Favorite Albums

Pablo H

how could I have forgotten Frank Zappa and the Mothers? Saw them twice. The one time at Cal State Fullerton featured Alice Cooper and Wild Man Fisher as opening acts. The Wild Man's set consisted of acapella screaming and shouting while he accompanied himself with a bath towel on air guitar...a bit too much for some of the the conservative Orange County crowd in attendance. Alice Cooper declared that he was highly aroused and was going to masturbate when he got off the stage.

Zappa as ever was marvelous...a few of his nonsense numbers then he got down to business. The Mothers were an orchestra created by Zappa to play his many compositions. Soon the audience were confronted by an undulating wall of sound with Frank conducting and playing rhythm guitar. Unforgettable.

Never did buy any of his albums though...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee at some dive in Berkeley...classic...

Saw them in Liverpool mid 80's. The lame leading the blind onto the stage.

I wanna be sloppy drunk baby than anyway that I know...'. Big points for anyone that can name the singer...

Can only guess it's from 'Sloppy Drunk Blues'. Can't recall the singer though. :o

Also saw Clapton with Albert Lee.

Pointer Sisters

Dr. Hook before they went disco.

Wilko Johnson (ex Dr. Feelgood)

Bob Dylan early 80's

Rory Gallagher

Edited by Gazza

hmm of what era?? 70s,80s.

deep purple child in time

good old hotel cali

franky goes to hollywood.

gets worse after that

I wanna be sloppy drunk baby than anyway that I know...'. Big points for anyone that can name the singer...
Can only guess it's from 'Sloppy Drunk Blues'. Can't recall the singer though. :o

Pointer Sisters

Bob Dylan early 80's

Rory Gallagher

and of course

any pink floyd :D

hmm of what era?? 70s,80s.

deep purple child in time

good old hotel cali

franky goes to hollywood.

gets worse after that

Pointer Sisters

Bob Dylan early 80's

Rory Gallagher

yeah...Sloppy Drunk Blues by Big Joe Williams. Just looked at the Arhoolie website and they no longer stock that album...too bad.

Just remembered that I saw Ten Years After with Albert Lee at the Berkeley Community Theater. The set was too short only about 45 mins but worth it to hear him whale on Goin' Home.

how could I have forgotten Frank Zappa and the Mothers? Saw them twice. The one time at Cal State Fullerton featured Alice Cooper and Wild Man Fisher as opening acts. The Wild Man's set consisted of acapella screaming and shouting while he accompanied himself with a bath towel on air guitar...a bit too much for some of the the conservative Orange County crowd in attendance. Alice Cooper declared that he was highly aroused and was going to masturbate when he got off the stage.

Zappa as ever was marvelous...a few of his nonsense numbers then he got down to business. The Mothers were an orchestra created by Zappa to play his many compositions. Soon the audience were confronted by an undulating wall of sound with Frank conducting and playing rhythm guitar. Unforgettable.

Zappa is truly a legend and I've got most of his later stuff circa "Sheik Yer Bootie"

He's another one who was cut down fairly young. Died of prostate cancer in his early 50's. :o

What turns me on – takes all sorts !!!

And not mentioned yet …

Scorpians – Acoustica

John Denver – Greatest Hits

Bread (David Gates) – Essentials

Barry White – The Ultimate Collection (including the Longest running No1 in UK Charts with “Can’t get enough of your Love Babe”)

Yanni – Live at the Acropilis

Vanessa Mae (Singaporean “pop” Violinist) Live at The Royal Albert

Prokofiev – Romeo & Juliet

Memorable Concerts:

Samy Davis Jnr - in Stateline, Lake Tahoe, USA

Miriam Makeba (of South African “Click Song” fame) - in Lome, Togo (West Africa)

Osibisa (A group from Ghana – popular in UK) – Croydon (and Amazingly heard on a Bus in Bangkok last year !!)

