How Many Countries Border Thailand?

Dont Panic

approximately what percentage of adult thais can name the four countries that border Thailand?

Im not Thai, but I guess you know the answer.

So, how many percentage?

I would guess it is a few % less than Americans that can name and place all the 50 states on their map.

:o

Btw, I believe geography has a rather low priority in the schools here.

approximately what percentage of adult thais can name the four countries that border Thailand?

So, how many percentage?

I would guess it is a few % less than Americans that can name and place all the 50 states on their map.

I think things have changed all over the world, it would be interesting to see what countries teach Geography & History these days.

I actually wonder about some of the kids in Oz Do they know the states & territories of Oz and what is the Captial & where was the first capital I am sure there would be some very different answers so we have to be careful not to "call the kettle black" eg:

> > > > A Washington DC Airport Ticket Agent Offers Examples Of Why America Is> > In Trouble!> > > > The Following Are Funny......But Also True> > > >

1. I had a New Hampshire Congresswoman ask for an aisle seat so that > her> > hair wouldn't get messed up by being near the window. (On an > airplane!).

2. I got a call from a candidate's staffer, who wanted to go to Cape> > Town. > > > > I started to explain the length of the flight and he passport> > information, then she interrupted me with, 'I'm not trying to make> > you look stupid, but Cape town is in Massachusetts.. .' Without trying> > to make her look stupid, I calmly explained, 'Cape Cod is in> > Massachusetts, Cape town is in Africa.' Her response - click.

3. A senior Vermont Congressman called, furious about a Florida > package> > we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said > he> > was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that's not> > possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied,> > 'Don't lie to me, I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin > state> (OMG).

4. I got a call from a lawmaker's wife who asked, 'Is it possible to > see> > England from Canada?' I said, 'No.'> > > > She said, 'But they look so close on the map.' (OMG, again!).

5. An aide for a cabinet member once called and asked if he could rent > a> > car in Dallas. When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had only > a> > 1-hour layover in Dallas .. When I asked him why he wanted to rent a> > car, he said, 'I heard Dallas was a big airport, and we will need a > car> > to drive between gates to save time.' (Aghhhh).

6. An Illinois Congresswoman called last week. She needed to know how > it> > was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:30 AM got to > Chicago> > at 8:33 AM. I explained that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, > but> > she couldn't understand the concept of time zones. Finally, I told her> > the plane went fast, and she bought> > that.

7. A New York lawmaker called and asked, 'Do airlines put your > physical> > description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to whom?' I> > said, 'No, why do you ask?' She replied, 'Well, when I checked in with> > the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said (FAT), and I'm> > overweight. I think that's very rude!' After putting her on hold for a> > minute while I looked into it (I was laughing).> > I came back and explained the city code for Fresno , CA is (FAT -> > Fresno Air Terminal), and the airline was just putting a destination > tag> > on her luggage.

8. A Senator's aide called to inquire about a trip package to Hawaii.> > > > After going over all the cost info, she asked, 'Would it be cheaper to> > fly to California, and then take the train to Hawaii ?'

9. I just got off the phone with a freshman Congressman who asked, > 'How> > do I know which plane to get on?' I asked him what exactly he meant, > to> > which he replied, 'I was told my flight number is 823, but none of > these> > planes have numbers on them.'

10. A lady Senator called and said, 'I need to fly to Pepsi-Cola,> > Florida . Do I have to get on one of those little computer planes?' I> > asked if she meant fly to Pensacola , Fl. on a commuter plane. She > said,> > 'Yeah, whatever, smarty!'

11. A senior Senator called and had a question about the documents he> > needed in order to fly to China . After a lengthy discussion about> > passports, I reminded him that he needed a visa.> > 'Oh, no I don't. I've been to China many times and never had to have > one> > of those.' I double checked and sure enough, his stay required a visa.> > When I told him this he said, 'Look, I've been to China four times and> > every time they have accepted my American Express!'.

12. A New Mexico Congresswoman called to make reservations. 'I want to> > go from Chicago to Rhino, New York .' I was at a loss for words.> > Finally, I said, 'Are you sure that's the name of the town?' 'Yes, > what> > flights do you have?' replied the lady. After some searching, I came> > back with, 'I'm sorry, ma'am, I've looked up every airport code in the> > country and can't find a Rhino anywhere. 'The lady retorted, 'Oh, > don't> > be silly! Everyone knows where it is. Check your map!' So I scoured a> > map of the state of New York and finally offered, 'You don't mean> > Buffalo , do you?' > > > > The reply! 'Whatever! I knew it was a big animal.'

