Passenger Limit (legal)

nokia

In the cargo area as long as you can throw a cargo net over them it will be ok sould be able to fit about 15 some will argue and say 20.

As long as you've got a large blanket just under the safety net to hide them there. :o

But seriously, nobody's allowed in the cargo deck. If you get into an accident with someone in the back, your insurance will not pay for anything. And I gotta feel bad for those 2 mothers and 5 kids that died when their pickup with 20 kids in the back ran off the road and rolled.

Don't know about seat belt law for the rear seat passengers in a quad cab. I insist that my passengers wear theirs. Sometimes they beach and moan about it, but when given the choice between buckling up and walking, everybody grabs the buckle. Ever see a back seat passenger after a head-on? It's like they're slingshotted through the windscreen...very messy.

In the cargo area as long as you can throw a cargo net over them it will be ok sould be able to fit about 15 some will argue and say 20.

Of course, it's common to see 10-20 people in the cargo area of extended/single cabs.

How about only 1 or 2 persons seated in the cargo area of a double cab? without any blanket/cargo net?

Is it legally acceptable? Or must one spend money to fit a carry-boy cover over the cargo area in order to carry extra passengers in the cargo area legally?

As for the passengers in the back I don't think they have to wear seat belts. But the passenger in the front does. I got a ticket because my old girlfriend did not wear her seatbelt. As for the back, if there is a carry boy I think can fit many as long as they are not Burmese, PAD or wear red shirts. If no cage, I think people can ride in the back but cannot drive on the right lanes nor on any tollways, etc.

As for the passengers in the back I don't think they have to wear seat belts. But the passenger in the front does. I got a ticket because my old girlfriend did not wear her seatbelt. As for the back, if there is a carry boy I think can fit many as long as they are not Burmese, PAD or wear red shirts. If no cage, I think people can ride in the back but cannot drive on the right lanes nor on any tollways, etc.
As far as I can see in the highway code the only law that relates to this is about the height of your load, so as long as you don't stack 'em more than 2 metres high you should be OK :o

So if i put 2 passengers in the open cargo area, because i have 6 passengers including myself in the double-cab,

& they are seated properly on the cargo bed, rather than on the side panels commonly seen on the roads,

do i still need to install a metal cage to pass a police check point???

It depends on where you are driving. I don't think you will be able to drive on highways. Local roads are ok but not highways like phetkasem rd or kanchanaphisek. It depends on whether the cop will stop you or not. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. If in Bkk driving locally should be no problem, but in the suburbs a cage is needed for passengers regardless. If you plan to put passengers in the back cargo for long drives a carryboy is a must legally.

It depends on where you are driving. I don't think you will be able to drive on highways. Local roads are ok but not highways like phetkasem rd or kanchanaphisek. It depends on whether the cop will stop you or not. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. If in Bkk driving locally should be no problem, but in the suburbs a cage is needed for passengers regardless. If you plan to put passengers in the back cargo for long drives a carryboy is a must legally.

mdechgan, thank you for the concise reply. Will take note to install a carryboy/cage if driving on highways.

Cheers!

You can use the canvas frame covers you know the ones that are about same height of the cab about 1,000-1,400baht. as long as the passengers are covered its ok. seen them on the tollway as well. rule of thumb cover every thing and any thing if on the tollway the BIB are bastards, got 500 baht fine for not having the bike covered.

Allan

You can use the canvas frame covers you know the ones that are about same height of the cab about 1,000-1,400baht. as long as the passengers are covered its ok. seen them on the tollway as well. rule of thumb cover every thing and any thing if on the tollway the BIB are bastards, got 500 baht fine for not having the bike covered.

Allan

Is the canvas frame cover over a full cage or a partial sloping cage common seen on the roads?

Actually i dont see how 2 diagonal ramps installed on top of the side panels can protect the passengers besides providing some sort of handgrip.

Cheers!

I see that the helpful answers are in short supply today.

> Is it legally acceptable? Or must one spend money to fit a carry-boy cover over

> the cargo area in order to carry extra passengers in the cargo area legally?

From my understanding talking to an insurance broker when I covered our Ranger, people transported loose in the cargo space of a pickup are not covered under the insurance policy as they are not considered passengers- they do not have a seat or restraint belt etc.

Our record was 15 people I think some years ago.

Having a canvas cover just means that they get less wet?

Having seen a pickup turn over on a highway I would suggest that there are better ways to move bodies around, unless they are already dead.

As for police check points, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fine for overloading a pickup in this way, probably the best way to avoid the fine is not be the driver.

As for selt-belts I believe the ruling is if fitted they must be worn.

The rule when I drive is if the selt belt is not worn I don't drive, took a few family members a couple of goes to understand that I could wait longer then them, but I don't want Somchai headbutting me when I have to brake hard as his buffalo leaps into the road.

I see that the helpful answers are in short supply today.

> Is it legally acceptable? Or must one spend money to fit a carry-boy cover over

> the cargo area in order to carry extra passengers in the cargo area legally?

From my understanding talking to an insurance broker when I covered our Ranger, people transported loose in the cargo space of a pickup are not covered under the insurance policy as they are not considered passengers- they do not have a seat or restraint belt etc.

Our record was 15 people I think some years ago.

Having a canvas cover just means that they get less wet?

Having seen a pickup turn over on a highway I would suggest that there are better ways to move bodies around, unless they are already dead.

As for police check points, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fine for overloading a pickup in this way, probably the best way to avoid the fine is not be the driver.

As for selt-belts I believe the ruling is if fitted they must be worn.

The rule when I drive is if the selt belt is not worn I don't drive, took a few family members a couple of goes to understand that I could wait longer then them, but I don't want Somchai headbutting me when I have to brake hard as his buffalo leaps into the road.

Very good advice. Thank you Cuban for sharing your experience & advice.

It's better to be safe than sorry. So better buckled everyone up. And passengers inside carry-boy are not insurance-proof because they dont wear seat belts.

Cheers!

Good advice indeed.... but this is Thailand. i have it from the the BIB that done me that if the passengers are covered then its ok. but hey if you want to go and buy a minibus go ahead. if you look at how Thai's do it this is the norm. does not mean its legal but then your supposed to wear a helmet...............how many BIB do you see without..............many.

Allan