Thai Gold Price Hits Record High

george

Channel 7 just agreed with George's original post and prices.

:o

Best bamboo telegraph in Thailand is not always the net.

:D

Helpful, but it's 2009 not 2008:

Agencies 2008-02-17 (at 1.30PM Bangkok time GMT+7)

Whatever year it is now, the Channel 7 news just had a second report just now stating the sames as earlier and also saying prices are well on the way to Baht 17,000/ Baht weight. In addition they mentioned Goldsmiths are being laid-off.

I would like to have some of your smoke.

Edited by ilyushin

Thai Gold price hits record high

BANGKOK: -- Local gold trading price hits record high at Baht 16,500 per one baht-weight of gold (15.244 gram).

Gold bar price is now at Baht 16,650

-- Agencies 2008-02-17 (at 1.30PM Bangkok time GMT+7)

I'm not to sure if that's correct or not. I buy gold often and use for gold quotes. This site updates prices as soon as gold prices change. The price right now is 15650 per 1 baht-weight gold bar.

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to ask these questions and if not please advise a forum I can. Where can I go to see as an American where gold is measured in value by ounces to see conversions for the gram system in Thailand. As an American my very limited experience on how to value gold is determined by the gold carat weight/value and how many ounces? I am currently on Phuket island and would like to sell some old gold jewelry after the stones are removed of the gold value. Where can I go in Thailand and armed with feedback/info from this forum to sell this gold?

Hi Elpasotx,

I think you might give consideration to the fact that American gold alloy simply does not stack up to Thai gold. Not suggesting one is better than the other simply different purity (carats) .

My recommendation is not to even begin to think in terms of trying to "cash in" on the present high prices, but to remove the stones from your old jewellery, find a reputable jeweller and ask him how many carats of your melted down gold he requires to make up a new piece of jewellery for you. If there is any left over, he might be able to make up a second piece for you (or, whatever). This way you can still enjoy your gold in a new form and the labour here is pretty cheap.

Cheers

:o Hi guys,

1k=4,167% of pure gold

9k= 37,5% of the mounting weight is pure gold

14k=58.3% of the mounting weight is pure gold

18k=75% of the mounting weight is pure gold

24k=100% of the mounting weight is pure gold

EX:

21grams of 18k= 21-75%=0.75

21-0,75g=20,25g of pure gold

TO SELL GOLD AFTER REMOVING THE STONES IS NOT A GREAT THING TO DO IF YOU ONLY HAVE A FEW RINGS...AND IF THE GOLD COMES FROM THEU.S. THEN GOOD LUCK , ALMOST NO CORNER GOLDSMITH WILL WANT IT...YOU CAN TRY IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTER OR AT SOME OF THE BIGGER LUXURY SHOPS.....WHAT KIND OF STONES ? WHAT KIND OF GOLD? WEIGHT ?...MY WIFE MAKES STUFF AND SHE HAS A LOT OF TRAINING...YOU CAN PM ME IF YOUWANT ANY MORE ADVICE. SHE IS IN HAWAII UNTIL FRIDAY.

This is how to do it without SHOUTING!

To sell gold after removing the stones is not a great thing to do if you only have a few rings...and if the gold comes from the US. Then good luck , almost no corner goldsmith will want it...you can try in the world trade center or at some of the bigger luxury shops.....what kind of stones ? What kind of gold? Weight ?...My wife makes stuff and she has a lot of training...you can pm me if you want any more advice. She is in Hawaii until Friday.

A little sensitive today you are.

Why do you care if the person uses upper or lower case letters?? At least you were offered some information.

Source from TNA/MCOT said 16,500 at 1:50pm this afternoon.

That would be for gold ornaments chains etc.

They are early.

High price today for Feb Futures is 15,770

Bid now 15760 and ask of 15,770 as of 3.10 p.m.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yours is for Gold Bars (bullion)

Hence the difference in the prices.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

The close yesterday

Gold bars, Bullion (THB) 15650 Bid 15750 Ask Higest price traded was 15,750 Baht

Gold Feb Futures 15790 Bid 15,800 Higest price traded yesterday was 15,800 Baht

Gold Ornaments (THB) 15417.72 Bid 16150 Ask

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

Also the "news" does not say gold ornaments are trading at 16,500 Baht. It quotes bar prices.

