Need To Upgrade My Adsl Connection

simon43

I currently have the Silvercyber package from TOT for about 700 baht per month. When I originally signed up for this package a couple of years ago, I was getting decent connection/download speeds.

Alas, no more :o It's got slower and slower as (presumably), new subscribers have come on board and the contention raio is no longer acceptable.

I just did a speedtest and got 887 kb/s download and 449 kb/s upload. That doesn't sound too bad (for Thailand!), but it's often much worse.

I am very wary of upgrading to 'goldercyber' or whatever TOT upgrade package is offered because (being rather cynical), I suspect that I will end up paying a higher subscription price for the same speeds....

What are my options to get a faster internet connection? I'm located right by Phuket Airport.

Thanks

Simon

Check out this link

http://live-access.com/PhuketInternet.aspx

It was set up by K. Woody and is honestly reported by members who want to participate.

you can check what sort of real world speeds you will receive with what service.

I forgot to mention that the server tests are done to a San Francisco server so you get a 'real world' speed test and not just an inflated test result to BKK

I forgot to mention that the server tests are done to a San Francisco server so you get a 'real world' speed test and not just an inflated test result to BKK

Strangely, my "real world" test to SF (above) showed a better download speed than to Bangkok!

Strangely, my "real world" test to SF (above) showed a better download speed than to Bangkok!

That is strange, but good on you. i wish I could get TT&T in my area

Can you get a TT&T line.. If so maxnet premier is best bang for buck..

What's the difference between Maxnet Indy and Maxnet Premier (other than upload speed)?

We were at the TT&T office the other day checking into getting a line installed, and the guy was telling me that the Premier package is better for accessing international sites. Both the Indy and Premier packages have the same download speed, but the upload speed for Premier is double that of the Indy package (in theory, anyway) and the price is twice as much.

Is TT&T throttling the connection to the international backbone for Indy subscribers more than they do for Premier subscribers?

We switched from Indy to Premier 2 Meg. Indy is good, offering very high download speed .. at times almost 4 Megs, but as you can share with up to 100 other users, the speed can get bogged down later in the day. Premier is very stable throughout the day. I think you share with up to 10 other users. Runs about 1.7 Megs at day/night. I find little difference with the upload speed. Both about 370 - 410 K to San Francisco tester. To Bangkok Premier much the same download speed (1.7 M) but upload is about 850 K. For the extra 59 baht/month for Premium, well worth the money.

P.S. forgot to say that the Premium seems to access (ping time) international sites much quicker than Indy.

Edited by LivinginKata

Yes maxnet premier is all about contention.. I must admit I am surprised by those indy numbers tho as when I tested on a mates line he was getting AWFUL daytime and evening numbers and full speed night time and early morning numbers.. Perhaps Jetset has not many users on his local loop ??

I get a solid 1.8 - 2mbit day or night.. I only have the cheapo 1090 2mbit premier package. So thats slower than peak indy of the same value it seems but never drops low or has reliability issues.

Thanks Alex. So it seems that the difference is a combination of local bandwidth sharing, and flow control to/from the international backbone. Makes sense.

... For the extra 59 baht/month for Premium, well worth the money.

P.S. forgot to say that the Premium seems to access (ping time) international sites much quicker than Indy.

Did you mean for an extra 590 baht/month instead of 59 baht/month? The new price list I have shows 2MB Indy at 631.30 baht, and 2MB Premier at 1166.30, a difference of 535 baht/mo.

Did you mean for an extra 590 baht/month instead of 59 baht/month? The new price list I have shows 2MB Indy at 631.30 baht, and 2MB Premier at 1166.30, a difference of 535 baht/mo.

Dave, I had the 1,000 baht + vat Indy package which was like 1 Meg when I ordered it then over time it was upgraded to 4 Meg. But the service quality (speed wise) & latency went downhill.... badly.

I changed to Premium 2 Meg for 1,090 baht. So that's 59 baht more + vat = about 149 baht more. For me it's not worth quibbling about a few baht. And got stable speed and better latency.

I'm seriously considering moving up to Premier 3 Meg, but not sure if it's worth doubling (about) up in price ??

I'm seriously considering moving up to Premier 3 Meg, but not sure if it's worth doubling (about) up in price ??

I am exactly the same and would quite like the bandwidth (a mate took the 4 or 5 mbit recently and gets most of it, so it is there) but I find their pricing system odd. Normally (in a western perspective, the costs of additional bandwidth decrease as you take more.. But here its 1000 for 2 and then an extra 1000 for another 1 ?? It seems a little back to front to me..

...Perhaps Jetset has not many users on his local loop ??...

I'm beginning to think that that is the case too.

...So it seems that the difference is a combination of local bandwidth sharing, and flow control to/from the international backbone. Makes sense...

Re. international bandwidth, I've had some pretty good P2P download speeds too:

gallery_35489_952_40568.jpg

...but they have been the exception rather than the rule. And as I am usually online in the early hours of the morning, I don't get the problem with a busy network.

My sympathies go to business users who need a high speed during the day - "Premier" must be the best option for them, IMO.