New Business Venture In Pattaya For Thai Wife

syd barrett

I am sick and tired of the Mrs. lying around all day watching useless soaps and comedy programmes on Thai Television Channels.

I really need to get her motivated to start some simple business.

So I have this new idea to buy a wooden handcart, with some hot cooking surface, so she can stroll around the busy streets of Pattaya in the evening and sell sausages, chicken legs, etc. etc.

I have an idea to decorate the handcart with flags and colourful pomm-pomms just like the glitter man on the bike. And I also have the idea to sell lucky tips in envelopes for the next (bi-monthly) lottery.

Plus, I have an idea to offer a Thai-English translation service. (written). The Mrs. speaks good Thai and English, and I do the writing into Thai, in my spare time. Plus as an extra bonus, I have a great idea to sell PG-Tips Tea Bags and cans of Boddingtons bitter on this hand cart as well. Which farangs would love.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. What do you think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cart is a good idea but use it to sell Thai brooms and feather dusters. Pushing it around for ten or twelve hours a day will help keep her weight down. She would never sell the lucky lottery numbers to anyone. She would use them herself. Let her keep a third of the huge profits and use the rest for beer for you. Take her phone away so she does not waste time in idle conversation. Recruit more girls, buy more carts, and start a new empire. Great idea and I can see you being famous some day.

I think the Food cart is a great idea, but there are loads of Sausages & Chicken legs Food stalls around already, why dont you add some English pies or some Hot Dog sausages in Bread Rolls with mustard or ketchup, I think the English Guys coming out of Bars hungry would buy them. When i say Hot Dogs in Bread Rolls, i dont mean these cheap horrible ones in sweet bread, i mean decent ones in nice English style bread rolls with perhaps a few onions on top - yummy.....

Making my mouth water thinking about it - good luck whatever you decide.

Edited by pattaya_girl

Think you could attach the brooms to the cart so she could give the roads a clean at the same time.

Not a good idea. :D

Now why don’t you invest a bit more money ( not the 15,000 baht) that lot would cost

and pushing a hand cart is a bit dangerous, (don’t you love her)

Now lets say 1 million and give her a real business to try and run, (don’t do a bar).

A fixed hot dog / Burger bar is not a bad idea in the right location.

Pay attention to the quality of the food. And don’t employ any friends, as they wont be friends for long. :o

Good luck. :D

It’s all down to you giving guidance. and not running it yourself.

Because it’s not her business then, is it. (face gone time for her). :D

Besides is it not better, to let her earn some money whilst you go out, play golf, have a few beers, do any thing else that goes.

What you think? :o

Not seen a busy one yet, not with a continual line of people like you get at burger bars in the UK. Look at the one outside the Stags Head, prime position and empty, not worth a carrot, same as the other 2 only a few seconds walk. Good position means beach road means big rent means no profit. Something that moves like a cart or bike with sidecar means no rent at least she will have half a chance of making a living.

You clearly don't understand your wife and why she married you??? It was so she could watch TV and spend your money. If you set up such a venture, then she would either:

1. Employ someone to run the cart bought by you and send the profits (if any and not eaten) to the village.

or

2. Sell the cart and send the money to the village.

or

3. Leave the cart outside your home and suggest you walk the streets!

Not seen a busy one yet, not with a continual line of people like you get at burger bars in the UK. Look at the one outside the Stags Head, prime position and empty, not worth a carrot, same as the other 2 only a few seconds walk. Good position means beach road means big rent means no profit. Something that moves like a cart or bike with sidecar means no rent at least she will have half a chance of making a living.

Newbie :o:D:D

Hand cart / motor bike business selling burgers.

That’s a sure winner.

Now im off to open the first beer of the day, you made me laugh so much. :D:wai::D:P :jerk:

Rather than paying to set up a business why don't you talk about study and then she may find a course she is interested in and want you to pay for her to do that. It's a win / win:

1) She will think it's her idea so will be much more motivated to do it

2) The course will make her more employable and she may oneday be able to get a job doing something she enjoys. Or, if it was a small business course then she'd be in a good position to run a small business in the future and understand the potential risks and returns involved.

Rather than paying to set up a business why don't you talk about study and then she may find a course she is interested in and want you to pay for her to do that. It's a win / win:

2) The course will make her more employable and she may oneday be able to get a job doing something she enjoys. Or, if it was a small business course then she'd be in a good position to run a small business in the future and understand the potential risks and returns involved.

Then you still pay for the business latter , yes :o

I congratulate you for thinking about breaking the soapy cycle and lounge lizard mentality, however try something a little unique but on the same track.

Why not a converted kombi van and sell something a bit out of the ordinary, pies, mushy peas and Boddingtons and a couple of your typical post pub curries. bratwurst sausages in rolls etc

Make it stand out a bit and good luck...the sooner your missus learns to micro manage her own economy the better off you both will be.

Chok Dee Khup

Then you still pay for the business latter , yes :o

Not necessarily. It may lead to a job working for someone else or it may lead to a business plan for a business you would decide whether or not to invest in. Either way you have a much higher likelihood of getting a return on your investment.

I think the point is to give his gf something productive to do and not just throw money away.

Plasticpig - Would you prefer to invest 100 in something with a high likelihood of not getting any return or invest 200 with a high likelihood of return?

Back to your coffee and paper plasticpig :D

haha i love these monthly threads

why dont you just put her back in the bar you bought her from

freeze the money you give her,kick her up the backside,tell her to go and get a job!

Yeah, that's the way to do it. She will be back in the bar very next day :o

For me it would be simple: don't do business with my wife or GF, means:

Let her find a whatever job, let her make some money so she can open and run her own business. You can support her with the usual living costs (which you do anyway I guess) so she can have her full salary for herself which may speed up things a little bit. It should be possible to have open talks with your partner about that. Do some realistic planning, not just some trial & error (I have a good idea, but no plan...).

Beside from that: I like the cart idea...

Good Luck!

:o

I tried this but GF still does not have a job after four different schools. Says she didn't want to work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a weeks for 6-8 k.

Finally went to work at airport as meet/greet staff for travel agency making 15k to start. Still has six day week but only works 3-6 hours a day depending on flights. Says she found something she enjoys. I think its because she only works a few hours everyday.

I tried this but GF still does not have a job after four different schools. Says she didn't want to work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a weeks for 6-8 k.

Finally went to work at airport as meet/greet staff for travel agency making 15k to start. Still has six day week but only works 3-6 hours a day depending on flights. Says she found something she enjoys. I think its because she only works a few hours everyday.

You understand the Thais.

Good luck to you and your wife. :o

Not directed at you ball breaker

I Have one question for you lot.

Why do the Thai Chinese have all the good businesses and money in Thailand?

I know why do you? :D

I Have one question for you lot.

Why do the Thai Chinese have all the good businesses and money in Thailand?

I know why do you? ohmy.gif

Come on don't keep us in suspense!!

Is it something to do with actually putting in the effort and hard work to make a success? Is it actually thinking through a realistic business plan before taking the plunge?

Is it having mafia backing?

Cmon let us know

Though tongue in cheek from the OP I do understand the need to have them do something otherwise they just vegetate. However, guys must realise that most jobs or businesses consume more of their partner's time than they would want.

That is exactly the rub right there. My wife has talked about finding something to do in the village, but has just that concern..."no time for you".

For the cart to be successful and make any money, it would probably be 12-14 hour/day deal. Give her another 7-8 hours to sleep, that does not leave much discretionary time.

Be careful what you ask for...