Marriage Visa New Rules ?

It has come to my attention that the Visa rules for the Non Imm "O" marriage are not correct (?) in ThaiVisa Forum anymore.

At the forum it says at follows.......

+++++

Non Imm "O" - marriage

Thursday, 21 December 2006

Documents to submit for visa based on marriage to a Thai national

Application Form TM.7.

Copy and original of passport or substitute document.

One 4*6 cm photo

Marriage certificate

1,900 Baht fee

If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts.

Source: Immigration Bureau, Bangkok

+++++

I just learned in different german forums that there are new orders since December 2008. Can someone here confirme that?

New rule says you have to show an income of 40,000.- THB per month. OR 400,000,-THB longer than 3 month on the account, when applying for a marriage Visa.

It doesnt say the farang have to show the 40k, it can also be made as an income of normal work or a buisiness of its wife in Thailand.

Does anyone know here about that?

Thanks in advance for helping me with that question and have a nice day

The new Police Order No. 777/2541 regarding extensions of stay took effect on 25 November 2008. Please see paragraph 2.18(6) regarding the so-called marriage extenson:

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

--

Maestro

You'll need a hel_l of a lot more documentation than what Immigration pathetically advise you!!

TM7 application form x2 & 2 photos

B1,900 fee

Passport & attached Arrival Card (TM6)

Signed copy of passport & Arrival Card x2

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert x2

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan x2

Wife's ID card

Signed copy of ID card x2

Signed copy of wife's passport x2

Bank letter stating you have more than B400K for 2 months x2

Copy of letter x2

Original Bank book

Signed copy of Bank book x2

Signed map of address x2

Photos of you and spouse around the house x2

Edited by jamesjdaly

Not to detract from the OP's post but can someone explain the 400k scenario to me. If I put 400k in a thai bank and just leave it there does that mean I can just renew my non imm O every year? That is, regardless of how much I earn / spend in Thailand.

Not to detract from the OP's post but can someone explain the 400k scenario to me. If I put 400k in a thai bank and just leave it there does that mean I can just renew my non imm O every year? That is, regardless of how much I earn / spend in Thailand.

Are you writing about a visa or extension of stay?

If a visa the entire 400,000 is not required to get a new visa (visas are not renewed).

If an extension the answer is yes. You can either leave it there or use it during the year and the top it up 2 months before you apply for your next extension.

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 2 months before he applies.

This month in Ayutthaya said, the 400 `000.- Baht would have 3 months in the Bankaccount!

This is from the official police order.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Maybe they do not know the rules.

If a visa the entire 400,000 is not required to get a new visa (visas are not renewed).

If an extension the answer is yes. You can either leave there or use it during the year and the top it up 2 months before you get you apply for your next extension.

Sorry to be unclear. I have trouble understanding which visa I need when I move permanently to LOS. I assume it is a marriage visa. So for me it would be a new visa based on marriage which is one year?

From what you are saying it sounds like I wouldn't need the 400k for the visa but would need it for the renewal. Is this correct?

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 2 months before he applies.

This month in Ayutthaya said, the 400 `000.- Baht would have 3 months in the Bankaccount!

The rules say 2 months.

There was report that Pattaya is using 3 months as the requirement.

I guess all you can do is go along with it or try and point out the rule to them by printing out the Thai version of the police order and showing them clause 2.18 (6).

If an extension the answer is yes. You can either leave there or use it during the year and the top it up 2 months before you get you apply for your next extension.

Sorry to be unclear. I have trouble understanding which visa I need when I move permanently to LOS. I assume it is a marriage visa. So for me it would be a new visa based on marriage which is one year?

From what you are saying it sounds like I wouldn't need the 400k for the visa but would need it for the renewal. Is this correct?

There is no such thing as a Married Visa. A Non Imm O Visa does not require the 400,000 in a bank. The extension does.

Enter Thailand with a Non O Imm Visa. When your 400,000 Baht has been in a Thai bank for at least 2 months go to Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension of stay. You will also need a few other things, but not a problem.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in 30 days and get the remaining 11 months.

You then do not have to leave the country unless you want to. You do have to report to Immigration every 90 days with your address.

Re Apply every year with the same requirements.

There is no such thing as a Married Visa. A Non Imm O Visa does not require the 400,000 in a bank. The extension does.

Enter Thailand with a Non O Imm Visa. When your 400,000 Baht has been in a Thai bank for at least 2 months go to Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension of stay. You will also need a few other things, but not a problem.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in 30 days and get the remaining 11 months.

You then do not have to leave the country unless you want to. You do have to report to Immigration every 90 days with your address.

Re Apply every year with the same requirements.

