thai government bus" uniforms and sometimes they are just wearing normal clothing. Any ideas?

thanks

matt

I've never been able to work it out. There is often a crew of three on the bus, driver, ticket man (but no tickets 90% of the time) and a 'greeter' who's sole job seems to be to persuade people that they really should catch this bus, 'cos the next one might have a seat available, and it's much more fun to stand for an hour or more, isn't it?

And when they get to Sri Racha the market ladies get on with the rice-in-bamboo for sale and stay on board to Chon Buri, thus making a crowded bus even more packed.

I hate the journey, but have to do Patty-BKK-Patty most weeks. So a bus it is.

Basically the 2nd class buses run on a 'pack 'em in' basis. The more people they carry, the more money they make - both crews and owners.

If things are slack thats when you find them waiting for 15 minutes at every lampost.

When they're busy they seem to stop every five yards anyway letting people on or off so journey times are often the same - painfully slow!

If I was doing the Patters - BKK route I'd use the 1st class express buses not the crappy highway bus.

Basically the 2nd class buses run on a 'pack 'em in' basis. The more people they carry, the more money they make - both crews and owners.

If things are slack thats when you find them waiting for 15 minutes at every lampost.

When they're busy they seem to stop every five yards anyway letting people on or off so journey times are often the same - painfully slow!

If I was doing the Patters - BKK route I'd use the 1st class express buses not the crappy highway bus.

How can I tell the difference between a first class bus and a second class bus? Are all the buses that stop on Sukumvit 2nd class buses?

But this depends where you want to get off the bus at the other end - I stop short of Bang Na, sometimes go to Bang Na central City for shopping, but seldom go as far as Khrung Thep. So the express service is out for me.

(I pick the bus up anywhere between Thepprasit and Pattaya Thai, anyway - don't go down to the Express terminus - too far away)

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update.

I believe there is a 2nd class Pattaya--Bangkok bus that leaves at 3am from Pattaya Tai...I was able to catch this the other night. Otherwise, I haven't found any forms of public transportation after 9pm that goes to Si Racha.

Three times now I've been able to flag down a meter taxi on the north bound side of Sukhumvit for 150 baht. After looking at a detailed map, it appears to be around the correct fare if a meter was used. It's easier later at night because I think many of these taxi's make a BKK-Pattaya run and must return w/o a passenger (they always head north after dropping me off in Si Racha).

I'm told there are truck type baht buses that run later into the night from Naklua up to Si Racha and possibly Chonburi for 40-50 baht. Does anyone know where I would be able to catch these from? Thanks

Matt