BANGKOK: -- Local gold trading price hits record high at Baht 16,500 per one baht-weight of gold (15.244 gram).

-- Agencies 2009-02-17 (at 1.30PM Bangkok time GMT+7)

Sometimes the news is wrong. It was a typo for sure.

By the way, would love to see gold bars trade at 16,500 Baht!!!!!! Hope the news was early and it was a good omen, :-)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to ask these questions and if not please advise a forum I can. Where can I go to see as an American where gold is measured in value by ounces to see conversions for the gram system in Thailand. As an American my very limited experience on how to value gold is determined by the gold carat weight/value and how many ounces? I am currently on Phuket island and would like to sell some old gold jewelry after the stones are removed of the gold value. Where can I go in Thailand and armed with feedback/info from this forum to sell this gold?

Use this precious metal calculator

http://www.yabz.com/gold/jewelry.htm

www,sunbeltasiagroup.com

I stopped bothering about Thai gold market after the bad experience I had last year. Remember once that when gold prices hit a low of THB 12,500 per BAHT of gold, no shops were willing to sell to me. I went high and low to many many gold shops in Yaowarat, Central and all the Malls and also MBK. no one wanted to sell, I was only looking to buy 2 Baht of gold.

So I came to the conclusion that when prices are low in Thailand, you can't buy it even if you want to, then.... what is the possibility of the gold shops wanting to buy it from me when the price is sky rocketing high, like now !!

I start to get the feeling that what ever business it is, when it comes to Thailand, its always a scam !!

I think the Thai authorities should try abolish the cartel- style gold industry in this country.

I understand the time you are talking about and understand your frustration, as it was a shortage of gold then in the World. The USA mint had stopped minting. Thailand was having problems getting shipments from the refiner in Switzerland at that time as well but still fortunate to get some gold.

I bought gold around that time, most of it was purchased on different days at the gold shop directly on Sukhumvit Rd between Soi 10 and Soi 12. When one day they limited me to 20 Baht per day and I loved the price that day. I jumped in a taxi and went to Chinatown. I went to over 20 shops and no luck. Couple shops could sell me around 5 Baht but no big bars.( I don't like the 5 baht boats as you have a spread of 200 baht versus 100 Baht on the bars. I then walked into a shop that sold me 100 Baht of gold( four 25 baht bars) at the ask of 12,600 Baht. It turned out from the gold certificate, it was a sister branch to the one on Sukhumvit RD Soi 10. Felt like a fool as I should have just gone there first, if only I would have bothered looking at the prior gold certificates that had both addresses listed.

Anyway I understand your frustration

I start to get the feeling that what ever business it is, when it comes to Thailand, its always a scam !!

:o:D:D:D:D:wai::P

Sounds like you start getting the real feel of Thailand... How long did it take you? :jerk:

I realised it long time ago but with the new experiences and info I am getting everyday, I am starting to think that this whole place has a load of shit. It looks good from the outside but once you get into Thailand, this society is about everybody taking advantage on everybody.....from politics to your daily life on the streets eg: The way Thais drive, the way they overprice everything and the way they lure you into a money trap and so on...... heck most of them don't even bother to speak English in Bangkok to make it more easier for foreigners. I am lucky that I do not have any money commitments or big investments in this country. Have been here just a little over 2 years to see if it is worth investing in this country and contributing to it but since Thais do not even know the basics of fairness and mutual benefit, I am pulling out end of this year and moving to a neighbouring country once my rental contract expires.. I don't see a good future here because I see an extremely greedy society which will not benefit itself at the end of the day.

That would be for gold ornaments chains etc.

They are early.

High price today for Feb Futures is 15,770

Bid now 15760 and ask of 15,770 as of 3.10 p.m.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yours is for Gold Bars (bullion)

Hence the difference in the prices.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

The close yesterday

Gold bars, Bullion (THB) 15650 Bid 15750 Ask Higest price traded was 15,750 Baht

Gold Feb Futures 15790 Bid 15,800 Higest price traded yesterday was 15,800 Baht

Gold Ornaments (THB) 15417.72 Bid 16150 Ask

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

Also the "news" does not say gold ornaments are trading at 16,500 Baht. It quotes bar prices.