Now you know why 'The Government' is in the shape that it's in.

So, how many percentage?

There is evidence that kids from poor inner city and poor rural US schools (especially those with many immigrants) show a shocking ignorance of the geography of their country, but the average adult citizen knows it pretty well. Besides, placing 50 States on a map is not quite the same thing as naming 4 countries.

Obviously.

So, how many percentage?

There is evidence that kids from poor inner city and poor rural US schools (especially those with many immigrants) show a shocking ignorance of the geography of their country, but the average adult citizen knows it pretty well. Besides, placing 50 States on a map is not quite the same thing as naming 4 countries.

Obviously.

...unfortunately. Knowing more about other countries, peoples, cultures etc. could create new thoughts and ideas and therefore broaden the mind.

the obvious answer from the political map is 4.

but here's food for thought....given that the earth is a sphere, how far underground does a country's sovereignty go ? I'm thinking of a country's territory as a 3 dimensional wedge, not some 2 dimensional lines on a map, so depending on how deep a country's borders run, there could potentially be more borders :o

Edited by kiakaha

A bar girl once tried to put in on me, "I want to go to New Zealand so much, you take me"... I asked her to show me where it was on the Thai Airways inflight magazine map... Well, I certainly had no idea that NZ was slap in the middle of the Phillipines .. I do now though.

A bar girl once tried to put in on me, "I want to go to New Zealand so much, you take me"... I asked her to show me where it was on the Thai Airways inflight magazine map... Well, I certainly had no idea that NZ was slap in the middle of the Phillipines .. I do now though.

And did her lack of education make you feel educated, educated enough to ridicle those less educated than youself ?

Maybe you need educating in other fields. :o

And did her lack of education make you feel educated, educated enough to ridicle those less educated than youself ?

Maybe you need educating in other fields. :o

What part of my post suggested that I ridiculed her??? Why have you got such a big chip on your shoulder... Let me guess your wife is geographically challenged as well?

This is obviously a thread aimed at dissing Thai people, as the OP knows that is a Farang based forum, he poses a question that will obviously lead to the usual suspects dissing the whole Thai population from the safety of their seat behing their computer.

I just wonder how many of these internet warriors are so brave in reality ? Should we start a new Topic ?

Topic : How many posters here who continuously put Thai people down apply for Visas to stay in Thailand , which has 65 Million Thais, the very people they slag off at every opportunity ?

And how many of them will confront Thai people with their problems with Thai people ?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp..... :o

This is obviously a thread aimed at dissing Thai people, as the OP knows that is a Farang based forum, he poses a question that will obviously lead to the usual suspects dissing the whole Thai population from the safety of their seat behing their computer.

I just wonder how many of these internet warriors are so brave in reality ? Should we start a new Topic ?

Topic : How many posters here who continuously put Thai people down apply for Visas to stay in Thailand , which has 65 Million Thais, the very people they slag off at every opportunity ?

And how many of them will confront Thai people with their problems with Thai people ?

Dude stop being such an apologist for the Thai people. If they took a long hard look at themselves and tried to fix the many problems here, then perhaps this country might rise up the failed state that it is ... until then I am enjoying my 50baht Chang in paradise..

Dude stop being such an apologist for the Thai people. If they took a long hard look at themselves and tried to fix the many problems here, then perhaps this country might rise up the failed state that it is ... until then I am enjoying my 50baht Chang in paradise..

50 baht chang????

you are getting ripped off mate,there is decent beer for 50 baht.Is dude american????

Actually, I find maigo6's post here spot on. I also find it interesting that anyone who dares not slag off Thai people at every opportunity is labelled an "apologist"

The fact is that many people are ignorant. Sure, we are in Thailand so we could also discuss the utter ignorance of many people who visit this country and know next to nothing about it or its culture, or we could discuss those people who choose to come and live here with only a faint understanding and an utter unwillingness to accept that their own culture and way of doing things isnt' the be-all and end-all of civilization.

Or, we could even discuss forum rules

extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.
and how some member's sole agenda appears to be bringing up only the negative and the insulting.

So, given that the focus of this thread appears to be, in the main, promoting negative views of Thailand without any kind of point,

///CLOSED///