Import Tax - Halogen Lamps

Hssl

I need to import some Halogen Lamps from a company in Taiwan to Thailand, its just the lamp not a complete light, they are small and lightweight but fragile. Standard air mail might be the way to go but i am worried about the units being damaged in transit and not having any recourse. Also what would be the import tax on such an item?

The export cost is about 1200B per lamp

Any ideas people?

TIA

Hssl

Estimating import duties on individual items brought in without an agent to negotiate are problematic in Thailand. :o

Plan on 100%, but could be only 40%. Depends on who is bringing it in and probably the mood of the custom agent.

TH

If your proforma invoice is less than US$100 and they will not even look at it...

Send then standard airmail in a bubble plastic envelope wrapped in the bubble wrap, should be ok

I need to import some Halogen Lamps from a company in Taiwan to Thailand, its just the lamp not a complete light, they are small and lightweight but fragile. Standard air mail might be the way to go but i am worried about the units being damaged in transit and not having any recourse. Also what would be the import tax on such an item?

The export cost is about 1200B per lamp

Any ideas people?

TIA

Hssl

Hi,

I am starting to do importing too. I found this website:

igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Just do a search on bulb.

I found the Thai tariff code of '70111090'. The standard tariff is 30%, but it has been reduced to 5%.

Just select All under the "Please Select Preference" menu ring. Then click on the "show" hyperlink to get the tariff and all the reduction that apply to it.

Philster

PS: The bulbs may also be subject to a 7% VAT tax in addition to the tariff. I don't know ....

Hand carry in a few at a time. Should have no problem. If a tax is requested by the custom at the airport, you know what to do.

Bad advice - if you get caught smuggling the fines can be very heavy and they don't always accept an 'on-the-spot' fine with no receipt.

If your proforma invoice is less than US$100 and they will not even look at it...

Send then standard airmail in a bubble plastic envelope wrapped in the bubble wrap, should be ok

That may be true for standard airmail, but if you use a courier service, DHL, FedEx or UPS, they will get you everytime, not matter how small the amount. With UPs, you end up paying more for some reason.

TH