Walen School Of Thai In Chiang Mai

MacWalen

Our future school. 260 square meters. It requires a lot of investment but once it is finished it will offer comfortable premises for studying both Thai and English.

Callan & Walen School

Finally pulling the trigger huh? I waited a long time for you guys, but could never get an answer from any of your staff or website as to when you would be coming.

Finally went with Pro Language. They are also very good.

Good luck with the new location.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take lessons at more than one school. After you finish you can join Walen, also you can come for a free demonstration before you finish with the other school. The Pro method is also completely different. We had a good look at their books. With them you just learn transliterated Thai which is what some students who do not want to learn Thai alphabet want but most don't and prefer to learn Thai in Thai and not in karaoke Thai. It probably changes sometime after several courses for hardcore students but Walen teaches much faster, that is for sure, and you learn the Thai alphabet from day one lesson one.

In any case having more choices is a good thing for CM residents, also competition forces other schools to raise the quality of teaching or face extinction.

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

• 1 month later...

Today I went to have a look at the new Walen school in Chiangmai.

It is still under construction (not yet open for business), but I wanted to 1) find the exact location, and 2) get an idea how close to opening it really is.

I am not connected with the Walen company, and I've never so much as even attended a free class there.

But I will, having read through various threads about Walen.

All the provocateurs who goaded Mr. Walen for months have enabled me to get a clear picture of his way of thinking, his courtesy, and his thoroughness.

If he applies those traits to operating his language school, then that's the school for me.

The school is directly across the street from Central Department Store, "gad-suan-gaeow" shopping center, on "huay-gaeow" road.

From in front of that shopping center, go cross the street, and you are in front of the building.

At street level, left side, you will see a 7-Eleven.

Right side, there is an "M-K" suki restaurant.

Wide flight of stairs right in the middle.

Go up those stairs.

At the top, look to your 11 o'clock position, and you will see a narrow stairway going up to the second level.

Walen is at the stop of that stairway, on the second floor.

Parking entrance is along the side of the 7-Eleven.

Lots of parking under the building.

Click for ThaiVisa sponsor map on Google maps.

As of today, 27 June, the remodel is in the finishing stages.

Rooms are divided; glazing and wiring seem finished.

No air con or light fixtures yet.

I know nothing about construction, but working at Thai speed, looks about 1-2 months until completion; so sometime in August, as Mr. Walen posted recently.

One aspect of Walen's approach is already apparent in the construction: thrifty, but functional.

Several years ago I had a look in at Wall Street language school in Bangkok.

It amazed me to see a huge lobby/reception area: designed to impress.

The rental cost of all that empty floor space is certainly wrapped into the student fees at Wall Street.

None of that at the Walen school: the floor plan is compact and functional, with no space wasted on impressions.

I liked that.

The building itself is less than impressive.

It is a typical, second-class, Thai shopping mall, built in the mid-90's.

In this one, most of the stores are vacant, and maintenance has been long neglected, as in so many similar places in Thailand.

I don't care about the externals, just mentioning this so others won't expect a big, impressive, structure.

Problems for students/customers?

None that I could see in a 20 minute walk-about.

Well, it could be said there is no nearby skytrain station. :)

All those stairs might be a serious problem for crippled people.

Maybe there's a lift somewhere in the complex, but I didn't see one, and I didn't go looking.

Couldn't tell if one of the rooms will be a student lounge.

Would be nice to have an A/C room for breaks.

If not, a few benches outside on the balcony/walkway will have to suffice.

I don't fancy the thought of breaks in the open air during hot season and burning season, but that shouldn't be fatal.

7-Eleven is convenient for between-class breaks: cold beverages, crunchy snacks, cigarettes, etc.

And lots of restaurants over over at Central for lunch or supper after classes.

After my walk-about today, I went in to the MK for lunch. (The rice plate combo with roast duck and red pork is very tasty).

Location will be easy to get to on a red truck.

The actual building name is "sip-song-huay-gaeow", but who ever heard of that?

And no beginner can even pronounce it with the correct tones to be understood.

So, if you take a red truck, simply ask for "Cen-trahn-de-paht-men-stow" and you will get to the right place.

Easy to get back home, too, as many red trucks are always passing by.

Plus, several flocks of tuk-tuks waiting right in front.

I'm interested in Walen for an uncommon reason.

I've been studying Thai for almost five years, with private tutors.

At this point, can read, write, and type in Thai.

When I tell a taxi driver where I want to go, no confusion, just a direct, "kah-pohm" and off we go.

So, I assume my tones and vowel lengths are somewhat correct.

But I have one problem with the language where I hope the Walen method can help.

When Thais talk, I can't comprehend fast enough to keep up.

