Visa For Foriegn Baby

I have a 1 year 6 month old son, and another on the way. Both born/ will be born in Bangkok. We have been told that being born here means that no visa is required until the age of ten. Unfortunatly this sounds very much like heresay to me. Although we have been out of the country with our son a few times, we are having to spend increasingly lengthier times explaining the situation at the airport. Could someone please clarify the situation. We have asked at immigration but they were at a loss, and sent us for\m one desk to another until we were told after over two hours that 'is ok..'

Thanks in advance.

Should have mentioned earlier both my wife and myself are foreigners.

Have you registered your sons birth with your countries embassy and gotten a passport yet?

He should have a visa issued and an extension of stay. There is no charge for an overstay for a child but he should have a visa to enter the country. Dependent on what type of vsia or extension of stay you have he can get one as your dependent.

There are also a few posts on this forum claiming that minors don't need to pay for overstay, basically that they don't need a proper visa to stay in Thailand, no matter where hey were born, as long as they are under 18 I think it was. Thought about it a few minutes but didn't want to go through any kind of explanation on the topic with staff at the airport and got our kid a non im O. It should be very easy if yourself have proper documents to reside in Thailand and will avoid all misunderstanding when you leave or reenter the country.

Thanks for the replies. The reason we're asking is because of the explanations at the airport, and the inability to comprehend that our sons have been born in thailand but niether of us are thai. Anyway will be getting the visa organised through work.

cheers

There are also a few posts on this forum claiming that minors don't need to pay for overstay, basically that they don't need a proper visa to stay in Thailand, no matter where hey were born, as long as they are under 18 I think it was. Thought about it a few minutes but didn't want to go through any kind of explanation on the topic with staff at the airport and got our kid a non im O. It should be very easy if yourself have proper documents to reside in Thailand and will avoid all misunderstanding when you leave or reenter the country.

Children do need a visa, but don't get fined when they are on overstay. If going longer then 30 days, they would need a visa as they airline might refuse to let them board. At immigration itself questions might also be asked.

I thought that a 30 day visa exemption stamp would suffice.

Not sure how you get a visa for a child born in Thailand, who has not yet travelled??

Your embassy may be able to advise when they issue the passport.

If you have a one year extension on your visa, then your children will qualify

as dependants and also get the extension.

You need a re-entry permit, so will they.

...Not sure how you get a visa for a child born in Thailand, who has not yet travelled??...

No visa is needed to leave Thailand. The OP’s problem, as I understand it, was with the airline check-in at airports outside Thailand. That’s where the children need a visa. Once they arrive with a visa in Thailand he can look into the possibility of getting annual extensions of stay for them, if they qualify.

--

Maestro

We are living in Thailand for the foreseeable future and have been here for quite a while already. The problems were only here at SB airport/BKK. Anyway thanks for the advice, visa being processed, it seems work are more capable than I gave them credit for.

You did not mention the nationality of your children nor the departure and destination countries of their journey. Your latest post seems to indicate that your problem was upon departure at Suvanrnabhumi airport in Bangkok, without indication who raised questions, whether the check-in staff or an immigration officer.

Correct information about visa requirements can be found here:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Visa requirements apply equally to adults and children, unless specifically stated otherwise for a particular destination country.

--

Maestro

I have the OP same problem in Koh Samui,

they keep tell me that I do not need a visa for my baby born here in Samui from us (2 farangs).

I do not like the idea to travel without a proper doc. for my baby,

me and my wife have annual extension (I have B with Work P. my wife has O as dependent)

I could travel with my baby and hers Thai birth certificate but this will not help when you fly out other countries,

so I'm thinking to go back to EU in about 7 months, registered my baby in my own country and get

her name on my and my wife passport, so she will be under our visas extension.

Any additional comments is welcome,

tks

Have you registered your sons birth with your countries embassy and gotten a passport yet?

He should have a visa issued and an extension of stay. There is no charge for an overstay for a child but he should have a visa to enter the country. Dependent on what type of vsia or extension of stay you have he can get one as your dependent.

Try carrying the child's birth certificate also....

they keep tell me that I do not need a visa for my baby born here in Samui from us (2 farangs).

me and my wife have annual extension (I have B with Work P. my wife has O as dependent)

I could travel with my baby and hers Thai birth certificate but this will not help when you fly out other countries,

so I'm thinking to go back to EU in about 7 months, registered my baby in my own country and get

tks

Geppis

You didn't register the baby in your home country embassy yet ?? Why ?? they should be able to give you the proper documents without the need to fly to EU. Besides some countries will require the baby to have his own passport (France is one of them) but no particular issue, Thailand will give him a O visa .

