Aussie Rules (or Other Sports)

I'm a huge Aussie rules follower. Always have and always will be. I intend to move to Thailand one day and apart from missing my family and friends, I think not being able to go to the footy each week will be a big kick in the stomach for me.

What are some of your experiences regarding the "need" to see your favourite sport live and not being able to?

I'm a huge Aussie rules follower.  Always have and always will be.  I intend to move to Thailand one day and apart from missing my family and friends, I think not being able to go to the footy each week will be a big kick in the stomach for me.

What are some of your experiences regarding the "need" to see your favourite sport live and not being able to?

Considering how the Blues have been playing these past few years.... its been quite a blessing :o

cv

181927bb.jpg

Usually you adapt a local sport to take its place....but you need not concern too much...you can get live AFL there on Sky and/or UBC...and of course with the internet you can keep track of things too. Not the same as being there but at least you dont lose touch entirely.

Edited by gburns57au

Considering how the Blues have been playing these past few years.... its been quite a blessing :D

cv

I should have made the move to Thailand 22 years ago. Wouldn't have missed a thing. Only one guess to know who I barrack for.

But still, I love the Mighty Tigers.

Made it a condition for my wife when we married that she barracked for the Tiges. She hasn't forgiven me yet. :o

.but you need not concern too much...you can get live AFL there on Sky and/or UBC....

I subscribed to UBC in Sep and have not seen anything that even resembles Oz Rules, Rugby League, Cricket etc. All I ever see is soccer from every country imagineable. Im sure that if there was soccer played on the moon it would be shown on UBC.

I dont know whether this quote is accurate at all.

If I am wrong I will be very very happy. SICK of Soccer. Boring!!!!!

Cable TV in Patong has Aussie Rules ( a day late). There is always somewhere to view any sport, for example the Aussie Bar here has a South African channell with all the cricket from anywhere. Cable TV here also has an Indian Cricket channell.

The sad thing is when you retunn to Melbourne for a break, and the locals think people in Thailand are interested in the game. They don't believe there is no overseas interest. Some even think AFL is played here, and get upset when they are told it is'nt.

Usually you adapt a local sport to take its place....but you need not concern too much...you can get live AFL there on Sky and/or UBC...and of course with the internet you can keep track of things too. Not the same as being there but at least you dont lose touch entirely.

Do you actually live in Thailand ?

There's is no Aussie rules football on UBC, and SKY - if you are talking of the channel that broadcast in the U.K, owned by murdoch - is not avialable in LOS.

I really miss Super 12 Rugby and the NRL from OZ. There is a pub in Chiang Mai that does get all the Rugby(special Sat channel...South African I think?), but if I went there for every game, I would be more of a piss head than I am now. :o:D

Do you actually live in Thailand ?

There's is no Aussie rules football on UBC, and SKY - if you are talking of the channel that broadcast in the U.K, owned by murdoch - is not avialable in LOS.

I am talking about the channel that broadcasts live AFL games in Thailand.. there is a channel that does broadcast it, dont look for it now as it is off season. Go and ask Bob or Roundy at the Roo bar...it is always on there.

Edited by gburns57au

You can pick up live Aussie Rules and NRL every weekend on ABC Asia Pacific. You'll need the larger satellite dish and an uninterupted line of sight to the satellite (i.e. a high vantage point). It costs around 20,000 baht one-off payment.

It depends on where you choose to live in Thailand. ABC asia pacific service show 5 games per week and these are delayed by about 3 hours. Most of the pirate cable TV companies run ABC asia pacific . But if you live in an area where this is not available you need to install a dish for about 16000 baht and you will pick it up from the satellite that covers the Phillapines. Cricket coverage here is pretty non existant. You get a little bit from the Indian channels.

• 1 month later...

I used to play for the Singapore Wombats, there is quite a good SEAsian competition going on. We travelled to VN and played the Saigon Saints with a channel 7 TV crew following us doing a documentry. We always played the navy boys when they were in town.

Not quite AFL standards, but a good time is always had during and after games.