The Walen method apparently focuses on listening to faster than normal speech, in order to train listening skills.

Sounds like a perfect solution.

My plan is to start at the beginner level, and only move up when I am confident of a solid foundation in listening ability.

If this plan is faulty, or is a poor fit for Walen's method, I hope somebody will alert me about that.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

(This is a duplicate post as advised by moderator. -- Oneman)

Edited by Oneman

When I tell a taxi driver where I want to go, no confusion, just a direct, "kah-pohm" and off we go.

Are you sure that's what they say? Maybe your taxi drivers should study Thai too.

I would like to suggest Siam TV on Singharat Road within the moat. It is a huge building with parking and ATMs and is to vacated on September 9, 2009. It is inside the moat and easily accessible, also near Central Department Store. Of course, Siam TV might have other plans for that building.

• 3 weeks later...

We had some delays but the school is almost finished! If you can help us to recruit some staff we would be grateful.

We are looking for preferably 3 females to work as as teachers and course advisers.

University degree.

Full training provided.

Good salary plus bonus.

Good working conditions.

We require a reasonable level of English but additional language training will be also provided.

Pleasant looking.

If you know anybody who needs work let them know.

Regards,

Walen School of Thai, Chiang Mai branch

www.thaiwalen.com

The school is directly across the street from Central Department Store, "gad-suan-gaeow" shopping center, on "huay-gaeow" road.

Location will be easy to get to on a red truck.

The actual building name is "sip-song-huay-gaeow", but who ever heard of that?

So, if you take a red truck, simply ask for "Cen-trahn-de-paht-men-stow" and you will get to the right place.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I think your detailed report must be a great help to many people including me. Thanks very much.

Let's hope after five more years with the Walen, your spelling of Thai names will improve somewhat. And I don't think those red things are genrally called "trucks" but I know what you mean. :)

We had some delays but the school is almost finished! If you can help us to recruit some staff we would be grateful.

We are looking for preferably 3 females to work as as teachers and course advisers.

University degree.

Full training provided.

Good salary plus bonus.

Good working conditions.

We require a reasonable level of English but additional language training will be also provided.

Pleasant looking.

If you know anybody who needs work let them know.

Regards,

Walen School of Thai, Chiang Mai branch

www.thaiwalen.com

This site is really good for recruiting local staff:

http://www.jobnorththailand.com/site/index.asp

The plan was 1st of August but the things got complicated with some contractors, like for example we have to make the light boxes from scratch as the ones that were made were shockingly below standard required, also the furniture was supposed to be made of plywood and the cabinetmaker made them from paper, that's right, from paper! (those who do not know it is pressed paper, looks like wood but when gets wet expands) so the furniture needs to be done again also.

I can 100% confirm the date of 1st of September 2009 but could be 15th if things are done on time. It was a total ruin and fixing took more time also. I wish things were happening faster but that is the best I can do, apologies for all those who wait.

Walen School - Opening in Chiang Mai on the 1st of September!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

• 4 weeks later...

Our cabinet maker quit and did not finish work on the furniture, yet another setback in building the school on time.

If anyone knows a decent cabinet maker please let me know, it is rather urgent. Help appreciated.

Regards,

Walen School

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!

We would like to inform residents of CM that as of the 1st of September Walen school, Chiang Mai banch, is officially open for business. We offer free demonstration lessons for potential students to learn about our method. We would like to open our first course on Mon, Wed, Fri at 10-12.50. We require 5 students to open a class.

Walen School of Thai

www.thaiwalen.com

Congratulations!

Are the prices for Chiang Mai the same as those listed on your website for your other locations?

JxP

I would like to know this too. I think I already asked but no-one answered - why are the prices at Walen so much higher (almost double) than other places??

Thanks

I have the "Highspeedthai" a few days. It is Not high speed but very good. First learn the notes and then play the music. Give the website a look, they are sponsor.

In 10 months or less you learn to really have an everyday conversation. (1.300 words) AND you know how to read Thai And how to pronounce it correct. :)

After Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, Thai for beginners and private lessons, which I tried all, this is really a relief.

It comes with a book (print yourself) more than 1.200 pages and more than 78 hours of audio and video.

If you have problems, the email back is within hours! That is what I call service!

Once upon a time, I made a comment (maybe two?) on this thread. Here's one more.

There is no perfect way for everyone to learn a new language, ESPECIALLY AMONG THE ELDERLY (In case you are hard of hearing!) and Anglophone learning an Asian language. That covers probably 95% of TV Chiang Mai visitors.

Anyway, as I recall, I was impressed with the rather artful way in which this TV Chiang Mai advertiser lures in students! That's marketing. Nothing wrong with that. But he charges you a price --- and, from what I can gather --- it isn't cheap.

