Low Lifes On Benifits Populating Pattaya

misterman21

Overhearing a conversation or two over recent months I have become aware that many Brits residing in Pattaya are actually claiming invalidity benifit from the Uk. Doesn't sound right - considering that to claim such benifit they are supposedly unfit for work, yet they are obviously fit to travel long haul and holiday.

surely this cant be legal?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overhearing a conversation or two over recent months I have become aware that many Brits residing in Pattaya are actually claiming invalidity benifit from the Uk. Doesn't sound right - considering that to claim such benifit they are supposedly unfit for work, yet they are obviously fit to travel long haul and holiday.

Back under your bridge.

Back under your bridge.

This is not a troll - if you think so then you are quite blinkered

If they reside in Pattaya, they're not on holiday, are they. Not all disabilities preclude air travel. Even wheelchair bound people are capable of traveling on a plane.

That would depend on the disability.However governments have long been trying to catch false recipients of disability pensions. :o But there are so many legit reasons for pensions,one cannot tell just by looking,why some people are on them. :D

If they reside in Pattaya, they're not on holiday, are they. Not all disabilities preclude air travel. Even wheelchair bound people are capable of traveling on a plane.

When claiming that you are unfit for work then by definition you should not be able to travel long haul - if you could then by definition there are many jobs you could do

If it bothers you that much, why don't you ask them? Then stand back and listen to the answers. Then crawl under your rock and ponder why you have no friends.

Or you could always report them if it bothers you that much

When claiming that you are unfit for work then by definition you should not be able to travel long haul - if you could then by definition there are many jobs you could do

Sure,but would anybody actually employ you?I wouldn't employ a disabled/injured/sick person because the law's very specific...If you employ a person as such,you are liable for any further injury/inflammation of the already existing ailment(Australia)and as such can and will be open for suite.In other words,you know about the illness/injury......You employ them,you wear it! :o

Whose definition? Please elaborate. Are you related to Norman Tebbit?

If it bothers you that much, why don't you ask them? Then stand back and listen to the answers. Then crawl under your rock and ponder why you have no friends.

I will find out by direct enquiry to the DHSS thanks - touchy subject for some I guess. I just feel personally that their are too may lazy useless nutters claiming invalidity whilst pissing it up in Patts.

PS i have enough friends thanks.

I will find out by direct enquiry to the DHSS thanks - touchy subject for some I guess. I just feel personally that their are too may lazy useless nutters claiming invalidity whilst pissing it up in Patts.

And i would suggest that it is probably so,but you cannot tar all with the same brush. :o

By definition even people in a wheel chair can work. Ok their are genuine cases - but I think Pattaya would benifit by getting rid of the cheap charlie shirkers living off invalidity when they are cabable of working.

While in Chang Mai I have been seing a lot of young men with disabilities, (missing limbs). I figure they are men comming back from a way that is hard to justify, & they are trying their best to put their life back together.

I wish them luck

By definition even people in a wheel chair can work. Ok their are genuine cases - but I think Pattaya would benifit by getting rid of the cheap charlie shirkers living off invalidity when they are cabable of working.

Flame deleted. Mario2008.

I think it's called Incapacity Benefit now. Information on DSS websites suggests that it can be claimed whilst you're abroad, but you're supposed to tell them.

It's not the same as Jobseekers Allowance, where by definition you're supposed to be available for work and therefore not polishing a barstool in Pattaya.

Deleted quote deleted.

Seems to be a lot of sympathy for this type of person - I think this adds wieght to my observations

I think everyone should report one and thin out the numbers

Reporting benefit theft

dg_076642.jpg Benefit theft cost the country around £800 million in 2005-06. If you think someone is committing benefit theft, you can report them and stop them taking money from the people who need it most.

What is benefit fraud?

Benefit theft is when someone lies to get benefit. This includes people who are:

• not reporting they are now living with a partner
  • not reporting they are receiving other benefits
  • not reporting any savings or not reporting the right amount
  • claiming for children who have left home
  • not reporting they have started work, or started to earn money
  • not reporting they have inherited money
  • not reporting they are going abroad, living abroad, or have changed address

Ways you can report benefit theft

There are three ways you can report benefit theft:

Complete an online form on the Department for Work and Pensions website.

By Telephone

Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Lines are open between 7.00 am and 11.00 pm, 7 days a week. It is free and confidential.

If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512.

By Post

If you would prefer to make your report in writing, you can send information to:

NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP

What information to provide

The law says that there has to be a good reason for investigating someone for benefit theft - so you will need to give as much of the following information as possible:

• the name and address of the person you are reporting and their partner, if they have one
  • a description of the person
  • the type of benefit theft you think they are committing and why you suspect them
  • information about their employer, if you think they are working
  • information about their vehicle, if they have one

You can make an anonymous report

Whether you use the online reporting form, call the hotline, or write a letter, you can choose not to give your contact details if you prefer.

But please bear in mind that it helps if you do so, because the investigation service can get back to you with any questions.

What happens after you report someone?

Benefit theft staff will look at the information you give. If you have given enough information, they will check the person's benefit claim.

The investigation might take some time, and staff aren't allowed to tell you the outcome.

Sometimes no action is taken. It might be that the person has declared the work when claiming and their benefit is not affected by it.

Benefit theft staff will only take action if they find the person has been committing benefit theft. Action can include removing a person's benefits and taking them to court.

How the government is tackling benefit theft

Other things the government is doing to stamp out benefit theft include:

• setting standards for checking Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit claims and giving Local Authorities access to government information
  • requiring more evidence when people apply for a National Insurance number or claim benefits
  • cross checking benefit and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) records to find benefit cheats

More useful links

In this section...

What makes you think that they aren't unfit to work? Would you hire them?

