Buying A Wedding Ring In Thailand

rideswings

As some already know, Im getting married in a few weeks, just wondering where I might buy my fiancee a good quality wedding band? I have had a bad experience with her engagement ring, we paid a fair amount of money for it, but it is very poor quality and shows dents and gouges. We bought it from a jewelry store in Udon. Any place I can get one that will give me a fair price and give me what I paid for instead of poor quality? I am considering buying my wedding band here in the states... maybe I should buy hers here too.

Edited by rideswings

As some already know, Im getting married in a few weeks, just wondering where I might buy my fiancee a good quality wedding band? I have had a bad experience with her engagement ring, we paid a fair amount of money for it, but it is very poor quality and shows dents and gouges. We bought it from a jewelry store in Udon. Any place I can get one that will give me a fair price and give me what I paid for instead of poor quality? I am considering buying my wedding band here in the states... maybe I should buy hers here too.

I bought mine in a place in Siam Discovery (the one nearest paragon). Came with a certificate and all that jazz for the diamond.

As for showing dents and gouges, it's because the gold found here is primarly 24k which is very soft in nature.

I got mine at Peter Nang. It also came with a certificate of authenticity. The business card I have shows its close to Mandarin Hotel and Montien Hotel.

The address is: 54/3-6 Siphraya Road

Mahaprucktaram Bangrak

Bangkok 10500

If you take a taxi meter, he will wait for you for security reasons. (Take you back home.)

Good luck :o

Do what the locals do, go to the local gold shop.

For the intended a, saleung neung ( one saleung ) band should do, for you I would imagine a song saleung ( two saleung ) band will be enough.

One baht of gold ( which equates to 4 saleung ) is about 15,000 baht at the moment, so you are looking at about 12,000 baht max depending on the gold price on the day.

Anything bought outside of Thailand will be almost impossible to sell here at the local gold shops, or you will find the money offered will be nowhere near what it cost you abroad.

bkkjames - Good point about the 24 gold being soft! I didnt realize that.... so whats better, get an 18k band so it will hold up better?

BecTero1 - Thanks foe the Peter Nang referral. I will check it out when I am in the area.

rgs2001uk - THANK YOU for explaining about the baht of gold! Now I know what I can expect to pay for wedding bands.

She was trying to tell me today that she wanted 3 baht gold for Tong Mun, and I could not understand what she was talking about. 3 baht gold? I was thinking around 10 cents... not so lucky I guess.

bkkjames - Good point about the 24 gold being soft! I didnt realize that.... so whats better, get an 18k band so it will hold up better?

BecTero1 - Thanks foe the Peter Nang referral. I will check it out when I am in the area.

rgs2001uk - THANK YOU for explaining about the baht of gold! Now I know what I can expect to pay for wedding bands.

She was trying to tell me today that she wanted 3 baht gold for Tong Mun, and I could not understand what she was talking about. 3 baht gold? I was thinking around 10 cents... not so lucky I guess.

No gold expert am I, but I am told that with my white gold wedding band which is brushed and looking a little worn these days, that it's pretty easy to get it buffed up and smoothed out. 18k would be harder, but also I believe your choices would be more limited.

For the intended a, saleung neung ( one saleung ) band should do, for you I would imagine a song saleung ( two saleung ) band will be enough.

One baht of gold ( which equates to 4 saleung ) is about 15,000 baht at the moment, so you are looking at about 12,000 baht max depending on the gold price on the day.

Anything bought outside of Thailand will be almost impossible to sell here at the local gold shops, or you will find the money offered will be nowhere near what it cost you abroad.

This is part of the problem. "how much can you sell it for"

If one goes into a marriage with some dame who is gonna sell the ring at the first opportunity the best advice is, forget the dame. She just ain't worth the effort of even shopping around.

Why do I say that "b'cos been there and done that"

Edited by john b good

My suggestion would be similiar as "white gold" 18Ct. is sort of NOT recognized as Gold in this Country...

To make things fair from the Beginning, I went to a traditional Thai-Goldshop and bough 2 simple wedding gold band worth 1 Baht, each 1/2 Baht so hers will seem to be heavier ... eve it has the same weight (7.6 gr.) later for x-anniversary you still can add Diamonds to the Band... i did it and was very much appreciated as it means an upgrade, ever so and so...and why only diamonds, why not ruby, sapph...

For the love of god...DON'T buy her anything other then 24 crt,you will be sorry!There is a difference in colour between the crts,and it WILL be noticed come wedding day... :o Oh,Btw,it's you getting beaned by the missus...For not buying 24crt.... :D My gold wedding ring is no longer round,simply impossible to keep it this way,and denting is common. :D

Wow now I dont feel so bad about her ring. But it looks like crap, so maybe I will probably buy her an 18 carat gold ring here in the states because it will hold up longer. If she has problems selling it in Thailand, Im not really worried :o

Good idea mate, if the time comes that she feels compelled to sell your ring - and subsequently finds it difficult because its 18k gold - the saying "som nom na" applies. :D

Google "Lamberts Bangkok"

The first one in the list is the place to go.

They will make rings to order and give you quality at a good price.

I have done business with them, and that is where our wedding rings came from.

Wow now I dont feel so bad about her ring. But it looks like crap, so maybe I will probably buy her an 18 carat gold ring here in the states because it will hold up longer. If she has problems selling it in Thailand, Im not really worried :o

Your wife will then have to explain to all her friends and family members that it really is Gold, even though it does not look like it when it becomes "whiter". And she will know it is less Gold in it as well.

The amount of Gold is very important here.

Good point!

Your wife will then have to explain to all her friends and family members that it really is Gold, even though it does not look like it when it becomes "whiter". And she will know it is less Gold in it as well.

Sound advice.

Think twice before buying anything other than 24 carat gold. Anything less than 24 carat is considered cheap and <deleted> all over Asia.

Sound advice.

Think twice before buying anything other than 24 carat gold. Anything less than 24 carat is considered cheap and <deleted> all over Asia.

Also e aware that a lot of rings may look thick but are actually hollow. The gold is also impossible to strengthen (at least in Britain)

Does it really matter to the lady whether the gold is 18carat or 24carat gold? Surely it's better and more practical to have a stronger 18carat ring as it's the intention to wear it for the rest of her life, so the extra durability will be good, no?