Thanks Lite Beer. That sounds like a piece of cake. Reading through Thai Visa it seems quite complicated. But acccording to this I just turn up, whack 400k in the bank and I can stay :o

Can I work on this visa if I want to?

NB: I assume this is useful info for the OP and the topic in general.

You can get a non immigrant O visa based upon marriage at a Thai consulate or embassy. It can be a single or multiple entry. A single would give you one 90 day permit to stay on entry. A multiple entry alows to leave an re-enter the country as many tiimes a you wish for 1 year getting 90 days each entry.

An extension based upon marriage would extend any permit to stay you get using the visa for a period of on year. For this you need the 40K income or 400K in the bank.

[Thanks Lite Beer. That sounds like a piece of cake. Reading through Thai Visa it seems quite complicated. But acccording to this I just turn up, whack 400k in the bank and I can stay :o

NB: I assume this is useful info for the OP and the topic in general.

Its easy to get an extension. As you said just deposit the money in bank here in your name and then after 2 months apply for the extension.

You can get a work permit with either a visa or an extension of stay. A work permit would allow you to work.

Thanks Lite Beer. That sounds like a piece of cake. Reading through Thai Visa it seems quite complicated. But acccording to this I just turn up, whack 400k in the bank and I can stay :o

You can apply for a Work Permit with this extension. (It is not a Visa)

To apply for the extension you need.

A letter from your bank showing the balance. An uptodate bank book showing the same balance. Marriage Certificate. Wife's ID Card and house book. Passport size photo. A map showing the way to your house. Photos of you and your Wife together in and around the house. Take your Wife to be interviewd.

Thanks Lite Beer. So if I get a non imm O I don't need to show the funds in the bank?

Is the single entry 90 days only or can I keep extending it?

If I get a multiple entry I have to do 90 day border runs? but it is for one year? And I don't need to show the money?

I'm not sure when I go from non imm O to extension :o ?

Thanks for your help.

If you get a single entry after you have the money in the bank for 60 days you can get the 1 year extension. If you don't get the one year extesnion you have to leave and get a new visa.

Yes you have to make border runs every 90 days with a multiple entry visa.

If you get a multiple entry and have the money in the bank you can apply for the 1 year extension during the last 30 days of any entry as long as the money has been the bank for 60 days,

Thankyou Joe.

According to this "Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )" it would appear I only need evidence of 20k to enter.

So am I to assume if I leave 20k in a bank account I can do 90 day visa runs? Not ideal nor desirable but I just want to understand my options as business is slow and blah blah blah...

Should I enter I would need to work (after writing my book - approx 6 months) so as not to go insane. Would I then need to get the extension with the 400k in bank to get a work permit?

They never check for the 20K when entering the country. So don't worry about that.

If you found a job you could get a work permit with the multiple entry. Every time you left and re-entered you would have to get a new stamp in your work permit at the labour department to make it valid for another 90 days.

Thanks again. I know this isn't even my thread and I'm taking it over but... there just seems to be so many alternatives.

As a relatively young man, who will be married to a thai in 6 weeks, what is the best and easiest visa / permit for me to live in Thailand on and be able to work if I want to? Ideally I wouldn't be doing visa runs every 90 days but I'd be close to Malaysia so it wouldn't be a problem if I had to.

Then I'll leave you alone :o .

Thanks again. I know this isn't even my thread and I'm taking it over but... there just seems to be so many alternatives.

As a relatively young man, who will be married to a thai in 6 weeks, what is the best and easiest visa / permit for me to live in Thailand on and be able to work if I want to? Ideally I wouldn't be doing visa runs every 90 days but I'd be close to Malaysia so it wouldn't be a problem if I had to.

12 monthly extensions from Immigration with 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. Stay for one year with no border runs. 1,900 Baht fee. Apply every year.

You should get a tourist visa first. Get married and then get the non-o in KL or Penang. You will need show some money in the bank to get the visa at those consulates. The non-o based upon marrigae is the best visa you can get.

12 monthly extensions from Immigration with 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. Stay for one year with no border runs. 1,900 Baht fee. Apply every year.

Thank you Lite Beer and Joe.

I appreciate you putting up with my dumb questions. If your down south in April the beers will be on me!

Then I'll leave you alone :D .

Thank you Lite Beer and Joe.

I appreciate you putting up with my dumb questions. If your down south in April the beers will be on me!

You would still need a Work Permit to work. But that's another story. :o

You should get a tourist visa first. Get married and then get the non-o in KL or Penang. You will need show some money in the bank to get the visa at those consulates. The non-o based upon marrigae is the best visa you can get.

I see why you say KL or Penang!