Atlanta Hotel Bangkok

keepwalking

Eek its a shi*e hole - better off staying at the Majestic Suites at the end of the day. :o

Tnx brit. Thing is tho' that Majestic Suites is over double the price of Atlantis. Im only going for one night, but even so, being a Scot, I have padlocks on my purse. :D

Seriously though, I consider myself frugal rather than a tight-wad..and unless the Majestic or similar is worth double the money of the Atlantis, I cant really see it being value for money. ..?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubts that if any Farang walked into the Atlanta Hotel with a Thai wife or respectable looking Thai girlfriend of a similar age group, that they would be welcome

I don't think they would allow unmarried couples there to share a room. Period. Read the website.

will we have to bring our marriage certificates with us and show them the rings too ....what a load of crap this hotel sounds like ..i wont even darken the door of this place

The Atlanta Hotel's is good for a few laughs.

it is the prerogative of each business to have its own policies as long as these do not violate any laws. Atlanta's policies are clearly spelled out and are surely not ridiculous enough to cause laughter. the length of the establishment's existence is proof of success. nobody can deny that.

you no like Atlanta, you no go Atlanta. as simple as that.

a friend, thai born but raised in Australia, top notch lawyer with a 'magic circle' corporate law firm arrived early there for an arranged lunch with friends. She was barred entry.

doesn't that violate thai law?

Eek its a shi*e hole - better off staying at the Majestic Suites at the end of the day. :o

Tnx brit. Thing is tho' that Majestic Suites is over double the price of Atlantis. Im only going for one night, but even so, being a Scot, I have padlocks on my purse. :D

Seriously though, I consider myself frugal rather than a tight-wad..and unless the Majestic or similar is worth double the money of the Atlantis, I cant really see it being value for money. ..?

Just padlocks? Mine's is welded shut.

Brigante7.

Hello,

Looking for any input on whether something is legal here or not.

I went to the Atlanta Hotel Cafe today..Soi 2 Sukhumvit. My guidebook said it was a charming old style hotel cafe with vegetarian food which is good for me. Walked deep into the Soi and eventually found it - not an impressive building but indeed a charming cafe and throwback foyer.

On walking in, there was a big sign saying "sex tourists not welcome". I am not one so thought ok, fair enough, and went in. I sat down in the cafe and was brought the menu and ordered. The menu repeats and explains their policy on sex tourists - it seems admirable enough but is perhaps quite pompously expressed (I cannot remember the phrasing but one part was like "if you do not agree with us you do not matter"). Anyway, that is not my point.

On paying my bill I said to the old lady at the checkout it was a nice cafe. She asked me if I was a tourist - I said no. She asked me where I lived. Also who I lived with. I told her I lived with my girlfriend. She asked if my girlfriend was Thai - I said yes. All this was done with smiles and isnt the weather lovely type atmosphere. She then said I seemed respectable enough and am welcome back but my gf would not be able to come, in fact no Thai people could come with me. Seeking clarity she said it did not depend if man woman old or young - no Thai person.... but another farang would be welcome as long as that person looked respectable. She pointed to the "policy" in the menu about sex tourists...I said "that is not me" but she said it did not matter.

Nonplussedly, I did not start a row but was not best impressed by the fact I could not bring my gf because...what?... she is Thai and may be interpreted by other guests as being a bar girl or similar?

So....is banning Thai customers from the cafe legal? It seems baby out with the bathwater type stuff.......I may try to turn up with a dear old Thai grandpa and granny to test their policy.

Its 100% legal - it's been challenged before many times: my father was a friend of Max's and he remembers many times folk telling Max they were going to do this or that, and how dare the hotel staff think this or that of them or their lady friend ... blah blah, blah blah ..... Max would laugh it off - and its the last one would hear of the whinger. Nothing ever came of the threats or complaints.

For those who dont know the ATLANTA - its a fine hotel - a real hotel in the old fashioned traditional sense - started by a ex-pat who loved thailand and treated its people with respect. Stay there once and you won;t want to stay at any other Bkk hotel - its quite unique, and long may it last.

