Farang Dies From Driving On Wrong Side Of The Road

fiddlehead

Came home about midnight Sunday night and saw there was lots of flashing lights and a mangled up pickup truck near my home by Mangosteen Hill.

In the morning, local gossip has it that a farang left the 7-11 and made it that far driving on the wrong side of the road where he had a head on collision with a vehicle driven by a Thai woman.

Farang died, Thai woman is supposedly in the hospital in ICU.

Good luck to her.

Possibly an American or European who hasn't been in Phuket too long? When I first drove overseas, I occasionally found myself on the wrong side of the road - particularly after turning corners. My sympathy to the farang's family and wishing a speedy recovery to the Thai woman.

E:T

Edited by Ping

I have at least one driving experience every couple of days during high season where someone, usually a tourist on a motorbike is driving on the wrong side of the road - the more humerus of these is where tourists in cars are driving in and out of the Jungceylon shopping center underground parking complex, the wrong way! Trying to point out that they're on the wrong side of the road is to be met with a lot of verbal abuse and single digit salutes!!

Ummm...

I think your information is wrong about the parties involved in the crash.

As we were at "a great rawai steakhouse" late into the evening, we came upon this accident, and have photos to back up this story, and it involved a "brand name cola delivery truck" and by the looks of it, (having 12 years of Fire Fighting and Rescue experience), I would say that the two cars hit each other while both were at really high speeds. We followed the wrecker with said delivery pick up, and it took 2 hours to drag it from the scene to the circle in Chalong. It could not roll on its own. It was literally dragged (drug) of the scene.

Oh, and there were MULTIPLE BODIES!!!!

but who really wants the truth?

todd

Ummm...

As we were at "a great rawai steakhouse" late into the evening, we came upon this accident, and have photos to back up this story, and it involved a "brand name cola delivery truck" and by the looks of it, (having 12 years of Fire Fighting and Rescue experience), I would say that the two cars hit each other while both were at really high speeds. We followed the wrecker with said delivery pick up, and it took 2 hours to drag it from the scene to the circle in Chalong. It could not roll on its own. It was literally dragged (drug) of the scene.

todd

Sounds like a real bad crash then...

Ummm...

todd

Interesting post.

I was unaware that they were training rescue personnel in determining the speeds of vehicles involved in crashes. How did you determine both vehicles were in fact speeding? What type of speed are you talking about, Highspeed?

He must have been drunk or crazy or both, my guess crazy drunk :o . What you do, saw a pick-up loaded with at least 10-15 people at a Jiffey conveninet store, driver without doubt from my view point is drunk or high on something, he drove off people all happy sing a song, heard no reports of accidents the area involving a pick-up, so maybe, thank goodness they made it to where ever, SAFE!! :D:D

He must have been drunk or crazy or both, my guess crazy drunk :o . What you do, saw a pick-up loaded with at least 10-15 people at a Jiffey conveninet store, driver without doubt from my view point is drunk or high on something, he drove off people all happy sing a song, heard no reports of accidents the area involving a pick-up, so maybe, thank goodness they made it to where ever, SAFE!! :D:D

Maybe they are still circling looking for someone innocent to run into ? :D

Possibly an American or European who hasn't been in Phuket too long? When I first drove overseas, I occasionally found myself on the wrong side of the road - particularly after turning corners. My sympathy to the farang's family and wishing a speedy recovery to the Thai woman.

E:T

your right it is easily done,did it myself while living in vancouver,had a few beers(before seat belt days and dui days)anyway i turned into a one way system only to be met by a transit bus,just managed to drag the car up on the curb in time,scared the sh-t out of me.and had done many times when turning right too.

Ummm...

todd

Yes, i don't pretend to know what happened for sure.

I saw the pickup truck when i came home (maybe you were there??) and it looked like no one could've survived.

Then in the morning, my wife told me the local gossip about the farang on the wrong side of the road.

It remains dangerous.