So, who --- and there is a lot of experience among TV Chiang Mai posters --- would care to post comparable YMCA, CMU, and AUA prices! Never mind the visa mills! And --- from anyone --- any comments about results, as subjective as they must be!! That, of course, is a silly question among, basically, a population on TV Chiang Mai that basically makes a stab at learning Thai, basically give up, then repair to Rimping Market for the comfort of reading familiar food labels and read restaurant quotes about the food and quality of service at various restaurants and pubs posted here --- which is very hard to do considering the juveniles who do their thing regarding restaurants. That's just sad! [sorry! VERY run-on sentence! Chew on it!]

Back to the point! Where is Brother Wallen's guarantee of success?! Get real, people! He can't give one, but he'll charge what he wishes to make a living. So, who wouldn't ?!

This is a cheap shot, but I think brother Wallen is more into marketing than language instruction. And I think he's probably pretty good at marketing - that is -- to judge what I have read.

Edited by Mapguy

This is a cheap shot but I think brother Wallen is more into marketing than language instruction. And I think he's probably pretty good at marketing - that is -- to judge what I have read.

Unless you have some basis for making that statement it is a cheap shot.

This is a cheap shot but I think brother Wallen is more into marketing than language instruction. And I think he's probably pretty good at marketing - that is -- to judge what I have read.

Unless you have some basis for making that statement it is a cheap shot.

Fair enough. I have also heard --- not mentioned before -- that he is quite good at getting people to promote his courses regardless of actual experience. And that's a polite way of putting it!

I should also add that it is up to him to provide substantive evidence of his approach to teaching language, not me. I gather that he is a very persuasive guy. Where's the substance?

Edited by Mapguy

I did the 3 AUA courses plus about 2 months extra private tutoring from their teachers after. My Thai, I believe isn't that great but my girlfriend of 3 years speaks no English at all, we communicate in Thai only, so perhaps I learned more than i thought, and it wasn't expensive. I can pretty much go anywhere I want and be understood, although sometimes it takes a while with my still so so tones.

I am hopeless at languages, but learn Thai, put in the effort, it really is worth it. In fact think it is time to go back and finish it once and for all. Will check this Walen group as well, or get a tutor.

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. Regarding the prices, yes, they are the same as on the website. We have promotion however for the first two months. You can study completely for free for one week (just buy a book) and if you do not like you will not pay anything at all and if you like it you will pay for the lessons taken.

It is risk free, you can take up to 9 lessons totally free. If you like you pay for the course which will include lessons taken.

Those who say we do not know how to t each Thai, please visit us and try first and make judgment later.

Respectfully,

Walen School - Chaing Mai is a great place!

www.thaiwalen.com

I just completed the beginners course at CMU. I would be interested in continuing at Walen when it opens but the prices are about twice as much as CMU and AUA etc. Why?

Well perhaps they want a quick return on capital invested or maybe it's just simple greed.

I just completed the beginners course at CMU. I would be interested in continuing at Walen when it opens but the prices are about twice as much as CMU and AUA etc. Why?

Well perhaps they want a quick return on capital invested or maybe it's just simple greed.

Why don't you sign up for a course and then report back at the end? That way you will know what you are talking about.

The most expensive group lesson is 165 Baht. one course is 60 lessons for 9,900 Baht. It is not the cheapest price in town but you should look at the value. We believe that you will get good results sooner if you use the Walen Method.

So again, we do not focus on the cheapest price but on the best value. Everyone is welcome to come to our school for a free demonstration and see for themselves.

Also some of the other factors for those who are looking for a very inexpensive schools and are wondering why Walen is more expensive are:

We pay our teachers well

We pay our staff well

Staff also receives bonus for good service

Our schools are in good locations

We spend a lot of money to build them (visit CM school and see for yourself)

We charge the same prices as in other locations.

If someone is very price sensitive I really encourage to look at a bigger picture. How much the knowledge of Thai is worth to you?

I am sure there are cases when you have bought something very cheaply and were not happy with your purchase afterward and wished you spend a little more but got the other better quality thing.

Being greedy, someone mentioned that. If we were greedy we would do everything on the cheap, pay our teachers nothing, our staff bare minimum. Do we want to get our investment back? Sure we do, also we want to make profit afterwards. Unless someone still believes in the principles of communism, which did not seem to work very well, it would be silly to expect all businesses to operate as charities. It would take the motivation out and you would be left with a badly run and slow business.

Do you also believe that you get what you pay for? I do.

Thank you guys for all the comments, both good and bad as it gives us something to think and improve.

Regards

Walen School - Judge after not before

www.thaiwalen.com