3 Weeks In Isan

mikalmus

I'm going back to Thailand in June for a month and have decided to explore Isan with a few days either end in Bangkok but not sure where to begin. Obviously tourism is less developed than the other regions but I only travel by government bus and eat in Thai restaurants anyway, so the most important thing is guesthouses and attraction.

I am on what is probably considered a tight budget and would like to visit 4 or 5 places for 3 or 4 nights each.

Do you have any suggestions as to which towns/places are really worth a visit or just any regular advice would be really appreciated.

I'm going back to Thailand in June for a month and have decided to explore Isan with a few days either end in Bangkok but not sure where to begin. Obviously tourism is less developed than the other regions but I only travel by government bus and eat in Thai restaurants anyway, so the most important thing is guesthouses and attraction.

I am on what is probably considered a tight budget and would like to visit 4 or 5 places for 3 or 4 nights each.

Do you have any suggestions as to which towns/places are really worth a visit or just any regular advice would be really appreciated.

What kind of attractions do you enjoy?

really worth a visit: none

nice to visit: nearly the whole region, not just the few sites that are mentioned in any guidebook, mainly due to its heartwarming people. When you go off the beaten trek-then some knowledge of thai seems essential to me. Dont worry to much about just guesthss-any minor town also has some Thai style local hotel-with rooms just as cheap. Besides not telling anything about interests-you also did not tell at all if you have been there before or if you have some independent thai travel experience. Also: the only real govt. buses run non stop BKK-to every major city(mainly overnight) the local buses are just as private as about any Thai bus.

temples: the old style, Khmer tradition, (partly still closed off) Khao pra Viharn, Phimai, the other ones near Buriram

nature: 2 rivers in Kong Chyam-behind Ubon, several waterfalls, notable the Loei area, Phu Kradung-one of Thailds higehst mountains and overcrowded on weekends with dek naew from BKK-also near Loei.

major cities: Khorat, Khon Khaen, Ubon and Udorn-slow paced and freidnly, KK many students, but partly just as busy/same-same as any Thai town

a retreat look like Laos: the road along the Mekong river, all the way from above Loei-via NonghKhai-Beung Kham-Nkr phanom-That Phanom (famous temple)-Mukdaharn etc.