Where Has All The Wildlife Gone?

I can remember back in England, throwing pieces of bread out into the garden, than within seconds flocks of birds of different species were flocking down for a meal. But in my village here near Chom Thong, Chiang Mai. Seeing flocks of birds is a rarity.

Also can remember about 20 years ago in Chiang Mai that I was amazed at seeing all the beautiful butterflies, seem to come in every colour. These days also now a rarity. Same with the frogs, toads and even snake visitors to my land are few & far between.

There are hundreds of lizards that live with us in my property, but these are only of a few species, mainly jing Jocs.

Insect species, mostly mossies, flies, cockroaches and the usual wasps, but these days never see any of the more exotic insects.

Never seen any mammals other than buffalos, pigs, cats, dogs, rats, mice and the odd squirrel in the town.

Much of the wildlife here for some reason has depleted over the last 20 years.

Are there any wildlife experts on ThaiVisa that could enlighten us to why this is happening?

I can remember back in England, throwing pieces of bread out into the garden, than within seconds flocks of birds of different species were flocking down for a meal. But in my village here near Chom Thong, Chiang Mai. Seeing flocks of birds is a rarity.

Also can remember about 20 years ago in Chiang Mai that I was amazed at seeing all the beautiful butterflies, seem to come in every colour. These days also now a rarity. Same with the frogs, toads and even snake visitors to my land are few & far between.

There are hundreds of lizards that live with us in my property, but these are only of a few species, mainly jing Jocs.

Insect species, mostly mossies, flies, cockroaches and the usual wasps, but these days never see any of the more exotic insects.

Never seen any mammals other than buffalos, pigs, cats, dogs, rats, mice and the odd squirrel in the town.

Are there any wildlife experts on ThaiVisa that could enlighten us to why this is happening?

Wife says the same, when she wa s a kid in Loei used to be loads of wildlife now almost none, suspect chemical pesticides/herbicides etc etc

agriculture and pollution killed fragile insects and smaller animals, the bigger escaped into the jungle or were killed for food.

I do have a house in the bangkok's suburbs bordering with orchards and empty, ovegrown land - there are variety of birds, lizards, insects and the khlong, even dirty, is brimming with fish. They all live along domecticated animals.

there were more of wild creatures in the past, but still a lot remains

Same in the UK now. Many bird populations are diminishing. Largely down to human activity I suspect. Different and more intensive farming practices in particular, but also tidying up/renovation of green areas and old buildings.

If you look at a satellite photo of Thailand, you can clearly see the silhouette of the country as a grey mass surrounded by green neighbours. Unfortunately, I think that grey area will eventually cover the whole region.

Bung Boraphet. Seasonal for most birds though a few do stay there all year round. Sparrows seem to be round my part of the concrete jungle every day.

Plenty of Ing Hoi about. Big lizards too as well as plenty of smaller wildlife.

In town I saw a lizard that must have been 5 foot + from head to tail. The motorcyclists refused to try and drive round it. I bipped the horn and it moved on into so overgrown wasteland much to the relief of the cyclists.

A lot of Storks (maybe Herons?) about too on the wetlands nearby.

I see plenty of Butterflies but usually on waste ground that is overgrown. Are they also not seasonal? Though I do not know the seasons in Thailand for them.

On the whole, I agree, not as much wildlife as I would have expected.

rest assured.. Thailand is positively teeming with both birds, mammals (& reptiles)..

why aren't you seeing them in your own little urbanized miniscule fraction of the land as a whole ? well, as we've gradually moved in.. they've sharpishly moved out.

but you will still find them all, if you wait patiently enough, just around your 'little corner'

Talking with long-term Thai residents here, the absolute main reason was summed up as:

:o

When I first visited Thailand I would see plenty of that we called black seagulls at Songkla. Since then travelling through other parts of the country I’ve never seen wild birds in quantities like that.

Sadly upcountry I’ve seen people eat anything they could catch and eat. From skinny little egrets, a fresh water turtle big enough to fill a hand cart and what looked like a fresh water otter.

In the past year I’ve seen a couple of hawks? and a Hoopoe both of which I believe at migratory.

As a side note on a recent trip to Laos I also noticed a distinct lack of wild birds.

I guess my ' natural' garden and pond must be just too comfortable for them, We have no shortage of wildlife including any amount of different birds, sometimes two snakes a day including cobra's, kraits and Keelbacks not to mention lizards, all manner of frogs, the mississ is always throwing them over the wall but they just keep coming back. :o

Which reminds me, anyone know where I can buy a snake thumper? Like this solar powered one

http://www.stop-snakes.com/

Id hardly call the wifes village in Loei urbanised and her land is well out of the village.

Sh*t---I always quote Janwat Loei as being the one part of Thailand where you STILL can find wildlife--is the missus saying this is now not true?

I saw a pine marten-type animal crossing the road in front of my truck on a back road to the edge of the Mekong, and then a large monitor lizard a few Km further on--but this was quite some years ago.

• 1 month later...

Two days ago we had an excavator enlarging and deepening a pond. Parked on the land was a mechanical buffalo. About two hours later a group of about six Thais came carrying muzzle loaders with a group of dogs. and a burlap bag. They emptied the bag on the trailer behind the Kubota. In the bag were a number of birds and small animals. One was a bright green bird that looked like a parrot except the beak was not the parrot type. There were a few squirrel looking animals and one mongoose. I thought it was quite disgusting. I told my wife that I truly hope one of them gets snake bit during their next hunting trip because they killed the mongoose and deserve to get bit. I told my wife to tell them that the next time they want to hunt, I'd buy a couple of chickens for them. They told my wife that these wild creatures are more delicious than chicken.

Sadly there are very few Thais that are concerned with the lessening numbers of certain species. Many Thais like to eat and they like money. Any animal is seen as fair game, no matter the rareity. They eat it or sell it to other overseas Asian Markets. I once saw a Slow Loris being sold over a counter at Chucuchak market.

There are of course exceptions, Dr Poonswad has acheived much with her campaign to keep the numbers of Hornbills steady over the years. And there are some good nature guides in thailands national parks. The Gibbon numbers are holding up well through chairty organisations.

If you want to see wildlife then the National Parks are the place. Avoid the weekends. Most locals simply visit the parks to eat, litter, take some pictures and leave.

We live here in Lampang and a day does not go past without seeing snakes in the garden, we have a fairly large pond and our property is surrounded by a stream hence masses of frogs for the snakes, we have so many birds and not only the sparrows but all types have appeared since the garden has started to mature {it's still only 3yrs old} I have been amazed at the different varieties visiting recently.

But in the local Thursday evening market you can see young squirrells for sale and at the shops behind Big C I have been offered a very young woodpecker still being hand fed both obviously poached from their respective nests and drays, any shortage of live animals is I think partly the fault of thais catching and selling them, just look how many singing birds that are now in captivity.