Sim Cards

ladybiker

I don't know the name of the shop, but when I was in Thailand last year, there was a small mini mart type of place near where you go out to get in the taxi line (more like across the hall from the doors going outside). They sell drinks and snacks mostly. I gave them my phone and they installed it, added the minutes and I was making a local phone call while I waited for a taxi.

Can anyone tell me which shop [if any] I can buy a new sim card from when I arrive at the airport.

When you exit the baggage area, you will be right in a small semi-outdoor shoppping area: coffee, magazines, TWO cell phone SIM vendors, etc. Tell the Transportation people you want to delay hopping in your taxi, and walk over and get a coffee, light up that first smoke. Head to the cell phone desk of choice and hand over your phone, tell them you want the tourist SIM. Watch as they install and jabber about the feaures. Write down your number, or better, save it in your phone under your own name (so you can find it quickly to hand over to Thai contacts). If you need all the internet stuff stand and figure that out, otherwise head back to the taxi area.

When you land at the hotel, save their number and the number of any reliable taxi drivers you like. These can be invaluable.

The cheap SIM will have enough time for most people's holiday calls. Additional scratcher cards are available at any 7-11, or similar.

Edited by OldenAtwoody

Can anyone tell me which shop [if any] I can buy a new sim card from when I arrive at the airport.

hi

Once you are in Thai Airport, look for chain store, like 7- eleven or homemart etc.. there you can find sim card, now a day many there are promotion going on, hence do not forget to ask the sale girl /boy about the same.

regds

sam

Edited by sanjaymahanty

AIS at the arrival hall. You won't miss it. Only 99 Baht (with some free credit). Not sure, but I think DTAC has a counter too. If you fly Thai AirAsia, they sell in on the plane as well (True move inter sim, with cheap VOIP).

Outside the airport, just go to any 7-Elevan.

Edited by samgrowth

AIS at the arrival hall. You won't miss it. Only 99 Baht (with some free credit).

I definitely wouldn't pay any more than that. I bought a SIM in a shopping area near DM and it was only 50b for the SIM. AIS/1-2-Go top up cards can be bought in 100b, 300b and possibly other increments.

When you exit the baggage area, you will be right in a small semi-outdoor shoppping area: coffee, magazines, TWO cell phone SIM vendors, etc. Tell the Transportation people you want to delay hopping in your taxi, and walk over and get a coffee, light up that first smoke. Head to the cell phone desk of choice and hand over your phone, tell them you want the tourist SIM. Watch as they install and jabber about the feaures. Write down your number, or better, save it in your phone under your own name (so you can find it quickly to hand over to Thai contacts). If you need all the internet stuff stand and figure that out, otherwise head back to the taxi area.

When you land at the hotel, save their number and the number of any reliable taxi drivers you like. These can be invaluable.

The cheap SIM will have enough time for most people's holiday calls. Additional scratcher cards are available at any 7-11, or similar.

This is great information!

I usually waited until I wandered into Pantip to get mine (pantip is usually a first stop for me, depending on my arrival time)

Today until 30-Apr-2009. Dine 300 Baht at the airport, and get a SIM card FREE.

You should see a yellow sign on this offers infront of most (if not all) air-side resturant advertising this.

http://www.truecorp.co.th/eng/promotion/pr...e_kingpower.jsp

This Inter SIM package is only worth 49 Baht if bought outside, so don't kill yourself if you miss this.

It comes with an instruction to make VOIP call for as low as 1 Baht/min to a few countries like USA.

See here for more details.

http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/tm_sim_inter.htm