Thai Rice Porridge?

KMixon

Ahh, Thank you, thank you. Judging by what you all said and described, I think I might have had khao tom. However, I now am really excited to try jock. Any suggestion of great places in Bangkok? Thanks.

Edited by KMixon

Ahh, Thank you, thank you. Judging by what you all said and described, I think I might have had khao tom. However, I now am really excited to try jock. Any suggestion of great places in Bangkok? Thanks.

pronouncing it is paramount... usually transliterated as jok and pronounced similar to joke.

I'd hate to see you order it and through some miscommunication, end up with this floating in some sort of rice broth...

jock_vt.jpg

Khaw Tom (ข้าวต้ม).  Basically cooked rice in broth.  Thai celery, fried garlic and it's oil, black pepercorn, meat of any kind are added.  

Should not have any lime juice or mint.  So I'm not sure what you had as rice porridge.  As jook congee don't go well with lime eighter.  :o

When we were in Thailand last summer I had a kind of rice porridge for breakfast. The broth was very light, but full of flavor. There was chicken, lime juice, maybe some mint and rice in it. I love love love this dish, but really have no idea what it is or what it is called. When we return I am planning on eating it everyday...or many times at least, but first i need to know what to ask for.

Thanks!

post-50475-1236045798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maccheroncini

If served with a wedge of lime, it was probably khao tom, not jok.

The only time you would get Khao Tom "served with a wedge of lime" would be if you ordered "Khao Tom Kui" - which is a bowl of plain Kao Tom (boiled rice with liquid as opposed to "dry").

This is a meal in itself - usually eaten late at night after an evening "on the town".

The plain rice soup is accompanied by a wide range of side dishes - for example "Yam Kung Haeng", "Yam Khai Khem", "Pla Khem pad khana", "Khai jiew moo sap" etc. etc.. The "Yam" dishes will usually be spiced with squeezed lime to taste.

My favourite late night meal.

dam_n I'm hungry now!

Patrick

If served with a wedge of lime, it was probably khao tom, not jok.

The only time you would get Khao Tom "served with a wedge of lime" would be if you ordered "Khao Tom Kui" - which is a bowl of plain Kao Tom (boiled rice with liquid as opposed to "dry").

This is a meal in itself - usually eaten late at night after an evening "on the town".

The plain rice soup is accompanied by a wide range of side dishes - for example "Yam Kung Haeng", "Yam Khai Khem", "Pla Khem pad khana", "Khai jiew moo sap" etc. etc.. The "Yam" dishes will usually be spiced with squeezed lime to taste.

My favourite late night meal.

dam_n I'm hungry now!

Patrick

Perhaps not in Bangkok, Patrick. In the provinces I've been served khao tom khreuang plenty of times with a wedge or two of lime on the side, esp in the N and NE.

But one thing you I've never seen, in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand, is jok served with lime. Therefore I conclude the OP refers to khao tom (esp since s/he also mentions mint, which is often on the table at Lao/Isan restos) :o

My favourite has evolved from this, khou tom pla(tuna) sai kai, gap kratium. Which is rice soup with a can of tuna,egg, onion, ginger shredded mushroom, with grated garlic, & coriander, chilli flakes of course, no wonder she calls me the walking mongrel.

best regards songhklasid.