The Loudspeakers

kalasin

I love most things about Issan. I hate the loudspeakers.

Am I the only one? In the morning. The same songs. Every day. :D

Why are the there? Really why??? :o

All viliges have loud speakers, of which the Puhyai Baan plays music first to wake you up, and then tells you the news of the day.

If you live in a village most people go to sleep early and wake up early. That's why I live in the city.

Barry

Phuyai Baan likes playing DJ. In the days before every house had televison and mobile phones the idea was that 'offical' notices were distributed to the Phuyai Baan who would then read out messages to the rural population; next Thursday is a public holiday (for farmers?), please pay your taxes, Mrs Somchai has had a new baby, Lek wants to sell a kitten. Then as Phuyai Baans became defacto local money lenders and the 'bank' - the messages included 'requests' to pay their owed money on time.

Then they started reading out newspapers, and progressed (?) to playing music that they like because they can.

Megalomania ?

Edited by Cuban

I Absolutely love the LOUDSPEAKERS.....if only they would turn them up a little bit, I'm a little hard of hearing & it annoys me trying to listen in! Thank goodness I don't live in some dull western society where the twits complain regularly at the drop of a noisy hat :o

The loud speakers came on last Thursday here in the village. We live about 1/2 kilo from the village chief.

My wife listened and the big cheese announced her father's name and said he should come by the next day with his ID card and house papers to collect 1,500 baht. She immediately called him to announce the good news.

I never did fully understand why he got the money. Probably something to do with an election. :o

Kalasin,

I live in town and experience this intrusion as well. I believe the only reason for it is it's a tradition and been done since 19... or 25.... . I doubt there has been post announcement surveys done to see if anybody actually listens or just do their best to filter out the noise.

In today's information and media rich world it seems very unnecessary, especially in town. People can get the news from TV, radio, newspapers and Internet.

I can maybe see it needed out in villages that don't have access to a lot of technology and media but definitely not needed in town. It usually occurs 7am or 6pm. While trying to sleep suddenly loud music comes blaring in through the bedroom window. In the evenings just sit down to dinner with the wife and can't have a nice conversation without yelling to be heard. Obviously the announcer doesn't have to listen so he or she isn't bothered by the intrusion.

It brings back flashbacks to military training in a mock up pow camp using loudspeakers to retrain the brain with propaganda. I don't think it will end anytime soon unless the people rise up to demand an end. Many Thai people complain on webboards and forums but never to the officials who can stop it.

There is no logic or reasoning or research to see if this method is still valid and relevant so for now just one of the things we must endure to live where we have chosen to live. It seems to be the same thinking as the pickups with billboards and loudspeakers driving around advertising and marketing, or campaigning. I would think it is somewhat of a waste as many people just seem to filter it out as noise.

I live in a small village near Pak Chong (Issan) and though I've seen the speaker towers I've never heard a peep from them. Puu Yai Baan here is Mr Invisible until near re-election time. If he would fix the pot holes (read: bomb craters) in the road I'd even vote for the bludger. Thinking of trading in the Honda Dream and getting a motor-cross bike.

I live in a small village near Pak Chong (Issan) and though I've seen the speaker towers I've never heard a peep from them. Puu Yai Baan here is Mr Invisible until near re-election time. If he would fix the pot holes (read: bomb craters) in the road I'd even vote for the bludger. Thinking of trading in the Honda Dream and getting a motor-cross bike.

That is an ace idea....perfect way to blast into town soaking up all the bumps, I would love to be riding around on a YZ250, heaps of fun & no need to stick to the goat track roads they provide you with either. :o