Bill

Zappa is truly a legend and I've got most of his later stuff circa "Sheik Yer Bootie"

He's another one who was cut down fairly young. Died of prostate cancer in his early 50's. :o

Really? I thought it was throat cancer? The only album I had was "Sheik yer Bootie" I was 16 or 17 when it came out. I can remember a whole group of us playing the Bobby Brown song over and over and over.. :D

Really? I thought it was throat cancer? The only album I had was "Sheik yer Bootie" I was 16 or 17 when it came out. I can remember a whole group of us playing the Bobby Brown song over and over and over.. :D

'Ol Frank neither smoked or drank - not that smoking necessarily causes cancer of the throat. He didn't care too much for druggies either - was naturally high. :D

#1 Anything by Willie Nelson

#2 Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson

#3 Any old Matt Monroe Album

#4 Old Beatles ballads

#5 Any old Elvis Presley ballads

#6 Any Joni James ballads

#7 Any Nellie Lutcher songs

#8 Any Ernestine Anderson songs

#9 All "elevator music

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas

Living in the past gives me such joy

1- Traveling Wilburys Vol 1

2- Sgt Peppers, Beatles

3- Sheik Yerbouti, Frank Zappa

Used to have a Pat Travers tape I had recorded on an old ugly orange BASF, live on the King Biscuit Power Hour, my brother taped himslef playing crappy guitar over it... Wish I could get that show back somehow. Anyone ever heard it?

Did a Google and found it! :o King Biscuit has released many live shows on cd.

Edited by penzman

Osibisa (A group from Ghana – popular in UK) – Croydon (and Amazingly heard on a Bus in Bangkok last year !!)

Bill

I have one of their albulms. " We give you our treasure...." The cover is drawings of flying elephants.

If you had to choose three of your favorites albums, any type of music, what would the top three be?

Mine, after a longtime thinking are as follows:

1. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)

2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Genesis)

3. The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust And THe Spiders From Mars (Bowie)

Ok, they are mine, what are yours?

These are in pair's

1. poland/richochet.....tangerine dream

2. Atom heart mother/dark side of the moon..............pf

3. Days of future passed/in search of the lost chord.moody blues

• 3 years later...

whew...I'm exhausted just reading it...just wanna pick up a strat or a les paul jr and connect it to 5 million watts and LET RIP!!!

(tutsi...middle aged, long haired, bearded and desheveled...in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, with the nieces standing by to sing back up, does his sound check and looks over the assembled 50000 and sez 'one, two; one-two-three four!!')

this is actually a sad thread :D ...where are boon mee, georgie porgie (loveable old rightwing curmudgeons), penzman and I haven't seen chonabot around for awhile...we rocked TV back in them days...('here tutsi, get yerself another drink and siddown...yer gonna hurt yer back...')

(ol' mbkudu emerges from Bolinas to give folks a whack on occasion... :o )

Edited by tutsiwarrior

All time:

Beatles- Revolver

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Zeppelin 2

Electronica:

Chemical Brothers- Exit Planet Dust

Orbital- Insides

Future Sound of London- Dead Cites

Recent Stuff:

M.I.A -Kayla

Simian Mobile Disco- Attack Decay Sustain Release

Arcade Fire- Funeral

Best Live. Daft Punk at the O2 Festival, Hyde Park 2007.

Got to mention all the wicked live Jazz and Blues here in Thailand. Amazing :o .

Method Man - Tical

Nas - It was written

Nirvana - Nevermind

Greenday - Dookie

BIG - Life After Death

Jay-Z - Resonable Doubt

Redman - Muddy Waters

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

1. Never Mind the <deleted>

2. This Year's Model

3. The Velvet Underground & Nico

I was living in NottingHill in the sixties and was the first person in my crowd to buy the Beatles first LP "Please Please me" . I used to have to carry it around with me where ever we went, everyday. It must have been played a thousand times in different peoples houses, anyway because of this, that album will always have a place in my heart, not because of the musical excellence but the memories it stirs up on hearing any track. Be happy....Larry :o