Driving low speed in the Khao Lak beach area, a farang driven car came straight towards mine, at the wrong side of the road. I started honking and flashing my headlights, and only after some delay the guy moved to the left side of the road. When he drove past me, he looked at me like I was a total nutcase.

It could happen to anyone though. Once, when I had lived in Thailand a long time already, I left my parents house on bicycle. It was sunday, and because it is a nice countryside area close to the city, there were a lot of people walking.

They were all looking at me a bit strangely, and I checked if I had maybe left my fly open.

Then it got through to me that I was riding at the left side of the road, in the Netherlands you are supposed to keep right.

As someone with 30 years fire and rescue experience the answer yes you can make educated guesses as how fast vehicles were going, amount of damage to both cars or a comparison bewteen them, length of skid marks [road not underwear] and other factors.

stu&chris,

Well I was actually trying to work out what sort of formal training that flamingtodd had in regards to this because when it comes to things like accusing both cars of travelling at high speed and that type of thing one should be accurate and not just using the educated guess routine.

You are right that the speed can be determined, but surely that is better left to people that actually know what they are talking about rather than just from someone who turns up to collisions afterwards and makes educated guess.

Experienced people that are involved in one area of this sort of thing shouldnt get mixed up with the idea that they know everything that relates to something completely different to what they have been trained for. I can imagine how Fire & Rescue type personnel would be the first to speak up if a collision reconstructionist was to start making assumptions in relation to how the jaws of life could best be utilised to open a wrecked car?

As I first pointed out, its probably NOT fair to assume or make reckless statements regarding that both vehicles were travelling at high speed, when its highly possible one of them may not have been doing anything wrong.

Edited by neverdie

As someone with 30 years fire and rescue experience the answer yes you can make educated guesses as how fast vehicles were going, amount of damage to both cars or a comparison bewteen them, length of skid marks [road not underwear] and other factors.

stu&chris,

Well I was actually trying to work out what sort of formal training that flamingtodd had in regards to this because when it comes to things like accusing both cars of travelling at high speed and that type of thing one should be accurate and not just using the educated guess routine.

You are right that the speed can be determined, but surely that is better left to people that actually know what they are talking about rather than just from someone who turns up to collisions afterwards and makes educated guess.

Experienced people that are involved in one area of this sort of thing shouldnt get mixed up with the idea that they know everything that relates to something completely different to what they have been trained for. I can imagine how Fire & Rescue type personnel would be the first to speak up if a collision reconstructionist was to start making assumptions in relation to how the jaws of life could best be utilised to open a wrecked car?

As I first pointed out, its probably NOT fair to assume or make reckless statements regarding that both vehicles were travelling at high speed, when its highly possible one of them may not have been doing anything wrong.

After viewing said accident,i was able to determine that both cars were in fact travelling at the speed of light...... :o

Its not just driving on the wrong side of the road that causes lots of injuries and accidents. The one off Iv'e had was caused by a drunken farang coming out of a bar, walking to the side of the road, looking left and then stepping straight out in front of me leaving me nowhere to go.

Europeans and Americans are used to looking left then right when crossing the road. Here they need to remember to look right then left.

He was lucky I was on a bike. He got up brushed himself down and walked away. I was left with broken ribs, lots of missing skin and 6 months off work and out of the water. In a pick up or car he would be dead. I wonder just how many people do it ? :o

Its not just driving on the wrong side of the road that causes lots of injuries and accidents. The one off Iv'e had was caused by a drunken farang coming out of a bar, walking to the side of the road, looking left and then stepping straight out in front of me leaving me nowhere to go.

Europeans and Americans are used to looking left then right when crossing the road. Here they need to remember to look right then left.

He was lucky I was on a bike. He got up brushed himself down and walked away. I was left with broken ribs, lots of missing skin and 6 months off work and out of the water. In a pick up or car he would be dead. I wonder just how many people do it ? :o

I did it once .. almost .. first time back in TL, walking around in the outskirts of C'mai, just about to step off the curb .. looked left. A tour bus roared past. Scary. :D