Engine Oil For Suzuki Vs 1400

khunandy

Hi all,

I have a V twin Suzuki VS 1400 I bought a month ago and am about to start some maintenance on her.

My question is that due to our climate here should I stick to the factory recommended SAE 10W-40 or not?

Reading some websites, bikes in hotter climates use a different grade oil such as SAE 20W-50 can anyone give me some info please?

Another, probably stupid, question. oil filter: Can I expect that to be stocked in a local Suzuki dealer or would it have to be ordered in? Do they just order off the part number?

Andy

Khunandy as the bike was never officially sold here its unlikely that a Suzuki dealer can help. but somewhere like Red Baron in BKK or EBAY. 10-40 is what i would use. if your bike has already done a few thousand km, then you might want to use a synthetic oil. but again i would google your bike and find out what other owners think.

Have fun with your new ride. maybe see you at one of the many Thai bike weekends.

Allan

Khunandy as the bike was never officially sold here its unlikely that a Suzuki dealer can help. but somewhere like Red Baron in BKK or EBAY. 10-40 is what i would use. if your bike has already done a few thousand km, then you might want to use a synthetic oil. but again i would google your bike and find out what other owners think.

Have fun with your new ride. maybe see you at one of the many Thai bike weekends.

Allan

Thanks Allen,

I have been scouring the Intruder related forums and websites and to me it seems that 10-40 is the standard with variables applied to charactoristics of individual bikes such as hard shifting or clutch slippage.

Also seem to be leaning towards synthetic oils after a certain amount of KMs..mine has 18000 km but no hard shifting or clutch slippage...so, 10-40 synthetic is where I will start

Thanks again and hope to see you around the traps, possibly Khon Kaen this weekend.

Andy