Import Tariffs

Hi,

I am a newbie. I am moving to Thailand with my Thai wife in a few weeks. I am setting up a small shop to assemble electronic products from Thai and Chinese parts and export them back to the USA.

I just sent some parts to my relatives and they had to pay an import tariff. I am wondering if anyone would know if I can get that tariff money refunded back to me after I export the products back to the USA ?

The customs people also wanted an additional 7% VAT tax on top of the tariff, but my relatives told them they didn't have enough baht on them so the customs guy changed the part type in the invoice to avoid that VAT tax (my kind of country) !!

So I am also wondering if I can get this VAT tax refunded as well as the import tariff ?

Thanks for any help,

Philster

I am setting up a small shop to assemble electronic products from Thai and Chinese parts and export them back to the USA.

I just sent some parts to my relatives and they had to pay an import tariff. I am wondering if anyone would know if I can get that tariff money refunded back to me after I export the products back to the USA ?

The customs people also wanted an additional 7% VAT tax on top of the tariff, but my relatives told them they didn't have enough baht on them so the customs guy changed the part type in the invoice to avoid that VAT tax (my kind of country) !!

So I am also wondering if I can get this VAT tax refunded as well as the import tariff ?

Philster

Products imported into a country you have to pay import duty and over tat VAT.

When you process these itmes in a country, the country of origin changes, with result at import into the USA it is seen as: product of TH and NOT ... for instance .. China.

When you export , you get the paid VAT back / can compensate this with the paid VAT. In THailand Tax Revenue is not the fastest in paying back VAT. Remind: value added by YOUR work etc there is NO VAT paid over, so not to be 'charged back".

Best is to talk with the customs about that.

For a company VAT ends up neutral: you pay .. 1000 THB ( at import, domestic purchases, electricity, tel bill etc ) , you can charge .. 10 baht ( sales domestic, rest 0 as on export no VAT is charged), so get back.. 1000 - 10 = 990 THB

For import duty, taric code ( = harmonized customs code: see for EU the below mentioned website.

Any questions: info at thaitrade dot nl

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/c...tarchap?Lang=EN