Oranges In Mai Sai

Ajarn

A couple of weeks ago in another thread I mentioned these delicious oranges from Burma, and periodically sold in Mae Sai, but still rare. Well, I found some few days ago. 35 baht per kilo (20 baht last year this time)

I think it's technically a tangerine because of the thick loose skin, but locally they're called "Som juud" which implies a lack of sweetness- certainly a misnomer in this case.

On the left is Som Juud. On the right is Som Sai Naam Pung (another tangerine, 15-35 per kilo in CM, 15 baht in Mai Sai)

(note the green leaf- most of the ones I saw for sale had this leaf attached.

orange1.jpg

Both have relatively thick and loose skins, making them much easier to open than Som Kio Waan, in comparison ...

orange2.jpg

I much prefer the Som Juud because it has few seeds, is nicely sweet and flavorable (In a taste-test with these two, the Som Juud was clearly sweeter and had more flavor than the Som Sai Naam Pung, but I think I might have picked a bad Som Sai Naam Pung this time) and it peels super easy and fast with one hand...

Also, in Chiang Saen, the Chinese apples are in abundance, along with Mali Waan and others.. Box prices (approx 8 kilos) run from 125-180 per box (around 4 baht each?), depending on your bargaining skills... Bargain hard, for with so many sellers there, they don't sell many boxes each. 10 boxes on a decent day I was told, though only 3 boxes for this particular seller by 4pm that day. I made her day by buying 35 boxes... :o

apple1.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

They look like the tangello we used to get in New Zealand. More juice in them than two regular tangerines.

Great on a hot day, and its nice to find something Burmese that's edible.  :o

cv

Oh I don't know...... I found something Burmese very very edible..... heh, heh. heh :D:D

And Ajarn 35 Boxes !!!! Man where is your shop??? I want to come and buy some or are you trying to corner the market ???? They are great though.

They look like the tangello we used to get in New Zealand. More juice in them than two regular tangerines.

Great on a hot day, and its nice to find something Burmese that's edible.  :D

cv

Oh I don't know...... I found something Burmese very very edible..... heh, heh. heh :D:D

And Ajarn 35 Boxes !!!! Man where is your shop??? I want to come and buy some or are you trying to corner the market ???? They are great though.

nice to find something Burmese that's edible

I had a response to that 'bait', too, but the 'good ajarn' side in me just wouldn't let me. :o

Most of the apples were New Years gifts to some schools and orphanges in the area.

I'm in the Chiang Saen area fairly often, since it's always a great driving outing for a day. I'd be happy to pick you up some at cost if you want to place an order. Another excuse to go back and get some more oranges, even at 35 baht per kilo :D

Edited by Ajarn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great job with the pictures...

skycop :D

A couple of weeks ago in another thread I mentioned these delicious oranges from Burma, and periodically sold in Mae Sai, but still rare. Well, I found some few days ago. 35 baht per kilo (20 baht last year this time)

I think it's technically a tangerine because of the thick loose skin, but locally they're called "Som juud" which implies a lack of sweetness- certainly a misnomer in this case.

On the left is Som Juud. On the right is Som Sai Naam Pung (another tangerine, 15-35 per kilo in CM, 15 baht in Mai Sai)

(note the green leaf- most of the ones I saw for sale had this leaf attached.

orange1.jpg

Both have relatively thick and loose skins, making them much easier to open than Som Kio Waan, in comparison ...

orange2.jpg

I much prefer the Som Juud because it has few seeds, is nicely sweet and flavorable (In a taste-test with these two, the Som Juud was clearly sweeter and had more flavor than the Som Sai Naam Pung, but I think I might have picked a bad Som Sai Naam Pung this time) and it peels super easy and fast with one hand...

Also, in Chiang Saen, the Chinese apples are in abundance, along with Mali Waan and others.. Box prices (approx 8 kilos) run from 125-180 per box (around 4 baht each?), depending on your bargaining skills... Bargain hard, for with so many sellers there, they don't sell many boxes each. 10 boxes on a decent day I was told, though only 3 boxes for this particular seller by 4pm that day. I made her day by buying 35 boxes... :o

apple1.jpg

Yep

Looks just like a tangerine. At least thats what we call them at home.

The reason for the green leaf, IMHO, is to emphasize that the stem is still attached to the fruit, like avos etc. they stay fresh much longer w/ the stem.

Im going to keep an eye out for them. I always get strawberries when in that neighborhood, and like you, give them as gifts after I take my LITTLE portion. But 3.5 killos is a big haul for me cant imagine 35 boxs.

Do you have a full size US pickup? 3/4 ton perhaps? Id love to see it. I miss mine, especially when "they" play chicken on the highway.

I have never seen a "real" truck in LOS.

Thanks

I was a little amused by your "real truck" statement. In the US I had a half ton Dodge and it was on the axle with a thousand pounds on it. I had to have a 3/4 ton to haul a 1,200 pound slide in camper. Here they have REAL trucks. I have developed a lot of respect for these small Japanese trucks. I have a Nissan and had twenty 50 kilo bags of cement on it. That's 2200 pounds and it carried it well. That would be a LOT of oranges. LOL!

Gary A

Your absolutly right. The Japanese make great trucks and cars, Bikes too.

In the 70s I bought my 1st "foriegn" truck, a Toyota. Loved it and all the subsequent ones.

But on the road I love my Chevy 3/4 ton. Up high where you can see, less worry about altercations with other cars, trees ,poles or whatever jumps in front of you. And loads of power. It can pass anthing except a gas station.

Same with Bikes, 1st Honda 350 in the 70's, and the Yamaha's and other Hondas since, never gave a problem. Like Nippon cars/trucks, just add gas, oil and occasionally water and air.

But.....

Id rather ride my Harley and drive my Chevy Truck.

Go figger.