Hello george

Hi,  I would be grateful if you could provide some answers for the following questions about living/working in Thailand.  I'm currently holding a Thai passport, I have been given an indefinate stay in the UK.  I am planning to apply for British Citizienship, though I am told this could take as along as one to three years.  I'm not married, nor I am planning to in the near future.  I am planning to work in Thailand for a year, most definately in Bangkok, and may be even stay on to do some travelling around Thailand afterwards.  Two years would probably be the maximum time I will be staying in Thailand.  

My question is do I need to apply for a Thai national I.D card, if yes how do I apply for one. And can I apply in the UK?

Nationality:Thai

Thanks

Hi Nelly,

I can't answer the question you have about working in Thailand, but a word of warning about your UK status. I don't know if you ultimately wish to return to the UK, but if you do, do not stay outside the country for more than 2 years otherwise you will lose your residency. Also, if you wish to eventually apply for naturalisation as a British citizen you can't have spent more than 90 days per year outside of the UK in the 3 years prior to your application. Therefore, if you spent two years in Thailand you would have to wait another 3 before you could seek naturalisation.

Perhaps the Thai embassy consular section in London can assist with your questions about working in Thailand. One of their primary functions is to assist Thai nationals living in the UK.

Regards,

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse, I really appreciated the info. And now I feel less enthusiastic about living/working plans in Thailand.  Now I wished that I applied for a British citizienship a long time ago.   I dont want to be disrespectful to the Thai embassy in London, though I fear that I am anyway for writing this, but I had a bad previous  experience in dealing with the staff there,  nothing over the top, just mainly on the communication front, and at the time it was a very frustrating experience.   I had lost Thai my passport and at the time  I desperately needed a fast replacement as I was enroling in to uni and needed to prove to the uni admission entry department my UK status.  But, enough of that, thanks very much again for the info, I will just have to review my Thailand plans again.

Nelly...FYI ref resident requirements

Single punters -5 years with bells but not ting song...

Married............3 Years with Scottish Husband.

BN7: Information about naturalisation as a British citizen

British Nationality Act 1981

The Home Secretary may if he thinks fit naturalise a person who meets certain requirements. These are set out in section 6 of...........

A. Requirements

2. The person applying must:

a. be 18 or over;

b. not be of unsound mind;

c. be of good character;

d. have sufficient knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic (see Note 1);

e. intend to have his or her home (or main home if there is more than one) in the United Kingdom. The person applying may, however, live abroad if he or she plans to go into, or continue in Crown service working directly for the Government of the United Kingdom (see Note 2), if he or she plans to work with an international organisation which the United Kingdom is a member of, or work for a company or association established in the United Kingdom ; and

f. meet the residential requirements set out in paragraphs 3 and 4 below; or the requirement described in paragraph 5.

3. The residential requirements are that:************

a. the person applying was in the United Kingdom  at the beginning of the five-year period that ended on the date the application is received;

b. in the five-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 450 days (see Note 4);

c. in the last 12 months of that five-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 90 days;

d. in the last 12 months of that five-year period, his or her stay in the United Kingdom was not subject to any time limit under the immigration laws (see Note 5); and

e. he or she was not, at any time in that five-year period, in the United Kingdom in breach of the immigration laws.

Special circumstances

B. Requirements for a person applying as the husband or wife of a British citizen

d. be married to a British citizen on the date the application is received; and

e. either meet the residential requirements set out in paragraph 7 and 8 below, or be married to a British citizen

7. The residential requirements are that:*********

a. the person applying was in the United Kingdom (3) at the beginning of the three-year period that ended on the date the application is received;

c. in the three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 270 days (see Note 4);

d. in the last 12 months of that three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 90 days; and

e. he or she was not, at any time in that three-year period, in the United Kingdom in breach of the immigration laws.

Dual nationality

14. People who are naturalised as British citizens may, as a result, lose or risk losing their existing nationality or citizenship. This depends on the law of the country concerned. You should contact the authorities of the country concerned before you apply for naturalisation.

Notes

1. The person applying must have a good enough knowledge of the language to deal with everyday situations. He or she does not have to be able to read or write the language. The Home Secretary may decide that the person does not have to meet this requirement if he or she is old or physically or mentally disabled.

The law covering naturalisation is in the British Nationality Act 1981 and the Regulations made under it. The information given here is only a brief guide to the law and to the Home Secretary's policy. It is not a complete statement of either the law or policy.

ALSO>>>>>

ENGLISH AND CITIZENSHIP TO HELP INTEGRATION AND MAKE PEOPLE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

An independent report today made recommendations to the Government on how to make sure all new citizens can speak English and have an understanding of UK institutions.

Proposals from the independent Life in the United Kingdom advisory group suggest a short practical course and assessment in both language and citizenship which all prospective Britons would be expected to complete.

It also advises that a “Living in the United Kingdom” handbook should be produced for new immigrants which would be based on the course and include a short historical introduction about the UK.

cipate in a common culture - that is why it is so important that new citizens should have a sufficient knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic.

"We do not want the burden to be onerous but plainly citizenship is more esteemed and valued when it is earned and not given."

The Home Secretary, David Blunkett, said:

“I want to encourage people who are permanently settled in this country to apply for citizenship here. In common with people in this country from many different cultural backgrounds, I think being British is something to be proud of. The common values that bind us together as a nation should be celebrated.

"The report says that "an understanding of the basic history of the United Kingdom can strengthen commitment to common values, as true for the old inhabitants as the new" and this is a view I fully endorse. An understanding of our history underpins an understanding of life in the UK.

"I also welcome the emphasis on English - acquiring English is a pre-requisite to social integration, to further education and employment and to the well-being of succeeding generations.

"Citizenship brings responsibilities as well as rights and it is important that new citizens understand and respect the UK culture and its laws.”

The final report in the Life in the United Kingdom group suggests that the citizenship curriculum should cover the following six categories:

British National Institutions in recent historical context - including  the rise of Parliamentary democracy, the present electoral system and opportunities for participation in community engagement and volunteering;

Britain as a multicultural society - including the making of the United Kingdom, the historic four nations and the changing role and status of women in both custom and law;

knowing the law - including the rights and duties of a citizen, magistrates courts and the Crown courts;

employment - including understanding how to get a job, the National Insurance system and access to small business opportunities;

sources of help and information - including Citizens' Advice centres, libraries and national, local and community newspapers; and

everyday needs - including types of housing, ways of paying bills and what makes for good neighbours.

The other main recommendations of the group are:

prospective citizens should be assessed on their progress in English and would have to move from one ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) level to another, with the minimum being moving from no English to a sufficient level to take up unskilled employment;

applicants will learn English and citizenship in parallel

>>>>>>

and lots more for after the pub meetings

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/

:o  :cool:

No idea about the law I'm afraid but my brother's friend is half thai with thai passport (grew up in the UK).  He was going to apply for a Thai ID card then discovered it would be to his serious disadvantage.  I'm not sure exactly why but if you want to know more PM me and I'll ask him.