Hello

Kids acompanied by parents do not need a visa if the are traveling with the parent under a toerist visa so long they are younger than 12 years

they will need visa if they are traveling alone or if you are traveling on a other means of visa (family reuinion , long term visa) etc etc

these are international agreements and apply almost everywhere around the world (there are some aceptions like america but who is supriced about this!!!)

i travel around a lot with my kid never expirenced any trouble with this

It is becoming increasingly common for children to require their own passports, even from birth (picture taken with mum or dad). I would be checking with my local embassy asap, and ensure the child is registered also asap. Location of birth means little, compared to nationality of the respective parents.

I was once denied access to a flight for my daughter due to the fact that she didn't have her own passport yet, and she was less than 2 at the time and was supposedly able to travel on my passport.

Better safe than sorry I think.

Hello

Kids acompanied by parents do not need a visa if the are traveling with the parent under a toerist visa so long they are younger than 12 years

they will need visa if they are traveling alone or if you are traveling on a other means of visa (family reuinion , long term visa) etc etc

these are international agreements and apply almost everywhere around the world (there are some aceptions like america but who is supriced about this!!!)

i travel around a lot with my kid never expirenced any trouble with this

It depends on the coutry you are from. Once children are eligable for their own passport, they need their own passport and visa to enter Thailand.

yes kids under 12 dont need visa but they do need a passport

It is becoming increasingly common for children to require their own passports, even from birth (picture taken with mum or dad). I would be checking with my local embassy asap, and ensure the child is registered also asap. Location of birth means little, compared to nationality of the respective parents.

I was once denied access to a flight for my daughter due to the fact that she didn't have her own passport yet, and she was less than 2 at the time and was supposedly able to travel on my passport.

Better safe than sorry I think.

yes kids under 12 dont need visa but they do need a passport

A visa for a citizen of what country for travel to what country?

The OP has clarified that his problem was when leaving Bangkok to travel to another country (he never mentioned the nationality of his child nor the destination country)

So, obi1970, please specify the children under 12 of what nationality do not need a visa for travel to what country, and cite the source of the information.

--

Maestro

Hi

I am australian, with a half thai/half aussie baby, born in australia. She has an australian birth certificate and passport, as do I. Her father is a thai national and resident. We are not married, so our child is not elgibile to get a thai birth certificate or passport.

I have a type O visa for thailand, and my baby has nothing. When I was still getting the 60-day tourist visas, I got one for her initially but was told when extending it at phuket immigration for a further 30 days that I didn't need to pay the fee for my baby as they do not charge overstay for children.

This proved correct when i got to phuket airport... i had to go and see the special man who just checked our passports and then signed and stamped my baby's.

On our most recent return to oz was the first time i had exited on the type o visa. As mentioned, my baby has nothing but the free 30 day tourist visa stamp that most countries are entitled to.

Again, we just had to go and see the same special man who just checked our passports, cracked jokes about carting my baby off to prison (she's one!) for overstay, and then signed and stamped her passport. I asked the man at what age would i need to get her own visas etc and he said 15. I clarified that she did not have to pay for any visa until she turns 15 and can stay as long as she likes in thailand and he verified this. I am presuming although this was Phuket international airport, that the rule is the same in bangkok.

Incidentally, there is nothing at all in my or my baby's passport to prove that she is half thai, and while i carry her birth certificate with me no one has ever asked to see it.

Anyway, just thought i'd let you all know my experience in case it helps answer some questions. Basically, i believe if you have the correct visa yourself, your child is free to travel with you without one.

Regards

Melcoe, you have related your experience with exemption from overstay fees and travel without a visa for a young child of Australian nationality travelling to Thailand. The OP, on the other hand, had his visa problem with a child of unnamed nationality travelling from Thailand to an unnamed country, ie the problem was the child's lack for a visa to that other, unnamed country. Your belief that “if you have the correct visa yourself, your child is free to travel with you without one” would appear to apply to travel to Thailand and should not be taken by the readers to apply universally.

--

Maestro

Hi

I am australian, with a half thai/half aussie baby, born in australia. She has an australian birth certificate and passport, as do I. Her father is a thai national and resident. We are not married, so our child is not elgibile to get a thai birth certificate or passport.

The fact that you are not married is not important. When married the law will asume the child is yours, when not married the father has to legitimise the child as yours (state before the law that the child is yours). Since the baby was born in Australia it has to be done under Australian law. You should inquire with an Australian lawyer about how to legitimise the child after the birth, if the child isn't legitimised already.

When legitimised your child has a Thai father and therefor Thai nationality by way of birth.

tks

Geppis

You didn't register the baby in your home country embassy yet ?? Why ?? they should be able to give you the proper documents without the need to fly to EU. Besides some countries will require the baby to have his own passport (France is one of them) but no particular issue, Thailand will give him a O visa .

tks for your comments, I did not register yet beacuse my baby has only 7 days, as far as I know after got some add infos

I should register the baby here in Samui thanks to the birth certificate and with both docs. go to my Embassy in BKK to register

the nationality. After I can fly in and out without problems.