Interesting isn't it, that despite its rigid standpoint - the ATLANTA it has no problem filling its rooms.

By the way - the no Thai people is not correct: I have stayed there many times with my other half and I know others who have as well - but check they will, to ensure it is indeed your other half (i.e. married)- and even then if they dont like the look of you, they wont hesitate to aks you to leave.

Edited by Maizefarmer

My bf is a respectable Thai man, who i imagine (i hope) would be able to get past this policy. However, I strongly believe he shouldnt need to!

that's the thing, he wouldn't make it past their test, which is why i will always boycott the place based on principle.

Majestic Suites is better, by the way, I have stayed there a couple times. but even better than that, if you can reserve in advance, is Suk 11, which is in the same area,

its simple. for young people, its chemically off putting to view some old, fat, bald horny bugger perving it up in public with his paid company. yeah, we get you have hormones, congrats on that, but please dont put use off our suppers. Yes, I am sure you will find that offensive and want us young people to know that "you're just like us". yes, sure you are.

I've checked out the Atlanta hotel a few times, and to be honest, despite my personal disagreements with some of the political philosophies of the all-knowing Dr. Max Henn, the place was charming and, to be honest, quite refreshing compared to the depravities of the nearly Nana district.

Why stay anywhere near the vicinity of that area if you feel that way?

Personally I think it's a great idea to have a hotel with no Thai prostitutes or johns allowed. No loud music and noises until early hours in the morning, no TV switched on 24/7, no sleazy old men creeping around the corridors at night and none of these reprobates that perpetuate the bad image of us Westerners in Thailand.

im 35 my wife is 31 ....we should not have to answer to a hotel receptionist if we want to stay in their hotel...they should be glad of getting business in these recession times...who do they(owners) think they are !!! i personally wouldnt even attempt to stay in this dingy old style shit hole..i like a modern ,clean,friendly hotel any time dealing with people who are glad to get your business........my wifes sister is a reporter with tv5 thai army television and she is going to check out this place......and the audasity of the owner who was married to a thai woman in the first place....not all thai women are sex workers and not all tourists are sex tourists....come on what century are we living in............

Well look at this in another perspective.

In Chiang Mai where I live, I know of a few restaurants where youngish Thai tarts hang about outside willing to be company for any stupid Farang that will buy them a meal.

It gives the place a bad reputation as a decent class restaurant and puts a lot of family groups and middle aged couples off visiting the place.

These eating establishments rely on good reputations and want to be known in the tourist guides as high class venues.

I have no doubts that if any Farang walked into the Atlanta Hotel with a Thai wife or respectable looking Thai girlfriend of a similar age group, that they would be welcome.

Sassienie do you always talk like a complete cock? The whole point of this thread that respectable Thais are very unwelcome indeed.

Nobhead.

I've checked out the Atlanta hotel a few times, and to be honest, despite my personal disagreements with some of the political philosophies of the all-knowing Dr. Max Henn, the place was charming and, to be honest, quite refreshing compared to the depravities of the nearly Nana district.

Why stay anywhere near the vicinity of that area if you feel that way?

Personally I think it's a great idea to have a hotel with no Thai prostitutes or johns allowed. No loud music and noises until early hours in the morning, no TV switched on 24/7, no sleazy old men creeping around the corridors at night and none of these reprobates that perpetuate the bad image of us Westerners in Thailand.

Sounds like my type of hotel :o

Most tourist accommodation won't allow Thai guests.

Completely untrue.

actually...... was trying to book a place for a friend sometime back

when I called and spoke on the phone the receptionist asked me what nationality the guest is (I spoke to her in thai), when I asked why, she advised they do not accept bookings for thai people.

that was when I politely declined to book a room for my friend (even though hes not thai)

another well known case are the bars in Thaniya. I havent tried to go in :o but perhaps someone can test my assumption for me and report back? :D

Majestic Suites is better, by the way, I have stayed there a couple times. but even better than that, if you can reserve in advance, is Suk 11, which is in the same area,

As noted above, Majestic Suites cost more than double The Atlanta. Suk 11 is also more expensive. Personally I prefer The Atlanta over Suk 11. The Atlanta's owner is peculiar enough but the Suk 11's owner is even more arrogant. Say what you will about Mr H (Atlanta), I have never seen him be as rude to guests or prospective guests as Mr A at Suk 11.

