How To 'size' A Pump For Garden Feature

simon43

I want to add a small water feature at my hotel swimming pool whereby some water is sucked out of the pool and dropped back into the pool from a height of about 2 metres, making a cooling waterfall.

So I need a pump to perform this work.

How do I calculate the parameters of this pump? The height to 'suck' the water will be only a few cm (if the pump is resting on the ground. Then the height to raise the water will be 2 meters. What about the size of the tubing to use? Would it be possible to buy a solar-powered pump to perform this task, or would it only provide a small trickle of water?

Thanks for advice

Simon

Two meters is not a lot for a decent pump. Tell the man in the shop that sells pumps how much lift you require, he will point you at one and if I remember correctly you can then check the 'maximum head' on a plate on the side of the pump. The pump will tell you the size of the tubing to use by the size of the pump outlet.

For what it's worth my experience with waterfalls and pumps here, is that centrifugal pumps are real pain because even with check valves they keep emptying the pipe and the impeller housing every time you turn them off. They then need to be primed . Stick with a submersible pump, trouble free and works every time you turn it on without priming. You should be able to get a good one for around 3500 that will easily give you 2 meters.

Edited by Rimmer

The words 'hotel' and 'swimming pool' open a whole can of worms.

You must not use a regular 220V submersible pump in the pool where people bathe, the danger of zapping your guests before they pay their bill is too great. We REALLY don't want to hear another 'Tourist electrocuted in hotel pool' story :o

Can you run your feature off the existing pool circulation pump? Likely to be the most cost-effective solution even if you have to buy more pipe.

If not you'll need a pump that can be remote from the pool, properly grounded and housed along with all the electrics in a lockable enclosure.

EDIT This may be useful http://www.prosperityfountain.com/swimming...waterfalls.html click on each feature for dimensions and pump sizes.

Don't forget inlet baffles as shown on the above sites installation guide.

To size the pump you need to know roughly how much water volume will be going over your fall. The features shown range from 20-60 gallons per minute, you're looking at a 1/4-1/2 horse (175-350Watt) pump.

Edited by Crossy

No one would put a 220v submersible pump inside a swimming pool would they? ................. :D

Would they??? Yep I s'pose they might :o

How's that wall coming on at your place?

No one would put a 220v submersible pump inside a swimming pool would they? ................. :D

Would they??? Yep I s'pose they might :o

How's that wall coming on at your place?

Sadly, they would (there was a thread in the swimming pool forum, not a hotel though). :D

Wall is progressing, the Missus is snapping loads of piccies so once I escape from India I'll update. Does seem to be taking longer than the promised 3 weeks though. :D

Edited by Crossy