Do Not Protest If You Are Patriotic

Mai Krap

UDD asked not to obstruct summmit

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 21/02/2009 at 12:03 PM

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Saturday called on the Thais who are patriotic not to obstruct Thailand's hosting of Asean summit.

"The event will benefit Thailand because it will bring good image of Thailand to the world," Mr Suthep said. "So I would like to ask for cooperations from all the Thais."

Police, soldiers and volunteers from both public and private sectors will join hands in maintaining peace and order during the 14th Asean summit, which will begin from February 27 to March 1, he said.

According to the deputy prime minister, the government has not set up special command unit to monitor the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) rallies planned to be held in Hua Hin where the summit will take place.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Saturday called on the Thais who are patriotic not to obstruct Thailand's hosting of Asean summit.

Let me preface by saying I've been a cynic of governments in general ever since I was put on Nixon's 'defecation roster.' And let's admit it's been a less than stellar year here (insert whatever smilie you think appropriate). But still... I'm really happily taken aback by a measured call for cooperation from a very high-ranking public official *well in advance* of the Asean summit. Imnsho, this is a very positive move, and I hope it is listened to.

***Rose-coloured glasses off now***

people do and will protest to defend their rights. Governments do and will try to stop any dissent, because it undermines their ruling position.

Let's do leave patriotism to nationalists and those loaded to the brim with money, who use nationalism as a way of controlling the population. Common people don't have anything to do with the class interests of the government

A public warning, I am not going to edit Bangkok Post articles quoted at length anymore. They will be deleted with no warning and no PM. The members posting full length Bangkok Post articles are well aware of the restrictions regarding posting and should not need to be told yet again to follow this request.

To those who are unaware. The Bangkok Post does not allow us to quote the entire article, but rather the first three sentences and a link. Also, if you are going to post a news article please do not editorialize within that post but in a new post so that there is no confusion regarding content. And please do not edit the article in anyway with font changes, either in size or color for emphasis. Instead, quote the relevant bit in the next post and editorialize from there.

Policy-implementing thread