In that price range (under 1000B), the only competition The Atlanta has is over in Khao San. Nothing in the Sukhumvit area. Overall the KS places can be better value roomwise, but none have swimming pools for that price or restaurants with authentic Thai food. Suk 11 also, no pool (but very decent tourist Thai restaurant out front).

There are better deals than the Majestic Suites (for that price range) in the Suk area, by the way (IMO). In The Atlanta's price range, I don't think there is.

Edited by wayfarer108

As noted above, Majestic Suites cost more than double The Atlanta. Suk 11 is also more expensive. Personally I prefer The Atlanta over Suk 11. The Atlanta's owner is peculiar enough but the Suk 11's owner is even more arrogant. Say what you will about Mr H (Atlanta), I have never seen him be as rude to guests or prospective guests as Mr A at Suk 11.

In that price range (under 1000B), the only competition The Atlanta has is over in Khao San. Nothing in the Sukhumvit area. Overall the KS places can be better value roomwise, but none have swimming pools for that price or restaurants with authentic Thai food. Suk 11 also, no pool (but very decent tourist Thai restaurant out front).

There are better deals than the Majestic Suites (for that price range) in the Suk area, by the way (IMO). In The Atlanta's price range, I don't think there is.

The cheap places I've stayed at in that area were the Crown, between Sois 6 and 8, and the Golden Palace, on Soi 1. This is going back close to 20 years ago. They were each around B300 a night back then, anyone know what they charge now? Unless they've had a major refurbishment, they can't have gone up too much.

There are plenty of hotels in this area with restraunt, swimming pool etc for under 1000 bht.

Federal Hotel Suk 11

Honey hotel Suk 19

Miami hotel Suk 13

One down the end of Soi Nana (can't remember the name)

Many more...

What are you on about? :o

There are plenty of hotels in this area with restraunt, swimming pool etc for under 1000 bht.

Federal Hotel Suk 11

No rooms under a thousand at the Fed. Their own website quotes 1,200-1,500B per room. Pool doesn't compare very well with the Atlanta's, which is larger and has a better filtering system. Atlanta's coffeeshop has better food but I do like the Fed coffeeshop. If you can afford the rates, not a bad choice but pricewise it doesn't compete.

Honey hotel Suk 19

Has a chequered reputation as far as security of your possessions goes (see tripadvisor.com).

Pretty much the epitome of the Sukhumvit sex tourist hotel (tripadvisor comment: 'Basically a brothel'). Decent pool though though again not on the same level as the Atlanta's. Is it under a thou?

Miami hotel Suk 13

Rooms cost 900-1100 baht. A seedy dump, pool doesn't compare, unfriendly, too much short-time traffic detracts, noisy.

Many more...

I think you need to update yourself on prices and conditions. Park Hotel on soi 7 would have fit the bill only two years ago, for example, when you could get a room for 900B, but the rates now are 1600 baht, occasionally discounted to 1300.

Don't know what place down Nana you're referring to, but if the Nana or Rajah they're both are well over 1000B now.

Not saying The Atlanta is anything great, just decent value for Sukhumvit under a thou with the added bonus of a well-kept pool and garden and very good coffeeshop. But in the Khao San area you'll get better value in that rate range, IMO. The Atlanta does offer an alternative for budget visitors who want to stay in the Suk area but who might be put off by the prevalence of sex tourists in many of the lower-priced hotels located between Soi 1 and Asok, e.g., solo women on their first trip to Bkk. If I were visiting the city (I live here) and couldn't afford Suk hotels in, say, the 1500-2000 range, I'd have to choose the Atlanta or head for Khao San since the alternatives in the Suk area are either more expensive or not as good value. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Edited by wayfarer108