-- Agencies 2009-02-17 (at 1.30PM Bangkok time GMT+7)

Sometimes the news is wrong. It was a typo for sure.

By the way, would love to see gold bars trade at 16,500 Baht!!!!!! Hope the news was early and it was a good omen, :-)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Well I read this yesterday hence my post

Gold prices hit new records

By The Nation

Gold prices on Monday rallied to Bt16,150 per 15 grammes, bouyed by the global levels which rose to the 7-month high.

Jitti Tangsithpakdi, president of the Gold Traders Association, attributed the volatility to global prices.

"We can't predict the future trend as the New York market closed on Monday. We will need to see what the price would go to tonight," he said. "Buying gold for speculation is not recommended right now, due to huge risks."

On July 22, global gold price hit the record high at US$41,034 per ounce.

Domestic gold prices were adjusted upward five times on the day. At the latest, bullions are sold in Bangkok at Bt15,750 per baht, the Thai wieghting standard equivalent to 15 gramme. Gold ornaments are quoted at Bt16,150.

The bullion prices started the day at Bt15.450 while ornaments at Bt15,850. The prices have been adjusted upward five times so far.

In Hong Kong, the major gold trading market in Asia, bullion climbed to US$958.50 an ounce, the highest since July 22, thanks to demand from investors who are fretting about the further slump in global economy and looking to the commodity to preserve their wealth.

The Link is here :D

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

TO SELL GOLD AFTER REMOVING THE STONES IS NOT A GREAT THING TO DO IF YOU ONLY HAVE A FEW RINGS...AND IF THE GOLD COMES FROM THEU.S. THEN GOOD LUCK , ALMOST NO CORNER GOLDSMITH WILL WANT IT...YOU CAN TRY IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTER OR AT SOME OF THE BIGGER LUXURY SHOPS.....WHAT KIND OF STONES ? WHAT KIND OF GOLD? WEIGHT ?...MY WIFE MAKES STUFF AND SHE HAS A LOT OF TRAINING...YOU CAN PM ME IF YOUWANT ANY MORE ADVICE. SHE IS IN HAWAII UNTIL FRIDAY.

This is how to do it without SHOUTING!

To sell gold after removing the stones is not a great thing to do if you only have a few rings...and if the gold comes from the US. Then good luck , almost no corner goldsmith will want it...you can try in the world trade center or at some of the bigger luxury shops.....what kind of stones ? What kind of gold? Weight ?...My wife makes stuff and she has a lot of training...you can pm me if you want any more advice. She is in Hawaii until Friday.

Shouting,get a life, it is easier to read in upper case.Who reall :o y cares.

About selling 12 or 14k gold in Thailand. I haven't tried it, but I did want to get some old rings of mine, 14k gold, melted and maybe mixed with some Thai gold and then made into a custom ring. Went to several jewelry stores/gold shops and nobody would do it. No reason why not was given. Never could figure that one out as I was willing to pay for the labor to make the new ring.

I did see on Yahoo this pm that gold was over 1K per ounce in New York.

About selling 12 or 14k gold in Thailand. I haven't tried it, but I did want to get some old rings of mine, 14k gold, melted and maybe mixed with some Thai gold and then made into a custom ring. Went to several jewelry stores/gold shops and nobody would do it. No reason why not was given. Never could figure that one out as I was willing to pay for the labor to make the new ring.

I did see on Yahoo this pm that gold was over 1K per ounce in New York.

I can sell my old news paper, pastic bottles, and other junks. Are you telling me that no one wanted your gold ring? I cannot believe it.

Domestic gold prices decline today

Domestic gold ornaments today (February 25th) were quoted at 16,500 baht per one-baht weight, lower than yesterday’s quotation of 16,700 baht per one-baht weight. Gold bars were quoted at 16,100 baht per one-baht weight, lower than yesterday’s quotation of 16,300 baht.