Seems to be a lot of sympathy for this type of person - I think this adds wieght to my observations

I think everyone should report one and thin out the numbers

No sympathy for these parasites but even less for peoples like you.

The words and tone you use are pathetic, now be a good informer and go do your job.

Edited by Tod

Too many scroungers off the welfare system. What many people dp not realise is that people who fake illness and disability in order to claim these benefits are reducing the monies that are available for genuine claimants.

I do not live in Pattaya but am aware of several men fom the UK who are quite capable of working but choose not to and cheat the system in order to fund their bar crawling there.

Some of them even have Thai wives in the UK who are working there and claiming everything available whilst working cash in hand.

I now treat all such people as scum and refuse to associate with them and if we all did the same then maybe the situation would change

I know of one young man living in BKK who also frequents Pattaya from time to time. He's been on benefits for a number of years though I would never consider him a low life. He on a medical discharge with pension from the army for injuries received whilst serving his country. Let's not tar everyone with the same brush....

Such people are allowed to go on holidays. They are allowed to drive cars, go to the shop, go to the pub, have sex. They are not prisoners chained to the house. They are allowed a life.

In many cases some do not look sick but how do you know what is wrong with them? Bad heart? Terminal illness? Many people think that if someone does not have a leg, arm or whatever missing, they cannot be disabled, that they look fit.

The government in the UK is very strict on giving out Disability. A friend of mine had a breast removed and numerous nodes under her armpit. On chemotherapy and the rest, she had to fight 2 appeals with the aid of her McMillan (spelling) cancer nurse to get her Disability allowance.

Maybe the Op ought to think himself lucky he is not in their situation and let others live a little before they die???

Such people are allowed to go on holidays. They are allowed to drive cars, go to the shop, go to the pub, have sex. They are not prisoners chained to the house. They are allowed a life.

In many cases some do not look sick but how do you know what is wrong with them? Bad heart? Terminal illness? Many people think that if someone does not have a leg, arm or whatever missing, they cannot be disabled, that they look fit.

The government in the UK is very strict on giving out Disability. A friend of mine had a breast removed and numerous nodes under her armpit. On chemotherapy and the rest, she had to fight 2 appeals with the aid of her McMillan (spelling) cancer nurse to get her Disability allowance.

Maybe the Op ought to think himself lucky he is not in their situation and let others live a little before they die???

Genuine sick and invalid individuals deserve all the help and care possible! Not my point - i refer to those fit enough to work but staying long term in thailand on benifits. A lot of protests and support from posters :o

Sick people - genuine sick people - are not an issue. I refer to the piss heads quite capable of a days work. Not that their is much about at the moment to be fair :D

I'm onboard with the idea of shopping cheats, sorry if my morals offend.

Edited by chiang mai

I've been thinking long and hard about how to respond to this. Here goes: sir, I take great umbrage at your generalized statement. I have been on disability for close to 15 years; 10 years ago I was told I had less than a year to live. But if you looked at me, you would say I looked the picture of health, and had no right to receive disability payments. But while I may look the picture of health, I live on borrowed time; no one would dare hire me (it's bad for business to have an employee drop dead when dealing with a customer, for instance); and yet I have been fortunate to have been graced with the ability to travel - but I always specify the seat next to the defibrillator. Sure, I've polished a bar stool with friends for an hour or two - drinking soda water, cuz alcohol will stop the meds from working. But I still laugh and have a great time, just like I'd been drinking. Three weeks ago it was another emergency trip to the hospital; the last one had been almost a year before.

If by chance a small number of the people you see are on disability benefits without medical necessity, then I agree with you - about those people. But be careful about listening to conversations; I've had more than a few in public about how well off we are being on disability - and we're all being facetious. I'm living on 80% of my after-tax income from 1988 - with no index for inflation, thank you very much. Can't afford to live in my home country, can no longer afford to be in my adopted country. So with a favourable exchange rate, I'm in Thailand. Love it or leave it, it's by economic necessity that I'm here - and I will do anything I can to make it a pleasant experience.

Yes, I've kept all the appropriate governmental agencies apprized of my every move.

Live each day as if it were your last, my friend. Someday, it will be. Or, maybe you'll be lucky and just have to draw a disability pension.

Que sera, sera!

Not only Brits. I've met French and Swedish ex-pats on state benefits living in Thailand.

Why attempt to even pre-judge them? Some might have legitimate claims.

Like the Swede, I knew, who got a dagger through his neck in Bosnia. He couldn't work and was so totally fuc_ked up he eventually took his own life in Maesai.

If they don't have legitimate claims, life is too short to worry about petty fraud. There's far worse going on in the world.

In most western countries, it is illegal to discriminate against a job seeker based upon that person's disability. In countries like the USA and Canada, there are provisions given under the applicable workers compensation acts to address "second injury" risks, so that the risk of employing the disabled is not borne by the employer. I assume similar provisions exist in the EU. It may surprise some, but one of the most reliable worker segments are the disabled. For many of them, a job represents normalcy and carries more importance than for the able bodied. Simply put, the gimp is more likely to show up for work and take the job seriously. So please don't blur the boundaries between the fakers and the truly disabled.

Fakers should be reported whenever possible. They are aren't just stealing your money. but are hurting the disabled as well, because their presence on the dole denies better benefits to those truly in need.

"Seems to be a lot of sympathy for this type of person - I think this adds wieght to my observations

I think everyone should report one and thin out the numbers"

Get a life, who's to say who a faker is and who isn't. You cant just look at someone and tell. I have friends who are crazy, certifiably crazy. Me and another friend of mine caught one of them having sex with his dog once. They receive government aid in USA. If you looked at him, you would figure he is perfectly healthy and able to work a job, but put him on a job and see what he does. With so many causes in the world you could join to make the world a better place, this is the most least effective one.

Edited by ConfusedFarang