Prices of gold futures contracts at the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) for April delivery closed at US$969.50 per troy ounce, down by US$25.50 after moving in range of US$997.00-960.20 per troy ounce. As for other precious materials, platinum for April delivery closed yesterday at US$1,048.70 per troy ounce, down by US$30.80 while palladium for March delivery closed at US$201.40 per troy ounce, higher US$1.15 yesterday.

Investors sold off their gold futures contracts and invested their money in the NYMEX instead. Vibrant trading in stock markets emerged as the incumbent Chairman of the Board of Governors of the United States Federal Reserve, Mr. Ben S. Bernanke, assured the Congressmen last night (Thai local time) that the recession of the US economy would end by this year end. He added that the economy would be stagnant in the first half of 2009.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 25 February 2009

The gold price is going down in the European markets, some analists predict an downfall of 50% in the middle of the year.

Others predict $1200/oz by May and $2000 by end of year, so everyone needs to roll your own dice and make your own decisions

Interesting but are they any links to go with that Henry?

Or is your Lion Rampant Avatar blowing some smoke about?

I can give you some views of annalists but its in Dutch, but below I can give you some charts, sorry also in Dutch but its not so difficult to find out.

The price of gold is reached his top already but its going down now.

http://www.behr.nl/Beurs/Fondsh/goud.html

http://www.goetz.be/

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-...mentid=14502073

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/27/...losing-Gold.php

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dl...902069943/0/BIZ

if i write in all lower case letters is this okay?? can you "hear" me ok? try selling an 18 karat gold ring in your typical mom and pop shop and see what they say.....i have seen and heard of plenty of people getting ripped off selling alloy gold. so sorry indra.....

Since you have a Thai woman as your girlfriend and if you can trust her, then you can ask her to find a gold merchant, who is trustable.

However, you should also understand that it is a common practice that they'll value the metal itself, not the form, hence the payment will be based on the weight and price per gram.

The goldprice nobody can predict and all analysts are wrong over a longer period of time.

facts

1. gold,save your money during curencycrsis,at all times. for xample 1998 1 usd 1000 rupia indonesia,goldprice 300 usd..^year 2001,1 usd 16.000 rupia goldprice in usd 250,so gold go down in usd 20% but in localpricein 1998 300x1000 price 300.000 oz in 2001 250x16.000 price

4.000.000 a gain of 1333% in nominal .your return nothing,but if the money was in the bank even at intrests of 16% zou lost nearly all.

2. Gold go up, if goverments using the printingmachines and add heavy moneysupply

3. Gold is overvalues compair to platinum , same price but platinûm 30 times more rar than gold ) but you cant buy platinum at the price of comex,you pay high premiums)

4. Gold is fair valued compair to DJIA, DIA-gold ratio at 7

5. Gold is undervalues compair to the ammount of pappermoney

where the goldprice go.................

1. if printing of pappermoney continues at this pace there is not any priceprediction,but the price over longterm is only up and up, and it could easly reach levels people never dreaming about

2. in case of currencyfailure or a deptdefault of the USA,EU or JAPAN we see higher prices until it happen

3.if the system stabilize and there is a stoping of the printingmachines and no real inflation ahead, than goldprice goes down or sideways.

The best way to invest in gold.

Buy Coins from lienthai ) centralbank), every year new issues , 1 baht coins, sold at the FACEVALUE. this coins have a facevalue. i buy them since about 8 years the first issues was 4000,than 6000, than 7500 ,than 9000,than 12000 last i bought 16.000.

the fact is when i bought the 16000 face value, the goldprice was 14.000 for one baht.

why this coins are good.

1. goldprice go up ,you can sell at goldprice spot

2. goldprice go down 10% or 90% ,dont care the cenrtralbank take back the coins at facevalue of 16.000

this coins was very very popular in singapore and hongkong and others until 2001 , butbthere are no new issues with high facevalue only in thailand.

remark the 16.000 coins are sold out, but could bought at dealers for under 17.000, so even there your risk is limited to 1000 thb per baht.

for readers i am stil buying gold, FOREIGN gold only COINS bullion or 900-916.,thaicoins and bars

please BM

remark i read many about people want to sell jewlery with lowgrade, there is nearly no way in asia or price is half of goldvalue.